News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

ATHEISM DEFENDED BY A CHRISTIAN

Started by josephpalazzo, October 18, 2014, 12:12:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

josephpalazzo

Scroll down about 2/3 and read:

Atheism tends to be a term of disrepute in the Western world, but we ought to do  all we can to change this situation. The honest atheist is simply a person who  has looked out upon the world and has come to believe that there is no adequate  evidence that God is, or that there is good evidence that God is not. Very  seldom does this make a man happy or popular...A man who has no practical  belief in God may nevertheless be a good man. Sometimes it is the very goodness  of a man which makes him an unbeliever; he is so superlatively honest, so eager  not to accept anything without adequate evidence, so sensitive to the danger of  believing what is comforting, merely because it is comforting... Such a man we  can only honor.”
- Elton Trueblood (Quaker theologian), Philosophy of  Religion

:biggrin:

http://etb-agnosticism.blogspot.ca/2012/04/christianity-and-atheism.html

josephpalazzo

Sorry, I've posted this in the wrong section. Can a MOD moves this to RELIGION GENERAL DISCUSSION?

Thanks.

AllPurposeAtheist

Quotehe is so superlatively honest, so eager  not to accept anything without adequate evidence,
Sounds a bit condescending.. Superlatively honest? I like to think myself to be honest, but superlatively? Meh..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

stromboli

Good article. It is at least discussing this in a rational way, not with an attached agenda.

Hydra009

Elton Trueblood.  Now there's a thinker.

From the same text: "The chief strength of atheistic naturalism has lain in the notion that the material world needs no explanation, external to itself, that it is, indeed, a perpetual motion machine, which had no beginning and will have no end. But when we take the Second Law of Thermodynamics seriously we can no longer hold to this doctrine."

From the same author:  "It is the vocation of the Christian in every generation to out-think all opposition.”

Johan

QuoteThe honest atheist is simply a person who  has looked out upon the world and has come to believe that there is no adequate  evidence that God is, or that there is good evidence that God is not. Very  seldom does this make a man happy or popular...
...and we're done. Absolutely no point in reading beyond there. He was doing so well up to that point too. Shame really.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

AllPurposeAtheist

To be fair the How many time do you crap and fart thread is
...Superlatively honest.
And just for the record I'm very regular lately.... Approximately 2 hours after waking up in the morning...
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Solitary

There are Quaker sects that are composed of atheists. My sister was an atheist and married a Quaker. They were married in a Universalist church.
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Minimalist

Quote"It is the vocation of the Christian in every generation to out-think all opposition.”

That being the case, they suck at it.
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken