News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Thoughts on Bronies

Started by Munch, October 24, 2014, 02:53:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrinningYMIR

My plan for my Dallas trip is to either watch this whole series, possibly play some more Tor, or maybe do the RP with the guys, if they're all here
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

GrinningYMIR

My friend got me to read my little dashie last night

"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Jason78

Quote from: PickelledEggs on October 27, 2014, 03:03:39 PM
I'm guessing because it's good? I have to check this out now.

I remember the first time I looked back at "Hey Arnold!" I had a new appreciation for it and in fact liked the show even more for the things only adults could get, despite it being a "kid's cartoon" I never saw MLP, but I'm definitely intrigued.

If you like kids cartoons with jokes in it that only adults will get, try Animaniacs :)
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Munch

Quote from: Jason78 on November 02, 2014, 07:16:11 AM
If you like kids cartoons with jokes in it that only adults will get, try Animaniacs :)

Daaaam right, I loved rewatching this show.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Mermaid

I don't get it. But I don't get fandom or fantasy or roleplaying or what I just learned is "cosplay" or anything like it, so I guess my not getting it doesn't matter.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: Mermaid on November 02, 2014, 08:11:53 AM
I don't get it. But I don't get fandom or fantasy or roleplaying or what I just learned is "cosplay" or anything like it, so I guess my not getting it doesn't matter.
You just don't get the big picture Mermaid.. This fantasy crap is important stuff.. Kinda like religion and the rapture because uhhh...well...it's uhhh...............

I don't get it either. We're doomed I guess..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Hydra009

Quote from: GrinningYMIR on November 01, 2014, 05:38:18 PMoh, and just to clear the air, Dinky doo its Derpy's daughter. the Fanon is Canon
Yeah, I do like how the show had little nods to its fans.

(For those who don't know, Derpy was just a background character with an animation error that gave her derp eyes.  Fans named her Derpy Hooves and imagined her as the city's mailcarrier with a personality that is scatterbrained but diligent and unfailingly cheerful.  Because of the copious fan attention, she got a ton of cameos and even a speaking role.  But she's extremely accident-prone and her voice seemed a lot like someone with Down's syndrome.  Some people reacted to this really badly, thinking the show was belittling the mentally retarded, so derpy got edited to no longer be cross-eyed and no longer have a strange-sounding voice and she's been pretty much shelved ever since)

Now, she has adventures with the pony equivalent of Doctor Who.  Heh.)

Hydra009

Quote from: Mermaid on November 02, 2014, 08:11:53 AMI don't get it. But I don't get fandom or fantasy or roleplaying or what I just learned is "cosplay" or anything like it, so I guess my not getting it doesn't matter.
Fandoms are subcultures centered around a common interest, usually a TV show or film series.  They analyze the hell out of the show, generate fan stories/art/music/video, etc.  They often have conventions where they talk with other fans and often have Q&A with the cast of the show.

Roleplaying is essentially just playing pretending to be someone else in a fictional setting.  And contrary to APA's insistence, possibly due to a terminal lack of imagination, there's nothing with that.  :P

Cosplay is just dressing up like a fictional character.  Practically everyone does it.  Hell, we just had a holiday where that's pretty much the norm.  But doing that outside of socially-approved settings is a bit of a challenge, as cosplayers can easily attract dirty looks from non-fans and internally suffer from embarrassment, so that mainly happens at conventions.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Jason78 on November 02, 2014, 07:16:11 AM
I loved Animaniacs and I still do. That was a good cartoon. The original Ren and Stimpy is also a favorite of mine

GrinningYMIR

Now we just have to get you to watch the show, enjoy it, then read the MLD comic!

Hydra009

Yeah, My Little Dashie is great.  Feels galore.

I'm really starting to appreciate fan works more and more.  They really add something to the whole experience.

One work that really gets my attention is the more action and adventure take on the FiM setting as proposed by Equestria Prevails.

If this were to ever become an animation, it would be nothing short of glorious.

GrinningYMIR

QuoteYeah, My Little Dashie is great.  Feels galore.

GrinningYMIR

Sorry to keep harping on it, but its rare for a story to effect me emotionally nowadays, and this one got me good, its...odd

AllPurposeAtheist

QuoteAnd contrary to APA's insistence, possibly due to a terminal lack of imagination..

Oh yes..I see now. How could I have overlooked it all this time.. Me thinking grown men who are big fans of little girl cartoons equates to a complete and utter lack of imagination on my part.
Gee.. I feel so much better now. It's as if a whole new world of scratching my head wondering what the hell is wrong with you guys has been opened up! :biggrin: I'll never think of you the same. It's been my fault all along.. I was a bottle baby after all. :think:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Hydra009

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on November 03, 2014, 09:51:08 AM
Oh yes..I see now. How could I have overlooked it all this time.. Me thinking grown men who are big fans of little girl cartoons equates to a complete and utter lack of imagination on my part.
Gee.. I feel so much better now. It's as if a whole new world of scratching my head wondering what the hell is wrong with you guys has been opened up! :biggrin: I'll never think of you the same. It's been my fault all along.. I was a bottle baby after all. :think:

Seriously though, APA, please figure this out at the very least:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0la5DBtOVNI