Why Religion Should Stay Out Of People's Personal Life

Started by Solitary, November 03, 2014, 09:54:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solitary

I think the last paragraph says it all about the people that object to her committing suicide---they love their religion more than another human being, and think suffering is a good thing, the sadistic pricks!  :axe:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/terminally-ill-brittany-maynard-takes-her-own-life/ar-BBcEQgq?ocid=U147DHP

Terminally ill Brittany Maynard takes her own life

"She died as she intended â€" peacefully in her bedroom, in the arms of her loved ones," said Sean Crowley, a spokesman for the advocacy group Compassion & Choices.

Crowley said Maynard "suffered increasingly frequent and longer seizures, severe head and neck pain, and stroke-like symptoms. As symptoms grew more severe, she chose to abbreviate the dying process by taking the aid-in-dying medication she had received months ago."

Maynard's choice was not without detractors. Some religious groups and others opposed to physician-assisted suicide voiced objections.

"We are saddened by the fact that this young woman gave up hope, and now our concern is for other people with terminal illnesses who may contemplate following her example," Janet Morana, executive director of the group Priests for Life, said in a statement after Maynard's death. "Brittany's death was not a victory for a political cause. It was a tragedy, hastened by despair and aided by the culture of death invading our country."

"I think in the beginning my family members wanted a miracle; they wanted a cure for my cancer," she said. "When we all sat down and looked at the facts, there isn't a single person that loves me that wishes me more pain and more suffering."
Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Green Bottle

I say well done her and everybody else who has or has had the courage to end their own suffering,  religion should stay the fuck out of it, end of !!
God doesnt exist, but if he did id tell him to ''Fuck Off''

Munch

Theists who believe suffering is a positive cause for their faith are the same as any sadist. I always wonder when these kind of people are dying on their deathbeds if they are still thinking 'this is a good thing, I'm dying in agony for God/Allah'
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

GrinningYMIR

Remember those dudes who used to flay themselves in order to get God's love? similar concept
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Solitary

In Opus Dei, the Catholics still do, and many Catholics in South America do also. This is why the Catholic religion encourages people to feel quilt. Guilty people love to suffer to cleanse their souls.  :wall: :madu:
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Hydra009

It saddens and angers me that this is even controversial.  Of course you should be able to die with dignity when there is grievous suffering and no hope for recovery.  It is your life, is it not?  These people would have her in torment for the rest of her days.  And for what?!

*clutches a cup of icewater with both hands and boils it away*

the_antithesis

I was going to say something about religion being only a personal matter in the first place. What nonsense a person chooses to believe is their own business. But that is not what this thread is about.

This thread is about cunts imposing their belief in nonsense on others. This is, of course, wrong. They have no right to do that any more than I have to impose my non-belief on their stupid, stupid asses.

But maybe that's the problem. Assuming other people can be responsible for themselves is core to my personal philosophy but this cannot work with these selfish assholes.

If you truly believe something. it compels you to action. If you believe the wine is poisoned, you will smack the glass out of your wife's hand as she raises it to her lips. Even if you're a delusional nutter and the wine is no more poisonous that the alcohol content makes it.

I'm thinking of transactional analysis here. These fucks have put themselves in the parent state, trying to be a wet nurse nanny to everybody. I prefer to be in an adult state and figure they and everyone else is responsible for themselves. It is real easy to wind up in the child state and act like a rebellious twat with these assholes, which is problematic since that's a stable if unhealthy relationship. It is also easy to go into a parent state and attempt to wet-nurse bully them into shutting up.

I do not know what the idea approach is to dealing with these fuckwits may be. You're not going to get through to them, I don't think. Nor get them to shut up for longer than a few moments.

Perhaps the adult state is still best. Just point out to them that they want to see this young woman to continue to suffer for their own selfish reasons when her passing really does not effect them in the slightest. They do not know her. They do not care about her. They only care about themselves and are using her to further their own ends the way a priest uses an alter boy.

stromboli

I don't care if the true believers themselves want to wallow in pain and let the doctors empty their bank accounts, but the fact is that long term care for the terminally ill is one of the things that jacks up the insurance costs. It should be an obvious option that everyone who is terminal can opt out, choose to not live with the suffering and end it.

I don't understand how any court or body of law could call it humane to not allow such a thing, but force the terminally ill to suffer for so long and make criminals out of people who allow them to die with dignity.

Youssuf Ramadan

Quote from: Solitary on November 03, 2014, 02:16:12 PM
In Opus Dei, the Catholics still do, and many Catholics in South America do also. This is why the Catholic religion encourages people to feel quilt. Guilty people love to suffer to cleanse their souls.  :wall: :madu:

Religions need guilt.  Without guilt there can be no atonement. Without atonement there would be a lot less cash in the collection plate on Sunday morning.

Quote from: stromboli on November 03, 2014, 04:01:52 PM

I don't understand how any court or body of law could call it humane to not allow such a thing, but force the terminally ill to suffer for so long and make criminals out of people who allow them to die with dignity.

Agreed.  If animals were made to suffer in the same way that humans are in this situation, the same people would be foaming at the mouth with outrage.

stromboli

Quote"We are saddened by the fact that this young woman gave up hope, and now our concern is for other people with terminal illnesses who may contemplate following her example," Janet Morana, executive director of the group Priests for Life, said in a statement after Maynard's death. "Brittany's death was not a victory for a political cause. It was a tragedy, hastened by despair and aided by the culture of death invading our country."

So basically you have to suffer a long terminal illness, finally die after running massive medical bills and untold suffering just so you can be with an eternally loving heavenly father? Wow, how special........

:eek:

Hydra009

"Culture of death" is rich coming from people who plaster crucifixes everywhere and eagerly await the end of the world.  Whenever I hear these nutters claim to be part of a "culture of life" I think of the Cancerverse from marvel comics.

Atheon

It's her decision, not the decision of religiobot busybodies. If I were in her position, I would do the same. It's about quality of life. Why live if you are suffering horribly and things will only get worse?
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Youssuf Ramadan

Amazing how many of these dickheads are pro-gun, pro-death penalty, pro-invading other countries on some bullshit pretext and killing a shitload of civilians to get the oil, yet take your own life?  Fuck, no.... you're going to hell for that.   :wall: