Coming To You Soon From The Wonderful World Of Religion

Started by Solitary, November 20, 2014, 08:49:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solitary

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/fear-of-a-deadly-%E2%80%98religious-war%E2%80%99/ar-BBeDlwA?ocid=U147DHP

JERUSALEM â€"Israelis and Palestinians expressed fear Wednesday that their decades-old conflict was moving beyond the traditional nationalist struggle between two peoples fighting for their homelands and spiraling into a raw and far-reaching religious confrontation between Jews and Muslims.

The threat â€" perhaps more accurately the dread â€" of an incipient but deadly “religious war” was expressed by Muslim clerics, Christian leaders and Jewish Israelis one day after a pair of Palestinian assailants, wielding meat cleavers and a gun, killed five Israelis, including a prominent American Israeli rabbi, in a Jerusalem synagogue.

“All of us are scared that there will be a religious war, that extremists from both sides will start fighting each other,” said Oded Wiener, an Israeli Jew from the Council of Religious Institutions of the Holy Land.
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

stromboli

And the irony is that this type of extremism makes people look at the dark side of religion and will cause more to turn away from it. Extreme actions by the religious in every aspect ultimately convinces people to abandon it.

Solitary

I'm a liberal at heart, but it can be dangerous in politics, that been over backwards to be nice. Carter was being nice to Cuban refugees, and it came back to bite him when Castro made a point to send all the people here that were unfit for a civilized society, most being criminals.   

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: Solitary on November 20, 2014, 09:56:42 AM
I'm a liberal at heart, but it can be dangerous in politics, that been over backwards to be nice. Carter was being nice to Cuban refugees, and it came back to bite him when Castro made a point to send all the people here that were unfit for a civilized society, most being criminals.   
See? That's the problem with you liberal types. You're just not willing to kill enough people for no good reason.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Solitary

dtq123

Anyone know when this movie is coming out? I've got my popcorn  :wink2:
A dark cloud looms over.
Festive cheer does not help much.
What is this, "Justice?"

kilodelta

I'm still not sure if any of their neighbors would want an escalation as Israel has enough nukes to turn the middle east into fields of glass. I doubt Israel would feel too bad about it either.
Faith: pretending to know things you don't know

Mermaid

Decades-old conflict? Isn't it more like hundreds and hundreds of years?
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Aletheia

Why do I get the feeling that all of this could be solved via a video game marathon?

Just sit down the best gamers from either side play a zombie apocalypse game? What better way is there to resolve differences than fighting undead with limited food, weapons, and shelter?

Mark my words, video games could be the answer.
Quote from: Jakenessif you believe in the supernatural, you do not understand modern science. Period.

aitm

Quote from: Mermaid on November 28, 2014, 02:17:23 PM
Decades-old conflict? Isn't it more like hundreds and hundreds of years?
exactly, this thing has always been one bad circumcision away from a full blown war.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust