When Science Predicts The End Of Civilization, It Gets My Attention!

Started by Solitary, October 29, 2014, 08:10:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solitary

There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

stromboli

I lived in an end of the world culture in Mormonism, where survivalism and food storage is preached. This is another reason that religions will survive, because any catastrophe can be made to fit their various end of the world scenarios. So I'm mentally prepared for this to some extent.

Oddly enough, I am one of the better equipped than most on here. My trailer is paid for, I have few debts and a solid income source that is protected from failure. I have plenty of food storage, and can protect myself if need be.

I'll be growing a garden next year. I also know how to do that.

Hydra009

A couple quick points about the video:

1) The collapse of individual empires/civilizations is a VERY different thing from a global catastrophe.  In the former, you just have the collapse of the existing political order in the local area, in the latter, you have multiple societal collapses plus serious impact on survivability for at least a sizable chunk of the planet.  The collapse of the Roman Empire is a good example of a societal collapse, and uncontrolled global warming would be a good example of a global catastrophe.

TL;DR version - don't compare our situation to the Roman collapse, their stuff is small potatoes in comparison.

2) Au contraire.  Technological innovation is currently and will in the future play a role in helping to alleviate the stated problems of resource exhaustion and uncontrolled global warming.  More efficient use of energy, alternate energy sources, etc is helping.  But it's unlikely that it'll counterbalance overpopulation and overconsumption combined with the lack of political initiative to do much about either.  I suppose that both are ultimately self-solving problems, but whether this situation is going to go critical is anyone's guess.

stromboli

Quote from: Hydra009 on October 29, 2014, 09:23:51 PM
A couple quick points about the video:

1) The collapse of individual empires/civilizations is a VERY different thing from a global catastrophe.  In the former, you just have the collapse of the existing political order in the local area, in the latter, you have multiple societal collapses plus serious impact on survivability for at least a sizable chunk of the planet.  The collapse of the Roman Empire is a good example of a societal collapse, and uncontrolled global warming would be a good example of a global catastrophe.

TL;DR version - don't compare our situation to the Roman collapse, their stuff is small potatoes in comparison.

2) Au contraire.  Technological innovation is currently and will in the future play a role in helping to alleviate the stated problems of resource exhaustion and uncontrolled global warming.  More efficient use of energy, alternate energy sources, etc is helping.  But it's unlikely that it'll counterbalance overpopulation and over consumption combined with the lack of political initiative to do much about either.  I suppose that both are ultimately self-solving problems, but whether this situation is going to go critical is anyone's guess.

Good points. Another point, too, is that with the ability to rely on individual power sources like solar, wind generators and other means and the instantaneous nature of communications is a totally different picture than those days. The big issue to me is the failure of government in pushing technology that allows us to be independent to a greater extent. Dependence on oil for transportation and generating power is a huge Achilles heel. All that makes me more driven to install solar panels and other methods of independent energy.

If our energy sources were clean and abundant- Fusion generators, Thorium reactors, solar, Hydrogen, and so on, a great deal of the problem is mitigated, because the sources aren't as finite and disruptable as oil is. Unfortunately the people with the power are also the people providing and promoting fossil fuels.

Johan

Quote from: stromboli on October 29, 2014, 09:22:19 PM

I'll be growing a garden next year. I also know how to do that.
Not without seed you won't. Are you stockpiling seed?
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

AllPurposeAtheist

First the good news.
It's morning in America and bears still shit in the woods..

The bad news.
WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE! still...
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Solitary

My garden died from the effects of global warming. No water, plants die.
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: Solitary on October 30, 2014, 11:33:29 AM
My garden died from the effects of global warming. No water, plants die.
Living in a desert probably has something to do with the lack of water although I can't really put my finger on it.. :think:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

stromboli

Quote from: Johan on October 30, 2014, 07:31:19 AM
Not without seed you won't. Are you stockpiling seed?
Grow one garden and you have seed for the next. Seeds last a long time if you care for them properly. And yes, I already have seeds.We're talking about a garden on the lot of a single wide mobile home, not repopulating forests or feeding the masses.

josephpalazzo

Aren't we going to colonize space? Mars then Alpha Centaury and so on... I mean Star Trek has already predicted that...

stromboli

Maybe just me, but I think the young female in the video is hawt.  :biggrin: