News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Thoughts on Bronies

Started by Munch, October 24, 2014, 02:53:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

Wasn't sure if you put this here or in the film, tv page, but figured its general enough to go here.

Speaking as a 33 year old dude who when he was a kid did watch the original my little pony cartoon series, since then I forgot mostly about that and grew up loving x-men, batman, computer games and all the usual stuff.
I never even pegged my interest when seeing my little pony stuff still produced years later, including when the current generation of it became popular, and so of course I wondered what this whole brony thing was based around any why it existed.

So having watched some of the episodes of MLP-FIM, my overall opinion is that its a good show, and a lot more well written then any of its previous series, I've also watched some youtubers applying critical analysis of the episodes and like some of the reviews. But again, I've not become a fan and while thinking its a good show, its not something I'd get into watching as a habit.

So on that end it made me wonder just why is there such a following for adult men, bronies, to get behind it. At best what I can take a stab at, is some men saw the show, and liked it, the story, the character design, the overall premise of the series, and became a fan. They told others they liked the show, and got given some negative feedback by them, which resulted in them forming a cultural following for men who felt the same, and formed a fandom around that, made even stronger when it got ridiculed by people like online.

At least thats my thought on it. maybe I'm wrong.

My overall thought on bronies and the haters is while I think MLP-FIM is a good show, and can understand it having a following, its always struck me as a little extreme to form a cultural fanbase around it for grown up men, not to say that its a bad thing, just that given this show came from a long line that had always been advertised for little girls, yeah, you can see why people would argue it being just for little girls and why they find it strange.

But then against the haters, does it really bother people so much that adult men like a decently written cartoon series? I think MLP has better writing then most of the other cartoons out now, so there is no wrong is liking the series. I just couldn't become a brony in the militant sense as others have. Its kind of like, speaking as a gay guy, if someone came up to me and laughed say 'haha your a cock sucker', I'd just smile and say yeah, yeah I am, you should try it one time. 
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

stromboli

There are people who need reasons to ridicule other people; simple as that.

GrinningYMIR

Eh, I'm a fan of some of the music that's been produced by the fanbase, and I think if I watched the show I'd enjoy it thoroughly, so in that regard I could be called a Brony, but I tend to stay away form the majority of fanbases, too much conflict I say

Let em watch what they wanna watch
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Munch

Quote from: stromboli on October 24, 2014, 03:15:31 PM

I don't get it, I mean yeah people are dicks, but there isn't anything remotely bad about liking this show. And considering there are so many things aimed at boys, marketed at boys, that girls get into, the stigma of boys liking a show claimed to be aimed at girls is just silly. 
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Mr.Obvious

Bronies are still a thing? I thought that fad had died out. I haven't heard anything about that community in like a year. That's ages in internet-time.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

GrinningYMIR

They're less vocal but hardly dead, still growing in some areas. But a lot of them have moved on to homestuck and the like
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

aitm

:eh:

i'm too old for this shit...
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

stromboli

PickelledEggs

Quote from: stromboli on October 24, 2014, 03:15:31 PM
What stromboli said.

Some people are just pricks. Who cares what other people like? It has nothing to do with anything other than them.... unless it involves other people... but in case of tv shows, fuck haters, man.

MagetheEntertainer

Well, if it were not for bronies then 4Chan wouldn't have as many cringe threads, and I enjoy their cringe threads very much.

AllPurposeAtheist

I think it's pretty obvious to any reasonable thinking person that MLP is a satanic cult.. :pray:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

the_antithesis

I tried watching an episode once. I selected one randomly, so I may have found one of the lesser efforts, but I wasn't impressed.

Solitary

There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

AllPurposeAtheist

Asked my 86 year old dad if we should have a father and son bronie party and the exciting results below...

no. :think:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Solitary

You should "pony" up and have one anyway.  :pidu:
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.