A Disturbing Video That Makes Sense

Started by Solitary, October 12, 2014, 11:34:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solitary

There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

AllPurposeAtheist

I should spend 19 minutes and 4 seconds to watch this, but frankly there just aren't enough 19 minutes and 4 seconds in a day plus football on Sundays.. Perhaps tomorrow..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

AST111213

This guy bases his worldview on a belief in the Christian God. He begs for evidence, but evidence presupposes proof, truth, reason, and logic -- all things that he cannot account for in an atheistic worldview. All of the those things -- proof, truth, reason, and logic -- presuppose God. You cannot have those things without God. God is the necessary precondition for intelligibility. I would love to ask this guy what he believes truth is... what reality is... how he knows his is in the true reality... how he knows his senses and reasoning are valid, etc.
If you've lied, stolen, lusted, or blasphemed you have broken God's law and have earned punishment in hell. Jesus paid your fine, dying on the cross in your place. Please turn from your sin and trust in Christ alone. God will forgive your sin and give you new desires to live for Him.

stromboli

Truth, logic and wisdom all exist outside the the purview of god. The Greeks certainly didn't need a god to invent logic and rhetoric. Confucianism and other oriental philosophies also have no connection to western beliefs and all are based on similar concepts. To believe that god alone is the source of all law or philosophy is simply ideological centrism and only shows how narrow your worldview is.

Evidence is evidence. A smoking gun and the bullet pulled from a body shown to be from that gun is evidence. Evidence can point to a result. That is proof. Reason and logic are components of scientific inquiry far more than that of religion. there is no more logic to assume a first cause creator than there is any number of scientific theories that at least have some element of proof. Reason and logic exist outside of religion and always have.

Poison Tree

Quote from: AST111213 on November 28, 2014, 11:08:43 PM
All of the those things -- proof, truth, reason, and logic -- presuppose God. You cannot have those things without God. God is the necessary precondition for intelligibility.
"Observe that noses were made to wear spectacles; and so we have spectacles. Legs were visibly instituted to be breeched, and we have breeches" Voltaire�s Candide

stromboli

Good luck with that, Poison. based on timing I'm wondering if our boy Mediumaevum done come back in another body......

kilodelta

God is the necessary precondition for intelligibility. 

No. We actually got intelligence from Coeus well before Yahweh hit the scene.
Faith: pretending to know things you don't know

GrinningYMIR

Why would God be necessary for reason? The Romans and the Greeks did fine without God, In fact the romans achieved engineering triumphs that we still have difficulty matching, and their philosophers made concepts that we all take for granfed before God, Ptolemy ring a bell?

How about Socrates?

Even the maya and the inca achieved great leaps and bounds with science and culture, a culture that was annihilated as soon as Christian Spain arrived to spread the word.

The only thing God ia required for is a holy war,and I could probably start one of those I'm about five monites if I burn a Quran and stab a cross into a mosque
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

aitm

God is the necessary precondition for intelligibility. .

ah yes, the god that condones killing babies and raping little girls..no thanks. You can keep your piece of shit.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Berati

All of the those things -- proof, truth, reason, and logic -- presuppose God. You cannot have those things without God. God is the necessary precondition for intelligibility.

Allow me to refute your claims in the same way you have made them:

You're wrong!

Carl Sagan
"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."

MarineWarrior

Just to get back to the original post, Sam Harris is da' man!  I've been watching a lot of videos on YouTube featuring the Four Horseman.  Love those videos and I'm learning a lot. 
Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

-Carl Sagan

Mike Cl

This guy bases his worldview on a belief in the Christian God. He begs for evidence, but evidence presupposes proof, truth, reason, and logic -- all things that he cannot account for in an atheistic worldview. All of the those things -- proof, truth, reason, and logic -- presuppose God. You cannot have those things without God. God is the necessary precondition for intelligibility. I would love to ask this guy what he believes truth is... what reality is... how he knows his is in the true reality... how he knows his senses and reasoning are valid, etc.
Poster child for judgmental ignorance.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Green Bottle

Thx for the vid Solitary, more gd stuff to get into, cheers.
God doesnt exist, but if he did id tell him to ''Fuck Off''

wolf39us

Sal1981

My friend Frank says you're wrong, and everything Frank says is true.

Rebuttal?