Main Menu

Thoughts on Bronies

Started by Munch, October 24, 2014, 02:53:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

GrinningYMIR

all grown up anthro

Scoots is best CMC
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

GrinningYMIR

"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

drunkenshoe

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

GrinningYMIR

GrinningYMIR

aitm

So….the 3yr old grandkid watches episodes of the ponies on several locations of netflix et al, and somehow stumbled into a whole new world where people create their own episodes simply by moving toy ponies with the hands and speaking a narrative. Very, rather silly but whatever. Anyway, yesterday, she is watching and the wife and I are doing our thing and I here her say, "oh no, that was mean to stab her with scissors"…..I caught that and got up and looked at her video and its shows one of the little ponies being stabbed and then laying down and catchup all over and the voice is laughing…wtf?

So now we have to screen her pony vids….I blame this on the evil atheists…..
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

GrinningYMIR

drunkenshoe

How do you know, may be they taste good with ketchup?
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

GrinningYMIR

Hydra009

Episode reviews:

[spoiler]Appaloosa's Most Wanted:  We see more Braeburn, which is nice.  But Troubleshoes and his whole arc was just predictable and bad.  We know he's not really a villain, just misunderstood.  And the town basically did a witch hunt purely on circumstantial evidence.  Yikes.  Plus, I'm not the biggest fan of cmc episodes and those three have probably had more screen time than the mane six this season.

Make New Friends but Keep Discord:  The plotline is pretty thin, it's pretty much the same jealous friend plotline we had with Gilda, except this time it has Discord and the Gala.  But this one had enough hijinks to be somewhat entertaining.  Tree Hunger was annoying but fun to hate.  Maud had a pretty good zinger.  Rarity getting embarrassed in public was priceless.  And Discord...

Discord is now officially sporting the symbol of chaos.  MLP/Warhammer 40k crossovers, commence!

Also, Celestia gets covered in slime and can't use her powers.  Celestia gets depowered so Twilight has to save the day, surprise surprise.  The gala is a lot smaller this year, more like a personal party of the mane six and their friends than an event that the whole city participates in.  And Celestia's love of Gala mayhem is now officially creepy, considering that this time, ponies were drowning in ooze while another pony was about to be banished to another dimension.

The Lost Treasure of Griffonstone.  I LOVED this episode!  Gilda is back!  And Rainbow (and pinkie) is off on an adventure!  And we finally get to see part of the Griffon Empire!  Be still, my heart!!

I loved RD's impression of Twilight.  I loved the Indiana Jones reference.  I liked how Gilda is grumpy but not necessarily mean.

I'm sort of disappointed by the state of the griffon "kingdom", which seemed more like a small village than an actual kingdom, and a run-down one at that.  And the griffins have little personality except as gruff scavengers or shopkeepers with an affinity for bits.  (The bits thing is actually makes some sense.  In Fallout Equestria, they're excellent mercenaries.)

Pinkie befriends Gilda, who in turn befriends other griffons.  Friendship is magic.  Cue pat ending.

But as much as I liked the episode, I think the Griffons got shafted on this one.  They really could've been fleshed out more.  We still don't know much of anything about them (what do they excel at?  What do they do for fun?  Are there any cultural differences between them and ponies?  How do they feel about Equestria and ponies?

I'm halfway tempted to write a story of my own about them.  A fierce and proud race that once had a mighty empire, but is on the wane.  A populace that values bravery, strength, and honor and shuns qualities of timidness, weakness, and deception.  They're omnivores who eat meat (mostly rodents or fish) on occasion, much to the disapproval of the strictly vegetarian ponies, disapproval that they return given the growing influence of ponies and their extensive use of magic, even dark magic on occasion.  The griffons could vary from royalty and nobility to tradesman, artisans, farmers, and hunters.  They could have a majestic, well-fortified capital, several major cities, dozens of villages, a half-dozen trading hubs, and a dozen colonies (some practically but not officially independent).  Oh man, I could do so much with the griffons![/spoiler]

drunkenshoe

Munch

you know what this thread needs some more of?

Some big mac

Yup.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Hydra009