News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Thoughts on Bronies

Started by Munch, October 24, 2014, 02:53:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrinningYMIR

I like Ponyville better I think and I knew RBD was a loner, she hardly ever sleeps at her house anyway. I feel like Canterlot should have a little more ground to its west, having a sudden drop of doom is hazardous, ask Emperor Palpatine.

I think I also heard that the mane six were supposed to have different names based on gen 1 stuff, but Hasbro didn't renew the licenses on the originals so Faust had to make up the names on her own.

Also still hoping Scootaloo eventually learns how to fly completely

Edit:

No idea why but I burst out laughing when I saw this, rather awkward too as seeing as I was in class
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Hydra009

My only problem with Ponyville is that it just sounds so generic.  Imagine a story set in Humansburg.  Yeah, not very appealing.

And after rewatching some of (okay, most of) the episodes, one thing is kinda bugging me.  There are virtually no compelling male protagonists whatsoever.  It's like inverse Star Wars.  Yeah, there's Spike, and he's actually an incredibly loyal and dutiful kidnapped child laborer (he's basically Theon Greyjoy minus the resentment).  And he does have his moments of awesomeness, but 90% of the time, he's a punching bag or comic relief.  He is borderline abused by Twilight.  I actually feel bad for the guy most of the time.  There's Big Mac, who goes from being level-headed and taciturn to this flanderized wreck that only ever says Eeyup and Nooope.  Silent Bob had more of a speaking role.  Filli Vanilla is the only episode where you can see him having a life outside of his family.  All we know about Soarin' is that he loves apple pie and that he felt bad about pretending to be injured because his team wanted somepony else.  Starswirl the Bearded seems pretty awesome, but we never actually get to see any of that because he's long dead.  Flash Sentry is essentially nothing but a love interest.  We have 4 female alicorns, and yet not a single male alicorn unless you count animation errors.

Suddenly, I'm starting to sympathize with feminists complaining about token/underdeveloped female characters in 90% male shows.

GrinningYMIR

I see your point, still Fillydelphia would seem more of a city type thing, and less of a town.

I know its supposed to be a girl's show and all, but I do wish there were more male protagonists, like you said. There's the whole joke that 5 out of every 6 Ponies will be female, but for a while that appeared to be the true statistic and not a joke. Hence all of the homosexual shippings, there aren't enough males in the show for there to be anything else.

Big Mac went from quiet and somber at the beginning of the show to what he is now, a walking Eeyup button. I swear the last time he had any lines of length was when he was yelling at the CMC's in like season 2. He even got cut off by his Grandma when he was trying to explain something in Season 4, which annoyed me. Technically Shining armor could be considered one, but he's only in  like 2 episodes, and he isn't even the focal point of the ones that he's in.

If we could get some more male input other than the occasional "Eeyup, YEAH!", or spike adventure I would really appreciate it. And I like Soarin' its just annoying that one of the few male pegasi we see talking is divulged into virtual nothingness.

Also, discovered yesterday that comic meme series about hurting your waifu, and a couple of them legitimately depressed me, particularly this one French story/comic about Vinyl Scratch, that was depressing as hell

(found this earlier, already posted in the music thread, but I figured I'd post it here too. Really good song)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nfmdongnxQ
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Hydra009

Quote from: GrinningYMIR on January 09, 2015, 02:57:30 PMIf we could get some more male input other than the occasional "Eeyup, YEAH!", or spike adventure I would really appreciate it.
I would be tickled pink if in season 5, we get an adventure episode (or even a two-parter) with a competent male secondary character.  Anything along those lines would be great.

Or better yet, some diplomatic intrigue.  A pony republic independent from Equestria has a large but heavily underrepresented griffin population.  Tensions flare and civil war looms.  Both Equestria and the Griffin Empire send diplomatic envoys.  Naturally, Celestia sends Twilight and co.  The proverbial crap hits the fan during their elections and the mane six are caught in a power struggle between the two would-be leaders who are mutually opposed and unwilling to compromise (think Londo and G'Kar from Babylon 5).  And we could tack on a moral lesson at the end.  Something along the lines of "Friends don't let friends commit war crimes" or something.  Might have to workshop that a touch.

GrinningYMIR

Friends don't let friends commit war crimes? Damn, friendship just jumped a level in seriousness.

I know we're getting an episode where one of the mane six, I think PP, is getting a boyfriend (coltfriend) so that's at least one episode with a bit of male influence. But I wouldn't mind seeing a male hero or a male soldier or something, even if it was shining armor coming down to visit for a while, maybe to help Twilight officially move into her new Castle or something, and then some pony assassins come, or Chrysalis comes back I don't know. Discord doesn't count, Fuck discord.

and I might be alone here, but I hate the griffins in MLP, I have no idea why, but I utterly despise them in every form, its like they don't belong at all, at least to me anyway.

Hydra009

Quote from: GrinningYMIR on January 10, 2015, 09:22:08 AMDiscord doesn't count, Fuck discord.
I sort of liked him as the token evil teammate, but as 100% good guy, I don't see him as ever being a force to be reckoned with again.  Spike could probably take him at this point.

Quoteand I might be alone here, but I hate the griffins in MLP, I have no idea why, but I utterly despise them in every form, its like they don't belong at all, at least to me anyway.
I actually really like the griffons.  They make interesting foils for the ponies, especially the pegasi, since they can also cloudwalk and presumably also live in the clouds.  They seem more ferocious (omnivorous?) and somewhat culturally different from the ponies (no cutie marks), though some are integrated in Equestrian society.  They also participate in the equestrian games, so we know that Equestria has diplomatic ties with at least one griffon community.

(edit - dammit, the show consistently spells it griffon while the mythological creatures can be spelled as griffin or griffon or gryphon.  So I'm going with griffon from here on out for the mlp creatures)

GrinningYMIR

Ol' discord isn't quite the Lord of Chaos that he used to be.

I always get mixed up when I spell Griffin/Gryphon, its really self annoying when you write the same word, spelled two different ways (both of which are correct) in the same paragraph. Still, I don't particularly like the Griffins, it might be that I don't think they fit, even if they are good foils for the ponies. Also, doesn't the heart's warming thing imply that essentially all of the ponies are burying their negative emotions? As in collectively? Because of the Windegoes if that story is to be believed.

That sort of thing didn't work out too well in Wow, can't imagine it working out in Mlp either.

Lastly, found a fan comic that's pretty good, not award winning, but worth a read from me, (it has my favorite characters as the forefront, how could it not be?) But alas, there is always the fact that I eat up the content and the next part won't be due for months.

*ahem*

I NEED IT NOW DAMMIT! THAT AND SEASON 5!

You know that feeling you get when you play the first game in a series that came out years ago? Like playing Red Alert after playing all of RA2 and RA3? Kinda getting that with season 1 MLP, almost seems archaic o.0, in terms of story development that is. Doesn't help that I'm watching a crappy version of it with headphones

Hydra009

GrinningYMIR

I like that first song a lot, very atmospheric. Man I wish I could draw/create music like these folks, my hands just don't want to work with what my brain has in mind.

One problem I have with Fan Fics, of which I've been reading more of, is that a lot of them either take too long to start up, or go immediately into action, both of which are annoying. A good medium is the place to be, but it is understandable that there aren't too many that can reach this level easily

Somehow managed to have 9 bronies follow me on G+, which I rarely use. Guess that's what happens when you defend people

GrinningYMIR

Hydra009

GrinningYMIR

That was really well done, and the music was awesome! the fact that it matched up perfectly was really impressive too 0.o

and Pinkamena is still disturbing o.o

GrinningYMIR

RBD is supposed to have her own song in the next season! I know I might be a bit biased towards her but I'm kind of excited for that, she's one of the singers we hear the least of but she has a decent voice.

and of course it will be 20% cooler :P

(had to do it)

Munch

Love your reference to the sha, and the pandaren and them holding in there emotions. You know the conclusion to mists really made me realize how much I disliked the whole concept of that expansion, also how the story tried to make us feel guilty because our 'emotions' made the sha appear, yet we saw how the shado-pan were emotional doucgebags themselves when we meet them, so yeah, that story made bollock all sense.

pretty landscape, but yeah, fuck you pandas

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

GrinningYMIR

I liked and dislike MOP, it was better in a lot of respect to Cata but at the same time things about it annoyed me, like the dailies, so many god damn dailies. The story was alright, but I honestly preferred the deathwing storyline, as much as I disliked Garrosh he didn't really give the epic villain vibe to me. The pandas annoyed me from the start, the emotion thing was okay and I actually liked the Sha because they were part of the Old God mythos which is one of my favorite plotlines in WoW. (7 heads of Yssarg, I know I didn't spell it right)

I've heard that Warlords is okay, but I haven't played any of it yet. WoW will always have a special place in my heart though, I played it for over a decade haha, 2004-2014 :P

Plus wow  had Monara, sweet Monara...

Arthas Pony!