Nome Alaska May Be first To Tax Churches/Nonprofits

Started by stromboli, November 14, 2014, 01:13:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/davidbadash/small_town_may_be_first_in_u_s_to_tax_its_churches

QuoteNome, Alaska, is a tiny town of less than 4000 people. Despite its size, its name is well-known, showing up in popular culture venues from "The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour" of the 1950's, to "The X-Files," to "The Simpsons Movie." And Nome is the finish line of the 1049 mile-long Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race.

Nome, Alaska, may one day soon be known for another reason: as the first American town to tax its churches.

Strapped for cash, the town's Finance Director, Julie Liew believes taxing churches and other non-profits could raise $300,000 annually. The city council has already met to debate the idea, and it looks like they may move forward.

“You get rid of the sales tax exemption, most of the time these other exemptions aren’t given â€" we’re a very nice city [to do] it,” City Council member Matt Culley said, according to KNOM. “When we sit down at budget time, [with] the numbers to look at, if we want to donate that [money back to nonprofits], the money can go all back in … but we have control over it now, as opposed to it going whatever direction that we have it going now.”

LOOK: America Spends $71 Billion Annually Subsidizing Tax-Exempt Religion

The city council says they could refund the taxes collected in the future if the town's coffers are more full.

Estimates vary, but studies show exempting religion from taxes in America costs the taxpayers between $71 billion and $83.5 billion a year.

For comparison, America's food stamp program costs about $75-80 billion a year.

Love to hear Pat Pat Robertson's response to this one. I would be just as happy if all the churches shut down for lack of participation and had for sale signs out front.

Solitary

:super: I hear ya! Just think if this was done world wide and the money that would actually go to help people.  :cool:
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

AllPurposeAtheist

But.. But...But.. COMMUNISM..errr PERSECUTION.... errr.. OBAMA!

BENGAZI! EBOLA! ISIS!.. :naughty:

Jesus Fucking Christ! Baby Jesus will freeze! They might as well start selling little frozen baby jesuses on a stick dipped in chocolate! :lol:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Minimalist

The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: Minimalist on November 14, 2014, 06:57:35 PM
What a great idea.

Yeah, I thought selling little frozen baby jesuses on a stick dipped in chocolate was pretty good too..

Atheon

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

stromboli

I like the idea of continually mentioning that 71 billion dollar figure. Lots of school lunches bought with that money, among other things. Religion is all about loving and caring but sacrifice their bankroll? Uh uh.

AllPurposeAtheist

The claim will be that god is tax exempt.. And the nitwits will buy it..

dtq123

A dark cloud looms over.
Festive cheer does not help much.
What is this, "Justice?"

stromboli