Any other religious people supporting Richard Dawkins' efforts?

Started by mediumaevum, November 23, 2014, 10:21:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Quote from: mediumaevum on November 23, 2014, 10:21:21 AM
I am not an atheist. In-fact, I am a firm believer in gods and stuff like that.
I didn't know that before.  However, I haven't followed your posts with a great deal of interest.  It always seemed like you wanted people to react to you as if you had something to say, but you would beat around the bush without taking a position most of the time.  I sensed a great deal of gamesmanship at worst, or perhaps just an inability to communicate, but I wasn't ready to expend much energy on a dialog with you, and after a while, I quit bothering to open your threads.  I may not even come back to this one.  And I'm not interested in what your version of religion is.  Everyone thinks their religious perception is special and stands apart from the other crap, but it's all just silly make up stuff.

mediumaevum

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on November 24, 2014, 04:52:23 AM
That's actually the complete opposite way I look at it. I agree with you in that forcing one's thoughts and way on living on other who would rather not conform is in general a bad thing. Definitely in religious terms.
And you also don't HAVE to reveal your privacy to the public.
But you are more than allowed to, as there is no harm in making your thoughts be known. And if you think your arguments hold any sway or your idea's are logical and can stand on your own, you're definitely more than welcome to. If a conviction you bring forth is totally retarded, you're welcome to put it forth aswell. The public will just debunk convictions like those through honest and open discussion. Actually, if you don't take part in the open market space of ideas, you run the most risk of falling short of personal growth.
It may seem like a fine line sometimes. But forcing others to do what you want them to, I agree; not cool. Telling the public what you are convinced is true, cool.

*censored*

Sorry, I had to censor this reply. I am sorry for any inconvenience.

Mr.Obvious

Look dude, I myself am not particularly interested in your particular beliefs. Especially not if you seem so eager to share snippets yet reluctant to paint the whole picture. Once again, you don't HAVE to reveal your privacy to the public. But if you really don't want to, the best way to do this is to not bring it up at all. Not to act like a teenager on facebook going: "Life is pain." And then when someone asks what the teen means, go: "I don't want to talk about it."

But if you're afraid that merely stating your beliefs will get you banned, know we've got a few religious people on this site. Like CP and that new person who joined (sorry forget the name) and isn't part of organized religion yet does belief in a god and such. People get banned on this site, yeah I've seen quite a few. But they weren't banned for being religious. They were banned for being assholes, prolethysers and trolls.

If this site does ban you merely for stating your beliefs, then fuck us. And you shouldn't even want to be on this forum. But, if you do get banned, that's not going to be the reason. The reason will be more something among the lines of you acting like a attention-seeking troll. What else are we supposed to think when you state something like 'I rarely do prayers. Rather, God prays to me.' and that being the only thing you wish to make clear about your religious views?

My advice to you is that if you wish to share any thoughts and ideas, you should be prepared to explain them and back them up. If you don't want to; fine to me. But then don't bring them up. Because doing the thing you are doing now is exactly what pisses people off. Also, I advice you not to mention your personal issues in this way in the future. People that truly dislike you can use it to write you off or troll the shit out of you. Other people don't care seeing as an argument stands on it's own merrits not those of the one who proclaims it. And even others will see it as a cowardly attempt to protect yourself from further criticism, whether or not it is actually uttered for that reason. If you wish to talk about your personal issues and frustrations regarding therapists I'm sure you can find some people to support you. But again don't just bring it up out of nowhere and say it's a taboo subject for you to talk about.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

mediumaevum

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on November 24, 2014, 06:09:08 AM
Look dude, I myself am not particularly interested in your particular beliefs. Especially not if you seem so eager to share snippets yet reluctant to paint the whole picture. Once again, you don't HAVE to reveal your privacy to the public. But if you really don't want to, the best way to do this is to not bring it up at all. Not to act like a teenager on facebook going: "Life is pain." And then when someone asks what the teen means, go: "I don't want to talk about it."

But if you're afraid that merely stating your beliefs will get you banned, know we've got a few religious people on this site. Like CP and that new person who joined (sorry forget the name) and isn't part of organized religion yet does belief in a god and such. People get banned on this site, yeah I've seen quite a few. But they weren't banned for being religious. They were banned for being assholes, prolethysers and trolls.

If this site does ban you merely for stating your beliefs, then fuck us. And you shouldn't even want to be on this forum. But, if you do get banned, that's not going to be the reason. The reason will be more something among the lines of you acting like a attention-seeking troll. What else are we supposed to think when you state something like 'I rarely do prayers. Rather, God prays to me.' and that being the only thing you wish to make clear about your religious views?

My advice to you is that if you wish to share any thoughts and ideas, you should be prepared to explain them and back them up. If you don't want to; fine to me. But then don't bring them up. Because doing the thing you are doing now is exactly what pisses people off. Also, I advice you not to mention your personal issues in this way in the future. People that truly dislike you can use it to write you off or troll the shit out of you. Other people don't care seeing as an argument stands on it's own merrits not those of the one who proclaims it. And even others will see it as a cowardly attempt to protect yourself from further criticism, whether or not it is actually uttered for that reason. If you wish to talk about your personal issues and frustrations regarding therapists I'm sure you can find some people to support you. But again don't just bring it up out of nowhere and say it's a taboo subject for you to talk about.

You are right.

Can I ask for this thread to be either deleted or locked?

I should not talk about my religion.

stromboli

The thread does not need to be deleted or locked, it will go away from lack of participation. If you want to be thought of as relevant, post something relevant on another topic. Saying you have a belief or some spiritual component in your life and then not defining or   describing it is just a vague and mildly annoying statement.

I think you need to first decide why you are even on the forum, because in all honesty I can't see a reason for you being here.

mediumaevum

Quote from: stromboli on November 24, 2014, 12:15:52 PM
I think you need to first decide why you are even on the forum, because in all honesty I can't see a reason for you being here.

The reason I joined is because I can't discuss religion in religious forums.
A christian forum for instance, has strict rules regarding conforming and non-conforming to the canonized bible. Their rules explicitly states that you cannot say anything that goes against holy scripture. Which means you cannot discuss anything else than those "evil atheists" (everybody who are not a Christian is either an "evil atheist" or an islamist in their opinion).

That's why I thought this as a free place. But from my experience in here, people are pretty rude and don't hesitate calling me a troll even though I am not.
Accussations and stuff like that isn't good for me either. Instead of ONLY attacking my arguments or my statements, people also attack me as a person. That's where I draw the line.

It was a failure of me to present my religious views without fully presenting them anyway.
I'm sorry for any inconvenience this has caused. But I believe that everybody are better off without discussing my religion with me.

However, I would happily discuss other people's religions, pros, cons, arguments or lack thereof. Scripture, "holy" as well as non-canonized and so on.

stromboli

I'm not trying to discourage you. I recommend you post opinions on other topics. Every forum has its own ebb and flow, so to speak. Get a feel of how we address issues and how we word them. I lurked here for months before finally joining, so I had a feel for the place and what to say. My feeling is that you need to learn to formalize your thought in a more orderly manner to present them as such.

Religion is murky stuff to begin with, and anything not considered mainstream even more so. we are taught to think in terms of stereotypes, so anything outside that becomes less clear. Stick around, lurk, but you will need some thickness of skin to be on here if you are a god believing soul, because for you, this constitutes enemy territory.

mediumaevum

Quote from: stromboli on November 24, 2014, 02:26:11 PM
I'm not trying to discourage you. I recommend you post opinions on other topics. Every forum has its own ebb and flow, so to speak. Get a feel of how we address issues and how we word them. I lurked here for months before finally joining, so I had a feel for the place and what to say. My feeling is that you need to learn to formalize your thought in a more orderly manner to present them as such.

Religion is murky stuff to begin with, and anything not considered mainstream even more so. we are taught to think in terms of stereotypes, so anything outside that becomes less clear. Stick around, lurk, but you will need some thickness of skin to be on here if you are a god believing soul, because for you, this constitutes enemy territory.

A deist discussion board filled with people who only believe in what they believe in because a supposed deity told them to, and not because they feel or are convinced it truely is the right thing, because of arguments, or by moral or ethical standards, is even more hostile to people like me.

I prefer atheist forums then. Or better, a mix of the two.

Jason78

Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato