News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

For you caterpillar people..

Started by AllPurposeAtheist, October 11, 2014, 04:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllPurposeAtheist

What the heck is this thing with a tail and bushy tentacles? I've tried to find out, but no luck so far..

And don't tell me it's a Madagascar flesh eating whatever..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

stromboli

All I will say is OMFG!!!!!! Don't touch it!!!!!!!

stromboli

Seriously. It is a Puss Caterpillar

Very bad.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megalopyge_opercularis

QuoteThe 'fur' of the larva contains venomous spines that cause extremely painful reactions in human skin upon contact. The reactions are sometimes localized to the affected area but are often very severe, radiating up a limb and causing burning, swelling, nausea, headache, abdominal distress, rashes, blisters, and sometimes chest pain, numbness, or difficulty breathing.[2] Additionally, it is not unusual to find sweating from the welts or hives at the site of the sting. Ironically, the resemblance of the larvae to soft, colorful cotton balls encourages people to pick them up and pet them.

Not shittin' you, bro. That is a bad hombre.

Green Bottle

Thats an evil looking wee beastie... :wtff:
God doesnt exist, but if he did id tell him to ''Fuck Off''

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

AllPurposeAtheist

But it likes me.. it crawed up my arms and didn't seem in the least bit want to destroy me.  Oh wait...arrrrrrrrrrgggggghhhhhh! (Note exclamation point at end of my excruciating death)

stromboli

Lucky for you I studied Entomology in 4H. How ironic that all the really nasty shit insect wise lives in the Bible Belt.

Solitary

APA, seriously, many caterpillars are very dangerous. If you see this one, don't touch, it can kill.
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

AllPurposeAtheist

These things are all over the place around here.. Just think of the stories you're gonna have to tell about some careless fool who was eaten alive by caterpillars.

stromboli

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on October 12, 2014, 11:39:36 AM
These things are all over the place around here.. Just think of the stories you're gonna have to tell about some careless fool who was eaten alive by caterpillars.

Sound like an infestation. Highly recommend an exterminator. You step on one in your bare feet, you will be in great pain.

GrinningYMIR

"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: stromboli on October 12, 2014, 11:46:25 AM
Sound like an infestation. Highly recommend an exterminator. You step on one in your bare feet, you will be in great pain.

I'm in luck. I learned long ago walking around outside barefoot is a bad idea. Bees made a believer out of me.

Atheon

I know someone who has suffered very painful stings from caterpillars like that. The venomous spines are on their backs, camouflaged within mats of hair.

But I think the picture posted by APA is a specimen of Orgyia leucostigma.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Desdinova

Here's a very dangerous species of caterpillar known for crushing trucks and removing mountain tops.  Very, very, dangerous!

"How long will we be
Waiting, for your modern messiah
To take away all the hatred
That darkens the light in your eye"
  -Disturbed, Liberate

stromboli

Whatever they are, they are EEEVVVIIILLLL and God made them.  :naughty: