Maldives girl gets 100 lashes as punishment for being raped

Started by Jason78, February 27, 2013, 05:43:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plu

Damnit, I put pr126 on block and then people starting quoting him :P

NitzWalsh

Quote from: "Plu"Damnit, I put pr126 on block and then people starting quoting him :P

Sorry.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
~ Arthur C. Clarke

pr126

NitzWalsh wrote:
QuoteIs that actually a rule?
No. It is hypocrisy.

Plu

No problem, just a funny coincidence.

NitzWalsh

I personally don't think it matters if it was rape or consensual. This girl is being punished for something that shouldn't be a crime.
~ Arthur C. Clarke

NitzWalsh

I agree. It is important to apply some rhetorical analysis to pretty much everything you read. Especially news articles which have a tendency to be biased one way or another.
~ Arthur C. Clarke

SilentFutility

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"Now, if you get this treatment often  from the same person(s) in a long time of period, you are bound to get pissed of and call him something in the process. So yeah..actually 'the conversation has grown thin' long time ago.
Right, so you consider the few months since we talked on skype (at your request, I might add), without a single problem, during which we probably spoke to eachother in a maximum of 3-4 threads a long time period during which you recieved a certain type of treatment regularly? This is your justification for being horrible to people?

Or am I to believe that because I'm a "disgusting human being" for reasons unspecified then I just deserve this treatment by default?

missingnocchi

My interpretation is that the girl is being punished for the rape. It doesn't make sense for them to leave out a second sexual partner. If, however, the law under which she is being charged does not use the term 'rape' in it's language, but is still used against rape victims, then the BBC would be justified in using the legal term rather than substituting their own. This is clearly derived from Sharia law, which does not differentiate between consensual sex and rape.

Another reason for my interpretation is this quote:

Quote from: "Ahmed Faiz"This is not the only case. It is happening frequently - only last month there was another girl who was sexually abused and sentenced to lashes.

It would seem that he was under the impression that her charge was for being raped, not some other sex act. And he's not just some schmuck, he's an Amnesty International researcher.
What's a "Leppo?"

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "Nonsensei"I would say more like whenever there's a disagreement here there's a chance for shit flinging. It doesn't always happen.

But if drunkenshoe is involved that chance rises to 100% and the shit starts flying instantly without even a windup period where civilized dialogue wears thin and people become frustrated. You're just a moron right out of the gate with her. You disagree, you're a retard and its okay for her to call you a retard because she is always right.

She was definitely harsh with me when I first arrived, but I'll say this: she heard me out (via PM) and got off my goddamned back once she saw that I wasn't full of shit.

On the other hand, I got called "stupid" (for stating the third-trimester abortion and its legality is not a cut-and-dried  issue) and the asshole who did that didn't even have the balls to reply to my request for courtesy and how I pointed out that I hadn't been rude to him at all.  That little fuckhead can rest assured that until his apology lands, he will not be treated with the courtesy which I reckon is everyone's grant.  

And not one of you guys said anything, either.  You guys tolerated that sort of bullshit without  comment ... and it wasn't the only time that happened to me.

So singling out Drunkenshoe for rudeness is not very fair, because you guys have already acceded to a culture that accepts insult as a  form of argumentation, it seems to me.
<insert witty aphorism here>

aitm

how come "I'm not going to talk to you anymore" or "You are on ignore" or "I am not reading your responses anymore" don't mean a goddamn thing?  Sheesh, will you two just knock it off and iggy each other?  And don't bother to respond to me cause I know how to ignore.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

aitm

[mod:3v58hyoo]yeah, I not asking anymore, take yer shit elsewhere, both of you-aitm

and edited back to the last meaningful post[/mod:3v58hyoo]
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust