Early Genesis Interpretations Agreed With Darwin

Started by stromboli, February 26, 2013, 07:43:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AxisMundi

Quote from: "Davka"
Quote from: "AxisMundi"
Quote from: "Davka"Prove that I'm wrong. Prove that you're not a 12-year-old playing on your daddy's computer. Prove that there's no invisible pink unicorn in my garage. Prove that you have the tiniest shred of comprehension of what is meant by "burden of proof."

Well, I guess that's your way of admitting you stand corrected.
No, that's my way of bitch-slapping you for being a clueless fucking moron.

I won the debate, yay for me.  :rollin:

Jason78

Quote from: "mendacium remedium"I do not think the Bible conforms with evolution. It really does not. Otherwise let's take the whole thing metaphorically. What is the point of saying "oh that's just a metaphor"? How do you decide? Why can't we say the whole thing is a metaphor , what makes that any more or less credible? Does a metaphor have to always defy the laws of science? So what about the virgin birth?

On  a different note,

I also despise calling humans 'simply animals' 'born to try winning mates and surviving'.

We do have an animalistic nature, but also a human one.

We are animals.  Specifically, apes.  You can look our species up on a taxonomic chart.

Quote from: "mendacium remedium"We look after the disabled, when it would be a survival disadvantage to do so.

We give to the poor

Animals do that.  It's not a special homo sapien trait.

Quote from: "mendacium remedium"We are exceedingly more intelligent than any other creature on earth.

Some of us are.  My dogs would probably disagree though.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

VaasMontenegro

Quote from: "VaasMontenegro"The only argument that religious people can use that actually stands as a sensible argument is the 'God is necessary' argument, but I'm afraid that that argument now no longer stands, thanks to String Theory. Yes, it may be a theory, but it is widely accepted by physicists as a viable explanation as to the true origins of the universe, and thanks to work by these Physicists, we can now say that God is not necessary, citing the fact that string theory is supported by evidence and reliable data that shows the true origins of the universe. I'm not an expert on String Theory, so if you think I'm just making this up, you should it up and watch some videos by Michio Kaku explaining why this is the case.

The String "Theory" (hypothesis more like) is an interesting exercise, certainly, but I prefer the "Big Crunch Theory".

That the universe simply is, always has been, and always will be. That the "Big Bang" is merely a cycle of renewal, a "universal winter" if you will.

It is an interesting theory, but from the standpoint of modern physics, it is generally believed that the universe will eventually 'freeze' as all the stars die out and all that will be left will be black holes, desolate planets and the remnants of civilizations. (not sure how that fits in to 'gods plan..)
"I\'m not a schemer. I just try to show the schemers how pathetic their attempts to control things really are."

AxisMundi

Quote from: "VaasMontenegro"
Quote from: "VaasMontenegro"The only argument that religious people can use that actually stands as a sensible argument is the 'God is necessary' argument, but I'm afraid that that argument now no longer stands, thanks to String Theory. Yes, it may be a theory, but it is widely accepted by physicists as a viable explanation as to the true origins of the universe, and thanks to work by these Physicists, we can now say that God is not necessary, citing the fact that string theory is supported by evidence and reliable data that shows the true origins of the universe. I'm not an expert on String Theory, so if you think I'm just making this up, you should it up and watch some videos by Michio Kaku explaining why this is the case.

The String "Theory" (hypothesis more like) is an interesting exercise, certainly, but I prefer the "Big Crunch Theory".

That the universe simply is, always has been, and always will be. That the "Big Bang" is merely a cycle of renewal, a "universal winter" if you will.

It is an interesting theory, but from the standpoint of modern physics, it is generally believed that the universe will eventually 'freeze' as all the stars die out and all that will be left will be black holes, desolate planets and the remnants of civilizations. (not sure how that fits in to 'gods plan..)

There is some evidence that the universe has a super-massive black hole at the center of all mass, much like our galaxy has one at its center.

One could surmise that the outward expansion of all mass/energy in the universe will at one point fade, and the gravity from said universal black hole will draw all matter/energy back into itself, thus reaching critical mass and exploding once again.