News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Faith In Science Vs Faith In Religion

Started by MagetheEntertainer, October 11, 2014, 07:59:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cl

Quote from: Drummer Guy on October 14, 2014, 07:26:24 PM
You are correct, this is a terrible argument by theists.  But it's worth noting that many of the more educated theists won't make this kind of argument.  It tends to be a blue collar Christian who heard it from someone else and doesn't really understand the semantics.

It's also worth noting that many atheists also define faith wrong when it comes to religion.  I often hear atheists say that faith is "belief without evidence" when that's not what the word faith means in theology.
Really?  What does 'faith' mean in theology??
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SGOS

QuoteFaith - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faith
Wikipedia

https://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=hts&oq=&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4AVNB_enUS603US603&q=Faith

Faith is belief that is not based on proof. It can also be defined as confidence or trust in a person, thing, deity, view, or in the doctrines or teachings of a religion, ...
‎Faith (disambiguation) - ‎Faith in Christianity - ‎Saint Faith - ‎Crisis of faith

It's true that theists use any and all definitions of faith and can mean anything when they use it.  They use it with unusual frequency and in many contexts.  Abundant frequency in varying contexts is one of the earmarks of their life's devotion.  But press a theist about why he believes Bible doctrine, he will invariably say it's faith (the first definition given in Wikipedia), and he will say it with a pride that comes with holding the concept in highest regard, as something that rises above mere reason, and a knowledge that he has worked hard to obtain.  Protestant religions preach this definition of faith as the key than unlocks the gates of Heaven, and is of absolute necessity for their admittance.

Anyone who says this is not a primary definition of the Christian essence, probably is not paying attention.
But yes, they also sling the word around in haphazard fashion.

Mike Cl

Quote from: SGOS on October 15, 2014, 05:22:26 AM
It's true that theists use any and all definitions of faith and can mean anything when they use it.  They use it with unusual frequency and in many contexts.  Abundant frequency in varying contexts is one of the earmarks of their life's devotion.  But press a theist about why he believes Bible doctrine, he will invariably say it's faith (the first definition given in Wikipedia), and he will say it with a pride that comes with holding the concept in highest regard, as something that rises above mere reason, and a knowledge that he has worked hard to obtain.  Protestant religions preach this definition of faith as the key than unlocks the gates of Heaven, and is of absolute necessity for their admittance.

I have experienced this from when I was a child first exposed to that vileness called christanity.  And that exposure came in Alabama, and it was all but literally beaten into my head with a bible, that one must have a deep and abiding faith in the All Mighty Lord and Jesus in order to be saved.  And that Satan came to you in the guise of reason.  One must not be tempted to fall prey to Satan if one wants to be saved.  This is one of the factors that keeps the bible-thumping christians so willfully ignorant (I call it stupid, for they refuse to learn).  Reason not only does not make sense to them, it actually is the enemy.  This is what frightens me about the current crop of Rep. fundamentalists and those that pander to them.  It seems to me that my country, in many ways, is actually more stupid now than when I was a kid.  Fundy's of all stripes are willfully ignorant and are frightening because of it.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?