"Religion is always evil" DISCLAIMER: TEST

Started by mediumaevum, November 26, 2014, 07:54:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mediumaevum

EDITED: PLEASE DO NOT FALL FOR THIS THREAD IT IS A TEST!

----------

I bet religion is only evil because it is a conform-seeking without paying attention to common sense.

So is any idea with an ism. Communism. Capitalism (or consumerism if you want). Fascism.

Common to all of them, is that people will have to abandon their own thoughts, their own ideas and their own observations.

I think that we have to seperate spirituality from religion. Religion can and mostly do, contain spiritual elements. But that is just a part of religion. It is not what makes religion evil, what makes religion evil is its strict adherence to conformity.

Spirituality can be both literate and a belief in the supernatural. By literal spirituality, I refer to philosophical heureka-moments. The "Of COURSE! THAT's how it works!" or, as Archimedes would have said: Heureka!

I think religion is a product derived from heureka, and then mass-produced to consumers. But as with everything mass-produced to consumers, it lose its quality and freshness.
Religion is a type of canned heureka-moment!

PickelledEggs

I might be too tired to figure out what you're talking about. I hope 3 hours of sleep wont kill me at work today....

mediumaevum

Quote from: PickelledEggs on November 26, 2014, 08:29:00 AM
I might be too tired to figure out what you're talking about. I hope 3 hours of sleep wont kill me at work today....

I will simplify my post, for the sake of you:

* Religion is evil because it is a method of conforming. Not because of it's spiritual elements.

* I divide Spiritual elements into two cathegories: a) Supernatural (belief in holy as well as unholy ghosts etc.) and b) Literature/philosophy.

* Philosophy provides you with a "heureka" moment, as Archimedes would have said it.

* Religion describes these heureka moments, and simplify them for the masses.

* When you get a heureka moment from religion, instead of seeking it from its original source (philosophy) it is comparable to fresh food vs. canned food.
Where religion is your canned food.

I hope you understand now.

I could simplify even better:

Religion is not the real thing. Philosophy has the real thing.

PickelledEggs

Philosophy is not a "real thing" either. It's subjective. In fact, religions are different philosophies.

Sent from your mom.

mediumaevum

Quote from: PickelledEggs on November 26, 2014, 08:57:28 AM
Philosophy is not a "real thing" either. It's subjective. In fact, religions are different philosophies.

Sent from your mom.

Depends on what I meant by "real thing". Coca Cola is the real thing. Baldur cola is not.

It's that type of "real thing". I wasn't refering to reality of the universe or life. I was refering to the heureka moment.

Religion is a canned version of philsophy. It does not provide with arguments.

mediumaevum

I am not a troll, but I actually did a test on you.

I have noticed that since I came here, you people have talked down to me, and said everything I say is bullshit, out of touch, not worth discussing etc. etc.

So, I did a test here. I presented some arguments AGAINST religion. Carefully wrapped up like a christmas gift, but still, it was an argument against religion and pro-atheist.

Yet, you say I am wrong.

PickelledEggs

Religion is a canned version of philosophy? That is the biggest load of shit I have seen all day. And I just shit out 2 boxes of Milk Duds, a box of Charleston Chew, and half a box of Tootsie Rolls that were washed down with a few bottles of porter stout. Let me ask you this; How often do you crap and fart?

I am sure people that has "found christ" or "found allah" had that heureka moment you are talking about. Even if the philosophy you are referring to in the op is being flexible with how you see things, that in it's self is a philosophy.

I'm out of this discussion. I may be exhausted, but this is conversation is turning stupid real fast.
Quote from: mediumaevum on November 26, 2014, 09:26:59 AM

I have noticed that since I came here, you people have talked down to me, and said everything I say is bullshit, out of touch, not worth discussing etc. etc.

So, I did a test here. I presented some arguments AGAINST religion. Carefully wrapped up like a christmas gift, but still, it was an argument against religion and pro-atheist.

Yet, you say I am wrong.
Testing us? Who are you, Frosty? And I don't know about "not worth discussing" but everything you have posted, including this HAS been bullshit.

mediumaevum

Quote from: PickelledEggs on November 26, 2014, 09:33:10 AM
Religion is a canned version of philosophy? That is the biggest load of shit I have seen all day. And I just shit out 2 boxes of Milk Duds, a box of Charleston Chew, and half a box of Tootsie Rolls that were washed down with a few bottles of porter stout. Let me ask you this; How often do you crap and fart?

I am sure people that has "found christ" or "found allah" had that heureka moment you are talking about. Even if the philosophy you are referring to in the op is being flexible with how you see things, that in it's self is a philosophy.

I'm out of this discussion. I may be exhausted, but this is conversation is turning stupid real fast.Testing us? Who are you, Frosty? And I don't know about "not worth discussing" but everything you have posted, including this HAS been bullshit.

I am not Frosty. I don't even know who he/she is.

mediumaevum

I will add to this case, that the "test" is restricted to this thread only. I have not done this anywhere else on this forum.

However, on other forums, I regularly do such tests, if people react to me the way you people did it throughout my time on this forum.
It seems like I can't say anything that is not bullshit to you. Even if I said:

"Atheism is the way to go, religion is not good" I bet, you would still call my post a bullshit.

Mister Agenda

There are many 'isms' I like. Metabolism, for one. Not every 'ism' is an ideology. Atheism and theism aren't ideologies, for instance, they are the conditions of not having or having a belief in some sort of supernatural God or gods.

When 'always' is put in a sentence, the odds of that sentence being true go down considerably, because any exception renders the sentence untrue. Is religion being evil when it engages in no-strings-attached charitable operations?
Atheists are not anti-Christian. They are anti-stupid.--WitchSabrina

Mister Agenda

Quote from: mediumaevum on November 26, 2014, 10:02:22 AM
I will add to this case, that the "test" is restricted to this thread only. I have not done this anywhere else on this forum.

However, on other forums, I regularly do such tests, if people react to me the way you people did it throughout my time on this forum.
It seems like I can't say anything that is not bullshit to you. Even if I said:

"Atheism is the way to go, religion is not good" I bet, you would still call my post a bullshit.

Well, we ought not to agree with a post just because it's written by a fellow atheist. Atheists have no special immunity to being wrong.
Atheists are not anti-Christian. They are anti-stupid.--WitchSabrina

Mr.Obvious

Besides, none of us share the same opinions 100%. We are not 'one collective' here on this forum; not one organism that thinks the same thing on everything. I think it only natural to expect at least someone to call you out on saying bullshit no matter what you say at no matter which at least marginaly popular forum on the internet. So if you're going to say that 'philosophy has the real thing', no matter what you say about religion or atheïsm, you can bet money that some will respond in disagreement.

Serious question though. If you've come to the point that you're testing people you don't even know through the internet because you keep getting treated unfairly or at least you have the feeling that everyone is unfair to you, shouldn't it be time to look at what you might be doing wrong? From your explanation it's clear we're not the only forum that you feel does you wrong. Perhaps you should ask yourself why you feel that way.
Is it the way you phrase things, making them come out more vague and less interesting/convincing to your fellow forumgoers?
Do you perhaps have unfair expectations of other people on the internet? After all if you care so much about being taken serious by a bunch of assholes behind their computers like us, may that be sign that you need a lot of validation/recognition and think you automatically deserve it?
Are you maybe trying to hard to fit in? Because it appears like you're trying, definitely in your other threads, but don't understand the concept. When I joined this forum I tried to make it an as little deal as possible. Hell, I tried to avoid attention. I wanted to understand what kind of people were behind the avatars and tried to make myself at home. But I sure as hell didn't look at the people on this forum from the outside. Which meant that it didn't even cross my mind to lay out 'tests'.

Now I'm not a psychologist. And I don't know you. So I could very well be way off. But I do know that if I run into a recurring problem in my life, I ask myself questions before thinking everyone is against me. If you haven't done that already, which you might have, please concider that before telling us we've failed your biased and self entitled test.

If you really want to be concidered a part of this forum; chill. And foremost don't come to a sceptic's playground and expect to not get told why your argument sucks. It's gonna happen.

P.S. Your test is this vague and ill-phrased so called "pro-atheïst" argument. And you get one negative response to it; a response not even going against anything 'pro-atheïst' but rather against 'philosophy'... And that's your proof that no matter what you say is bullshit to us? Really?
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Cocoa Beware

I dont think anything is truly good or evil.

Thats how religion tries to set it up, and it is a mistake.

Thackerie

Quote from: mediumaevum on November 26, 2014, 09:26:59 AM

Yet, you say I am wrong.

Wow. A christian being disingenuous. Surprise. Surprise.

Jason78

Quote from: mediumaevum on November 26, 2014, 07:54:13 AM
I bet religion is only evil because it is a conform-seeking without paying attention to common sense.

No.  Religion is evil because it encourages people to believe things that are not true.   And then they act on those beliefs as if they were true.

Picking a random religion as an example:  Jehova's witnesses will refuse a blood transfusion, even though it's perfectly safe.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato