News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Hello Everyone

Started by theorange4, October 27, 2014, 05:32:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theorange4

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on October 28, 2014, 04:33:36 AM
Hey orange, glad to have you on board. Welcome to our little band of heathens.

As for you question, Dunkle already gave you a few that I agree with. But I'll try to give you some other ones.

1. "Atheïsts believe there is no god." - "While in practice and daily life it amounts to pretty much the same thing this is the "wrong way" to come to the atheïstic position. While there are some of us, and even here on this site, that say they believe there is no god and that they can even prove this, most atheïsts claim not to believe in a god. There is a fundamental difference there in that atheïsm is foremost a lack of belief. It holds no burden of proof because it is the default position. Atheïsts must not be able to prove why they don't think there is a god. So it's not: you believe there is no god. But it's you don't believe there is a god."
2. "Atheïsts think life is meaningless." - "As some of our earlier discussions on this site have shown, depending on the meaning of the word 'meaningless' our answers on this can be very different. That's so because, as Dunkle already mentioned, atheïsm is simply the lack of belief in a God and holds no sway in other parts of life. I for one don't think there is a prescribed 'reason' for being here, for example, but make my own in being there for the people who I care about."
3. "Atheïsts think you are big accident." - "Wrong on two levels. The first being that atheïsm in itself holds no claim as to how we came to be. It is simply the refution of a certain (theïstic) proposition, it does not inherently teach say evolution. And secondly evolution teaches you are the the result of random mutations in non-random environments."
4. "Atheïsts can just choose to believe if they want to." - "No, no more than a person of faith can suddenly choose to 'not be convinced' of the existance of a certain deïty, we can not choose to be convinced of that same existance. You can choose your actions like going to church, taking communion, reading the bible, praying, ... but you can not choose your convictions and the way your mind works. And what would be 'choosing' religion would simply be pretending, which is for many people an unacceptable condition."
5. "Atheïsts are trying to take away rights of theïsts." - "I'm not American, and here in Belgium we don't have the same degree of religious problems, though we are not without them. But what I see in America is that when freethinking groups or secularists take an action, they are most often simply inforcing something that's in their own constitution (seperation of church and state)."
6. "It takes more faith to be an atheïst." - "No. It doesn't. Because it doesn't take a Muslim more faith to not believe in the hindu gods or the roman gods or the Norse gods. And it doesn't take a christian more faith to not believe in any of the egyptian or aztec gods. You don't need faith for the lack of a belief in something."

I like your responses. I am curious though why your i's in the words atheist and theist all contain an umlaut?

Mr.Obvious

My native language is dutch, in which 'atheist' is translated into 'atheïst'. I have a habit of misspelling it as such :D
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Green Bottle

Afternoon theorange4 and welcome.................... :popcorn:
God doesnt exist, but if he did id tell him to ''Fuck Off''

Deidre32

welcome-and enjoy the forums here :)
The only lasting beauty, is the beauty of the heart. - Rumi

Deidre32

wow, I didn't realize I already posted in this thread.
me sleepy today.

well welcome again :=P
The only lasting beauty, is the beauty of the heart. - Rumi

theorange4

Here's the post that I obtained the stereotypes from:
http://www.christianforums.com/t7848743/

Here's the post where people responded to your stereotypes:
http://www.christianforums.com/t7848916/

I hope you enjoy reading this.

Solitary

One more: atheism is not a belief, it is a non belief in anything without reliable evidence.
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

stromboli

After looking at the other forum, my first thought was, how many of them are former atheists? We have a lot of former theists on here. To make the claim they understand us is less likely if they haven't been us. I speak about my attitudes on religion from an experiential viewpoint because I was religious. My experience is that not many people have stopped not believing to believe. Many if not most of the people on here were previously religious. I think the reverse on theist forums is less true.

Religion is also highly geocentric. In Utah you are likely a Mormon, in the Middle East Islamic or Jewish, India a Hindu, Southeast Asia a Buddhist. Atheism is far less geocentric overall, we have people here from different countries and locations. I read headlines that many people in Saudi Arabia are becoming atheists, even though penalties against it are harsh.

I know many people who converted to Christianity from Mormonism and vice versa. I'm not aware of a mass exodus from atheism to various faiths, but rather the reverse. Churches are shutting their doors for lack of believers. The percentage of  people leaving religion is growing, not the reverse.

Likewise I have read statistics that scientists in the fields of Cosmology, Physics, Biology and other earth sciences are more likely to be atheists. Even historians, now. Know any devoutly religious Paleontologists?

I think, in sum, I am correct in my opinions.

Mr.Obvious

After looking at the other forum, my first thought was, if this turns out to be the ploy of a troll who's trying to get two forums to bug each other; that's a well thought out plan. But I don't think we've seen any increase in spam or prolethysing so it was just a cynic thought.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Green Bottle

After looking at the other forum, my first thought was, could i have an ounce of the good shit your all smoking   :shifty: :dance: :dance:

God doesnt exist, but if he did id tell him to ''Fuck Off''

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: Green Bottle on November 22, 2014, 10:06:10 AM
After looking at the other forum, my first thought was, could i have an ounce of the good shit your all smoking   :shifty: :dance: :dance:

Served only at Chucky Jesus's.. :biggrin:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Solitary

:eek: Holy crap that's a homely baby!  :biggrin:
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

aitm

Quote"Atheists choose atheism so that they can have whichever lifestyle they desire without feeling guilty"

Whereas some people choose christianity because they are allowed to ignore the rules they don't like, choose the ones they do and think that god is fine with that.

They are allowed to lie, steal, cheat and harm other people but as long as they confess in their home secretly to the wall, they are "forgiven" for it.

They are allowed to blame all their misery, fuck-ups, faults and misfortunes on the wishes of god, instead of their own poor choices.

When all else fails they are allowed to proclaim that "this was the answer I heard from god'...an nobody call really argue with that.

Atheist are far more moral that the religious.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

stromboli

The term "righteous indignation" comes from religion, not secularism. We do not get righteously indignant on issues as they do.