All of out actions are selfish

Started by dtq123, December 11, 2014, 06:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aletheia

Meh... such discussions like this are much akin to mental masturbation. For some, it makes them feel better, for others, it is a poor substitute for something more substantial.

I look at the behavior of people and animals from the perspective of the genes, and then from the individual preferences of the brains forged from genetic and environmental factors. Many of people's behaviors follow a trend which can be predictable to a point. There's always a transaction taking place in which they offer something for something. The person who works hard to please everyone else may do so because they feel defective and are trying to fill a void caused by some psychological damage. Or it might be even more basic, they like doing good things, because it activates the pleasure center of their brain. Then again, it could be a by-product of their evolution. Being friendly towards others causes less chance of harm to the body.

It's an illusion to think someone does something without a gain in some way. Not all transactions are fair, and not all transactions are necessarily beneficial, but there's always a transaction of some kind taking place with the anticipation of return in one form or another.

Call me cynical, if you want, but life often falls short of genuine noble actions. Altruism does not exist without some transaction prompting the action.

And it's ok for the world to be like that. Why on Earth must we be 100% selfless anyway? If the world moved more towards mutualism and commensalism, it'd still be a mostly pleasant world to live in.
Quote from: Jakenessif you believe in the supernatural, you do not understand modern science. Period.

the_antithesis

Quote from: dtq123 on December 21, 2014, 03:18:44 PM
Guess you'll love what I'll have to post on philosophy for a long time :3

Get in line.

dtq123

A dark cloud looms over.
Festive cheer does not help much.
What is this, "Justice?"

Mike Cl

Quote from: dtq123 on December 21, 2014, 03:18:44 PM
Guess you'll love what I'll have to post on philosophy for a long time :3
Yep==most likely. :))
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?