"I Still Believe Homosexuality is a choice..."

Started by Aletheia, December 04, 2014, 03:54:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on December 04, 2014, 02:05:44 PM
It's not a choice for me. When I lived on Miami Beach I was declared the straightest man on Earth. Sorry, guys.

Yeah, after 4 years in the Navy-about 1.5 years at sea aboard ship- I can guarantee I'll never get a stiffie over a man. I've seen my share of nekkid bodies.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Aletheia on December 04, 2014, 02:22:48 PM
It's ok, the gay community will manage without your undeniable beauty in the ranks. It won't be easy, but they'll survive.
Yeah, that's what they said. ;-)
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

GrinningYMIR

You can't control who you're attracted to, whether you act on that is another matter. And people aren't locked into one sexual preference, straight gay or otherwise

Actually read a study once that said that stuff that happened during puberty had an effect on sexuality, or at least a little on what attracts you. Something along the line of seeing it unlocks something subconsciously and you think "I like that" without registering it. The reason given was that people need to spread the gene pool so they hunt it down or something, it made a little sense

Anyway what I was getting at is that people have a lot of sexual preferences, and that's not even including individual sexual fetishes and kinks, that's all over the place. Being gay isn't a choice ing that'd, neither is beig straight, at most people can force themselves one way and it might work, but it is the exception and not the rule
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Solitary

I have twelve inches, but as a rule I don't use it.  :eek: :lipsrsealed:
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Munch

Homosexuality is about choice. I can choose if i would fancy 12 inch black, or 12 inch white, or the latino variety.
We also have a nice choice of strawberry, lemon, banana or peace flavor.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

PickelledEggs

His opinion isn't that homosexuality is a choice; it's that the studies that back up the fact that it isn't a choice seems wrong to him. His claim that it IS a choice is not an opinion, it's simply misinformation....

Great response, though Aletheia. Very well said.

Berati

I don't think its a choice nor do I believe that it matters even if it were.
Carl Sagan
"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Berati on December 05, 2014, 11:49:42 PM
I don't think its a choice nor do I believe that it matters even if it were.
I agree. If you want to have fun with someone of your own sex what's the big deal.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Munch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on December 06, 2014, 05:51:15 AM
I agree. If you want to have fun with someone of your own sex what's the big deal.

The big deal is that gawd (if you take into account gawd is the mindset of primitive desert peddlers from 2000 years ago) thinks its wrong, and thats what matters.

the_antithesis

The way homosexuals are treated, why the fuck would anyone choose to be gay?

SGOS

Quote from: Munch on December 06, 2014, 08:17:52 AM
The big deal is that gawd (if you take into account gawd is the mindset of primitive desert peddlers from 2000 years ago) thinks its wrong, and thats what matters.
A guy once told me, "The only reason you believe there's nothing wrong with homosexuality is because you don't believe in God.  There's a shitload of questions one can then ask about this person's view.  For one, is the only reason he believes there is something wrong with it is because he believes in God?  I don't presume the dynamics are that simple of course, but he does think the dynamics are that simple for me.   Does he take into account any of his own feelings, or has he considered not worrying about what others do?  No.  On the surface, it's just what God tells him.  That's what he's says he goes by.

Of course, this is bullshit.  God tells him whatever he defines what God is saying, which of course comes from inside his brain, not God's.  So he's got his personal dynamic at work whether he stops to see what it is or not.  He's also armed with a load of scientific information.  Apparently, scientists agree that homosexuality is not normal.  I have no idea what his sources were for that, but clearly, there's more than just God involved in his bias.

Now this is not some internet troll.  This is a real guy who boasts an IQ of 190.  I'm not making this up.  He said he was told he has a 190 IQ, and he knows it's true because he can tell he's smarter than most people.  He's quite sincere.  Now obviously, he has a low functioning intellectual ability, which becomes apparent during any short conversation with him.  But he believes he knows the score, and you don't.  And he believes it's up to society to save gays from themselves.  He's just doing his part by sharing is vast store of knowledge.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Munch on December 06, 2014, 08:17:52 AM
Only in certain religions.
PZ Myers

Munch

Quote from: SGOS on December 06, 2014, 10:11:56 AM
A guy once told me, "The only reason you believe there's nothing wrong with homosexuality is because you don't believe in God.  There's a shitload of questions one can then ask about this person's view.  For one, is the only reason he believes there is something wrong with it is because he believes in God?  I don't presume the dynamics are that simple of course, but he does think the dynamics are that simple for me.   Does he take into account any of his own feelings, or has he considered not worrying about what others do?  No.  On the surface, it's just what God tells him.  That's what he's says he goes by.

Of course, this is bullshit.  God tells him whatever he defines what God is saying, which of course comes from inside his brain, not God's.  So he's got his personal dynamic at work whether he stops to see what it is or not.  He's also armed with a load of scientific information.  Apparently, scientists agree that homosexuality is not normal.  I have no idea what his sources were for that, but clearly, there's more than just God involved in his bias.

Now this is not some internet troll.  This is a real guy who boasts an IQ of 190.  I'm not making this up.  He said he was told he has a 190 IQ, and he knows it's true because he can tell he's smarter than most people.  He's quite sincere.  Now obviously, he has a low functioning intellectual ability, which becomes apparent during any short conversation with him.  But he believes he knows the score, and you don't.  And he believes it's up to society to save gays from themselves.  He's just doing his part by sharing is vast store of knowledge.

It sounds to me like this guy you mentioned might have Savant syndrome? He's apparently a genius but has a mental disorder in believing in unfounded fairytales and thinks it has a standard in reality.

stromboli

The guy that won all the money on Jeopardy, Ken Jennings, is a Mormon and hasn't renounced his religion. The guy that wrote "Ender's Game" is a college professor and very antigay. Being brilliant doesn't mean you can't still apply cognitive dissonance to aspects of life. I knew a Mormon bishop that was a professor at Harvard. Takes all kinds.

Gawdzilla Sama

"It takes more than being smart to be intelligent."
PZ Myers