Maldives girl gets 100 lashes as punishment for being raped

Started by Jason78, February 27, 2013, 05:43:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason78

Looks like they are really cracking down on rape victims in the Maldives.

QuoteA 15-year-old rape victim has been sentenced to 100 lashes for engaging in premarital sex, court officials said.

The charges against the girl were brought against her last year after police investigated accusations that her stepfather had raped her and killed their baby. He is still to face trial.

Prosecutors said her conviction did not relate to the rape case.

Amnesty International condemned the punishment as "cruel, degrading and inhumane".

The government said it did not agree with the punishment and that it would look into changing the law.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Plu

It'll certainly teach her (and other girls) to keep their mouths shut when they get raped. Which, to anyone not looking closely, is going to bring down the amount of rape going on in the country.

NitzWalsh

I hate Islamic countries. They need to cut out this Sharia law crap needs to be stamped out. Since the girl isn't going to be punished for being raped until she's 18, we have 3 years to mount a rescue mission.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
~ Arthur C. Clarke

Plu

I don't see anything in the article about it being consensual though. The article seems pretty clear that she was being charged as a direct consequence of being raped.

Plu

Hm, you are right. I was reading too fast. I wonder what she's actually convicted of, then. The article seems to be missing a lot of information in that case. I agree with the 'half-assed journalism' comment.

Jason78

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"Jason, did you even read this news article?

Yes, yes I did.

QuoteProsecutors said her conviction did not relate to the rape case.

I don't believe a word of it.  The poor girl was raped, and then charged because she "willingly committed an act outside of the law".  As if allowing yourself to be raped is being "willing".

I don't believe that there was anything consensual about the relationship between the stepfather and the girl.

Jason78

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"Again a half assed, irresponsible journalism makes the day.

I think this is the problem, the only people it mentions are the step-father and the girl.  It doesn't clearly say who she willingly committed an act with.

I assumed it was the step-father, because he's the only male mentioned.

Jason78

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"Noone said anything consentual about the rape. It's rape. The article's title is saying she was given the sentence because of 'pre-marital sex'. You wrote she was given the sentence because of rape.

The court officials said that she was sentenced for engaging in premarital sex.  The only premarital sex act mentioned in the article is the rape.  I believe that the court officials are using "premarital sex" as a euphimisim for "being raped".  Zaima Nasheed, claims that the girl had "had willingly committed an act outside of the law".  If she's not talking about the act in the article, then what is she on about?

Nonsensei

I am fascinated that you are able to, with a straight face, look at a situation where a 15 year old girl is impregnated by her father and then the child is murdered and suggest that the 15 year old girl was a willing participant. When was the last time you heard of a 15 year old girl being willingly impregnated by her father?
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you\'ll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

Jason78

Quote from: "Nonsensei"I am fascinated that you are able to, with a straight face, look at a situation where a 15 year old girl is impregnated by her father and then the child is murdered and suggest that the 15 year old girl was a willing participant. When was the last time you heard of a 15 year old girl being willingly impregnated by her father?

It has come to my attention since my initial post that my paraphrasing of the headline might not be as accurate as I intended it to be.

There's every possibility that the sex act that she will be getting the lashes for was not the rape that was mentioned in the article.

BarkAtTheMoon

Quote from: "Jason78"There's every possibility that the sex act that she will be getting the lashes for was not the rape that was mentioned in the article.

If that's really the case then this is some shit journalism and a lot is missing from this story. If true, there's also no mention of the guy she had sex with, assuming it's someone other than the stepfather, getting the same punishment. 100 lashes is a ridiculous punishment anyway, but it's still a horribly misogynistic injustice if they don't even administer it equally to all parties, male and female.
"When you landed on the moon, that was the point when God should have come up and said hello. Because if you invent some creatures and you put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, then you fucking turn up and say, 'Well done.' It's just a polite thing to do." - Eddie Izzard

Plu

Don't count on it. It's pretty common in muslim ideology to frown on (read: stone to death) girls who have premarital sex, but encourage guys to bone as many girls as they can, preferably non-muslims. It's why many muslim kids in western countries have native girlfriends but marry muslim girls. Because the natives aren't "pure". But that only bothers them when they get married.

Nonsensei

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"
Quote from: "Nonsensei"I am fascinated that you are able to, with a straight face, look at a situation where a 15 year old girl is impregnated by her father and then the child is murdered and suggest that the 15 year old girl was a willing participant. When was the last time you heard of a 15 year old girl being willingly impregnated by her father?

HUH? Where did I say that? Learn to read in your mother language first, moron. And don't ever dare to tell me anything about my English again.

How in earth you could even think that I was saying something like that? And even if I did, don't you think people would shred me to bits, instead of agreeing with me?

Something is wrong with the news feed and we are discussing that, stupid.

Originally this post was much more insulting.

Instead I will just ask why you find it so necessary to be as nasty and repugnant as possible. Do you really believe it lends anything to any point you try to make? Does it make you feel good to be a walking pile of nastiness?

In other words what is your fucking problem?
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you\'ll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

Plu

Eh, I'm siding with drunkenshoe this time. The topic has moved on, your assessment of it seems to be lacking, and you're the one who started with the unfriendly tone.
Her response might be a bit much, but she is right about this being crappy journalism and the article not telling the whole story.