12 Year Old Boy Fatally Shot by Police (in Ohio)

Started by Deidre32, November 24, 2014, 07:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deidre32

Posted this on TTA, thought I'd post it here if you'd like to discuss.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/cleveland-police-shooting-boy-with-fake-gun-dies-after-being-shot-by-ohio-officer-9878700.html

Another tragic story. Now, in truth, the child was brandishing what looked to be a firearm. In this day and age, I can understand the cops being contacted, and arriving on the scene. But, what is interesting to note is that the 911 Dispatcher asked twice if the person brandishing what appeared to be a weapon of some type, was white or black.

From the article itself:

The 911 responder twice asked whether the boy was black or white before dispatching officers.

Why would that piece of info be relevant before dispatching police to the scene? Hmmm...

Think we all know that answer.
What a horribly senseless tragedy.  :sad:

The only lasting beauty, is the beauty of the heart. - Rumi

aitm

Quote from: Deidre32 on November 24, 2014, 07:04:06 PM

But, what is interesting to note is that the 911 Dispatcher asked twice if the person brandishing what appeared to be a weapon of some type, was white or black.

From the article itself:

The 911 responder twice asked whether the boy was black or white before dispatching officers.

Why would that piece of info be relevant before dispatching police to the scene?

She also continues to gather information as to what he is wearing..and don't you think a basic part of determining the identification of a suspect include the skin tint of said suspect? I would think that would come in right handy when you are racing to a scene where someone is threatening people with a gun.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

The Skeletal Atheist

Quote from: Deidre32 on November 24, 2014, 07:04:06 PM
Posted this on TTA, thought I'd post it here if you'd like to discuss.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/cleveland-police-shooting-boy-with-fake-gun-dies-after-being-shot-by-ohio-officer-9878700.html

Another tragic story. Now, in truth, the child was brandishing what looked to be a firearm. In this day and age, I can understand the cops being contacted, and arriving on the scene. But, what is interesting to note is that the 911 Dispatcher asked twice if the person brandishing what appeared to be a weapon of some type, was white or black.

From the article itself:

Why would that piece of info be relevant before dispatching police to the scene? Hmmm...

Think we all know that answer.
What a horribly senseless tragedy.  :sad:

As AITM said, it's standard procedure to try to get a profile of what the suspect looks like.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

AllPurposeAtheist

Dispatcher was told the gun "was probably a fake", but that was never passed along to the officer so what this means is black kid with anything appearing to be a gun needs to be killed? Fucking crazy..

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2014/11/9-1-1_caller_says_gun_held_by.html#incart_story_package
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

aitm

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on November 25, 2014, 10:59:09 AM
Dispatcher was told the gun "was probably a fake", but that was never passed along to the officer so what this means is black kid with anything appearing to be a gun needs to be killed? Fucking crazy..

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2014/11/9-1-1_caller_says_gun_held_by.html#incart_story_package

Probably? Yeah, that works for me. Skip the call officers, its probably a fake.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

AllPurposeAtheist

"Probably fake" in the hands of a 12 year old kid is HIGHLY relevant.. But let's just forget that part. He was black right? That justifies killing him alone, eh?
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

aitm

Quotein the hands of a 12 year old kid

always nice to know the age before the incident eh?

Solitary

Aren't there any black police officers anymore? Should we riot, burn down, and destroy predominately white towns when a white kid is shot by a black police officer? Should the shooting be on every news channel too?  This is getting ridiculous that every time a police officer shoots someone it is because he is prejudice. Has anyone thought that desperate people, white or black, in poverty that don't watch their kids, or know what they are doing at night, maybe are the cause of all the shootings?
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Mequa

This is a tragedy indeed. It's always a tragedy when a child dies in such a manner.

Not a good day for the reputation of the Ohio police force.

I am grateful such incidents are more rare where I live in England.

Deidre32

Quote from: Mequa on November 26, 2014, 12:10:57 AM
This is a tragedy indeed. It's always a tragedy when a child dies in such a manner.

Not a good day for the reputation of the Ohio police force.

I am grateful such incidents are more rare where I live in England.
What do you make of that, though? That the incidents of this are less in England?

Shiranu

Quote from: Deidre32 on November 26, 2014, 12:48:19 AM
What do you make of that, though? That the incidents of this are less in England?

http://www.businessinsider.com/why-do-us-police-kill-so-many-people-2014-8

I would say it's two-fold;

One, cops in most countries don't carry guns. It's hard to shoot someone without one.
Two, there is not an arms-race between law enforcement and civilians, so there is less fear that the guy you pull over is going to lower his window and blast you.

Edit: And three, they are not held responsible; that graph is just justified homicide, and they were not under obligation to release that number. That does not include unjustified shootings and any they chose to withhold.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Deidre32

Interesting to me, is how many people I've discussed this with offline and online, feel that the cop was justified. Justified in fatally shooting a 12 yr old, who had a fake gun. Any other person, other than a cop would most likely be up on charges. I understand that cops have a tough job, but it's just interesting how we blame a 12 yr old kid, over an adult cop, who should have used better discretion in sorting the situation out.

Mequa

Quote from: Deidre32 on November 26, 2014, 12:48:19 AM

Firearms are tightly controlled here in England. It is illegal to own a handgun for a member of the public. I cannot get a gun.

Most British police officers here are not armed, although they certainly do have an armed division with recourse to weapons if necessary. Fatal shootings by police are relatively rare here, but do happen, particularly post-9/11 with suspected terror threats here.

The law is not the only difference. Fatal shootings were still far less common in Britain compared with the United States even before Britain banned guns. The difference perhaps is one of culture, with a gun culture being more prevalent in many parts of the States.

Countries such as Switzerland have shown that responsible gun ownership is feasible, however the United States does have a poor record generally regarding gun-related fatalities.

Shiranu

Quote from: Mequa on November 26, 2014, 02:16:28 AM
Firearms are tightly controlled here in England. It is illegal to own a handgun for a member of the public. I cannot get a gun.

Most British police officers here are not armed, although they certainly do have an armed division with recourse to weapons if necessary. Fatal shootings by police are relatively rare here, but do happen, particularly post-9/11 with suspected terror threats here.

The law is not the only difference. Fatal shootings were still far less common in Britain compared with the United States even before Britain banned guns. The difference perhaps is one of culture, with a gun culture being more prevalent in many parts of the States.

Countries such as Switzerland have shown that responsible gun ownership is feasible, however the United States does have a poor record generally regarding gun-related fatalities.

Deeper interpretations aside, I think the last bit is the core main reason we Americans have an issue; we, bluntly, have a fucking moronic society that promotes moronic behaviour and attitudes towards... everything, really. Guns, sex, alcohol, nudity... you name it, we probably decided to take the ass-backward view of it and are PROUD that we did.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Deidre32

Quote from: Mequa on November 26, 2014, 02:16:28 AM

brb...moving to England. :)

This update:
http://countercurrentnews.com/2014/11/video-released-proving-cops-didnt-wait-one-second-before-shooting-12-year-old-holding-toy-gun/