News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

redsoxfan77 vs. Hijiri Byakuren: does God exist?

Started by DunkleSeele, October 02, 2014, 02:36:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hijiri Byakuren

Now, if, on the other hand, your intent was actually to have an informal discussion rather than a proper debate, please say so. DunkleSeele's rules only apply so long as this debate actually remains, well, a debate. If you want to have an informal discussion, then great: because then I get to tell you how I really feel about your so-called evidence. :lol:
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

DunkleSeele

[mod]OK people, my intention was not to interfere with the debate but now I feel compelled to chip in.
Redsxofan77, you are making a big mess of this debate. You yourself admitted you didn't read your opponent's post before posting your statements and now I have the feeling you didn't read the debate rules either.

Here's how debates work: each of you will take turns at posting. Your post must be a rebuttal or response to the your opponent's previous post. Simple as that. Moreover, your posts must deal with the topic at hand (in this case, God's existence). Posting long disquisitions about how God communicates with humans is largely irrelevant, because first of all you have to bring evidence for God's existence.

I'm seriously tempted to close this thread, as it makes a mockery of every proper debate.
[/mod]

redsoxfan77

Quote from: DunkleSeele on October 07, 2014, 04:43:51 AM
[mod]OK people, my intention was not to interfere with the debate but now I feel compelled to chip in.
Redsxofan77, you are making a big mess of this debate. You yourself admitted you didn't read your opponent's post before posting your statements and now I have the feeling you didn't read the debate rules either.

Here's how debates work: each of you will take turns at posting. Your post must be a rebuttal or response to the your opponent's previous post. Simple as that. Moreover, your posts must deal with the topic at hand (in this case, God's existence). Posting long disquisitions about how God communicates with humans is largely irrelevant, because first of all you have to bring evidence for God's existence.

I'm seriously tempted to close this thread, as it makes a mockery of every proper debate.
[/mod]

DunkleSeele,

What I said was that I was responding to his first post and not going acknowledge Hijiri's violation of the debate rules by reading them because they were out of order.  Also I said that I would first argue against what my opponent has said and then offer my proofs for God.  I expected to be given adequate time to state my position, rebut my opponent, and then provide proofs of God before getting a response from Hijiri or the moderator.  In other words, I was still in the middle of my turn when the other player started his turn..2x now it seems.

If you want to close the debate as staff you can do so, but I would respectfully disagree as to this being a proper debate.  If this debate is closed it seems to be due more to the impatience of its members than for any lack of merit. 

I await your decision.

Hijiri Byakuren

You post out of order, you post prematurely, you get mad when the people who actually know the rules move on without you, and you have the nerve to imply that I'm the reason this debate is out of sorts? Give me a fucking break. :lol:

DunkleSeele

Quote from: redsoxfan77 on October 07, 2014, 11:00:39 PM
DunkleSeele,

What I said was that I was responding to his first post and not going acknowledge Hijiri's violation of the debate rules by reading them because they were out of order.  Also I said that I would first argue against what my opponent has said and then offer my proofs for God.  I expected to be given adequate time to state my position, rebut my opponent, and then provide proofs of God before getting a response from Hijiri or the moderator.  In other words, I was still in the middle of my turn when the other player started his turn..2x now it seems.

If you want to close the debate as staff you can do so, but I would respectfully disagree as to this being a proper debate.  If this debate is closed it seems to be due more to the impatience of its members than for any lack of merit. 

I await your decision.
Redsoxfan, you've been violating the debate rules right from the start. The debate rules are clearly uotlined in the first post of this thread and state that each debater must wait for his opponent's answer before making a new post. You've been making two or three posts in a row without even addressing what Hijiri said in his previous post. This is not how formal debate works. Therefore,

[mod]I'm not closing this thread, but I'm moving it to the "informal debates" section. Please consider that, in the "informal debates" section, everyone can participate in a debate and rules are much more "relaxed", so to say. Still, try to play nice.[/mod]

redsoxfan77

This is the official thread for the one-on-one debate between redsoxfan77 and Hijiri Byakuren. Only these two members can post here about the debate topic, I will post as a moderator if and only if I see that one of the rules is being broken and will not take part in any way or form to the debate. -Dunkleseele

A few rules:
1. Both debaters will make an introductory statement about their views on the topic at hand. The first one will be redsoxfan77 -Dunkleseele

The first post was written by Hijiri.

"Redsoxfan, you've been violating the debate rules right from the start." -Dunkleseele

Gentlemen, very clearly at the start of each post that was part of the first response to Hijiri is labeled "part" I, II, or III, indicating which part of the response it was.  At no time did I ever finish that first response.  This was explicitly clear from what I have written.

"You post out of order, you post prematurely, you get mad when the people who actually know the rules move on without you, and you have the nerve to imply that I'm the reason this debate is out of sorts? Give me a fucking break."

Hijiri every single post you had in this entire thread has been out of order. I'm not mad, but if the shoe fits, wear it.

Icarus

Quote from: redsoxfan77 on October 07, 2014, 11:00:39 PM
I expected to be given adequate time to state my position, rebut my opponent, and then provide proofs of God before getting a response from Hijiri or the moderator.

If you have proof of God let the world know (ie. tell us), don't bother arguing anything else as it's a waste of time.

DunkleSeele

Redsoxfan77, what part of "one post each" isn't clear to you? Multi-post responses aren't allowed in formal debates, you could just take more time and formulate your response in one single post. Simple as that.

Now, if you want, you can keep posting in this thread. If you don't want, none of my business.

redsoxfan77

Quote from: DunkleSeele on October 08, 2014, 06:49:06 AM
Redsoxfan77, what part of "one post each" isn't clear to you? Multi-post responses aren't allowed in formal debates, you could just take more time and formulate your response in one single post. Simple as that.

Now, if you want, you can keep posting in this thread. If you don't want, none of my business.

"One post each" was not apart of the rule.  The rule was: "3. Once one of you makes a post, wait for the opponent's reply before posting more." "Post" could mean one's entire turn of argumentation, or it could mean a singular argument. At best it is ambiguous as to which meaning is requested. 

Secondly, "wait for the opponent's reply before posting more" suggests just that. Wait for the reply.  In this rule the "reply" was not limited in length, per the language of the rule itself. For the sake of debate, it makes more sense for it to encapsulate the entire response until it has finished the critique.

Finally, I'm sure you're a great guy, although you claim to be an asshole.  I don't believe that you are.  But you let this debate get away from you at the very first comment and you failed to rein it. 

As it is my part in this thread is over.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: redsoxfan77 on October 08, 2014, 06:42:51 AMHijiri every single post you had in this entire thread has been out of order. I'm not mad, but if the shoe fits, wear it.
I waited 24 hours for you to make your opener. You didn't make it, so I went first. That is allowed in formal debates, in case it is not sufficiently obvious by this point.

Now by all means, cry more.

Or get over yourself and continue the discussion. Since we are now "informal," feel free to respond to whatever the fuck you like. It's what you've been doing anyway. :lol:

Hakurei Reimu

Quote from: redsoxfan77 on October 08, 2014, 11:29:02 AM
"One post each" was not apart of the rule.  The rule was: "3. Once one of you makes a post, wait for the opponent's reply before posting more." "Post" could mean one's entire turn of argumentation, or it could mean a singular argument.
At best it is ambiguous as to which meaning is requested. 
Bullshit. It's a forum. Obviously, it meant a single post.

Secondly, "wait for the opponent's reply before posting more" suggests just that. Wait for the reply.  In this rule the "reply" was not limited in length, per the language of the rule itself. For the sake of debate, it makes more sense for it to encapsulate the entire response until it has finished the critique.
There is, in fact, a limit to most formal debates â€" a time limit. Going over that limit is bad form. Here, the limit was what can be contained in the post form and pressing the "post" button a single time. You had plenty of time to assemble all your "parts" into a single post, and the normal character limit is quite generous for any position given sufficient brevity.

Finally, I'm sure you're a great guy, although you claim to be an asshole.  I don't believe that you are.
Actually, he is.

But you let this debate get away from you at the very first comment and you failed to rein it. 

Knocking over the pieces on the chessboard, shitting on it, then flying away does not constitute winning the debate.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

DunkleSeele

"One post each" was not apart of the rule.  The rule was: "3. Once one of you makes a post, wait for the opponent's reply before posting more." "Post" could mean one's entire turn of argumentation, or it could mean a singular argument. At best it is ambiguous as to which meaning is requested. 

Finally, I'm sure you're a great guy, although you claim to be an asshole.  I don't believe that you are.  But you let this debate get away from you at the very first comment and you failed to rein it. 

As it is my part in this thread is over.

I see, blaming someone else for your own mistakes. Typical religious.

By the way, you're wrong: I AM an asshole. Do you want to test me?

Hijiri Byakuren

DunkleSeele

Well, given that your last response to redsoxfan77 was on October, 7th I will give him time until tomorrow (one week exactly) to post his response. If nothing happens, I'll close the thread.

Hijiri Byakuren

Damn it, Dunkle, I saw a reply to the thread and got excited! D:<