Rosetta Discovers Organic Molecules On Comet

Started by stromboli, November 18, 2014, 12:12:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

http://www.ibtimes.com/comet-landing-2014-rosetta-probe-philae-discovers-organic-molecules-report-1725228

QuoteThe Philae space probe was powered down earlier than expected, but not before an instrument discovered an organic compound that was first detected in the comet’s atmosphere, the Wall Street Journal exclusively reported Monday. The find is extraordinary considering the organic compound contains the carbon atom, which is the basis of life on planet Earth.

Further research is being conducted to see if there are complex compounds like amino acids or simple ones like methane and methanol, considered “building blocks” for proteins.

The research “will help us to understand whether organic molecules were brought by comets to the early earth,” Stephan Ulamec, the Philae’s landing manager said, according to the Journal.

The European Space Agency (ESA) said the probe fell into hibernation after it only got 1.5 hours of light a day instead of the expected seven. Even though Philae “fell silent,” it was still able to send the information it retrieved while it was functioning -- that’s how the organic compound discovery was found.

“Prior to falling silent, the lander was able to transmit all science data gathered during the First Science Sequence,” Ulamec said. “This machine performed magnificently under tough conditions, and we can be fully proud of the incredible scientific success Philae has delivered.”

Before it went idle, Philae conducted 60 hours of work on Comet 67P, The Conversation said. One of its missions was to ascertain if complex organic molecules, which could have helped create Earth billions of years ago, existed on comets.

Panspermia suddenly becomes a greater likelihood. Also the idea that organic life exists elsewhere, may in fact be widely distributed in the galaxy or even the universe. This was not unexpected, but the fact that Carbon based organic molecules is now a given, it creates a whole new set of parameters, and a whole new set of arguments. Shit's gettin' interesting, yo.  :super:

Atheon

"You meant they spent 278 zillion gajillion dollars to send a washing machine to a comet, only to have it crash land in a dark hole and go dead? Just think of what they could have done with that money on earth...."

Just kidding! I'm not one of those idiots!! The lander did plenty of science, and the orbiter is still going strong!

This is very exciting. Comets may well have seeded the earth with organic molecules, as well as water.

Any indication as to which specific molecule they found?
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

stromboli

I'll keep looking, but no indication yet on the specifics of the molecule other than it is Carbon/organic. But I definitely am interested.

hrdlr110

I think it will power up again when it gets more sun - doesn't it have solar panels to recharge?
Q for theists; how can there be freewill and miracles? And, how can prayer exist in an environment as regimented as "gods plan"?

"I'm a polyatheist, there are many gods I don't believe in." - Dan Fouts

stromboli

Quote from: hrdlr110 on November 18, 2014, 03:27:41 PM
I think it will power up again when it gets more sun - doesn't it have solar panels to recharge?

Yes, but it didn't land either pointed correctly or in the wrong spot. It may get power again, I'm not sure. The molecules were detected in the atmosphere. What is not yet specified; possible Methane.