News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

It's here

Started by GrinningYMIR, September 30, 2014, 05:00:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrinningYMIR

Its in Spain now too apparently
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

stromboli

Quote from: Mike Cl on October 04, 2014, 04:58:58 PM
Nuclear weapons destroys the enemy--and the enemy territory.  And it makes that territory useless for quite a few centuries.  Chemical and biological weapons destroys the enemy but not the territory.  In a fairly short time, you can than occupy the conquered territory.  The problem with biological weapons is that it can turn on you if not handled properly and it is not all that effective--or really only effective in special places and instances.  The same with chemical weapons; except it takes longer for chemical weapons effects to dissipate.   But that is the lure of both chemical and biological weapons--quick and easy to administer and if developed correctly can be quite effective. 

I dare say as a bioweapon Ebola would be a poor choice. A strain of influenza would be much better, because it has an airborne vector and a cure can be formulated easily. Don't know how it would work in a warm country, but Ebola definitely isn't my choice for mass murder.

kilodelta

Quote from: stromboli on October 06, 2014, 05:52:04 PM
I dare say as a bioweapon Ebola would be a poor choice. A strain of influenza would be much better, because it has an airborne vector and a cure can be formulated easily. Don't know how it would work in a warm country, but Ebola definitely isn't my choice for mass murder.

It depends on the method of dissemination. Viral hemorrhagic fevers (Ebola, Marburg) can be weaponized to be devastating. Natural outbreaks have their limitations. e.g. not naturally airborne, limited exposure across a population at one given time, normally are not introduced to a populations multiple times. But, weaponized VHFs can overcome all those limitations.
Faith: pretending to know things you don't know

stromboli

Anthrax would be a weapon of choice by many. Some of the plague scenarios of the Black Death that depopulated much of Europe and Britain have been attributed to it. It can be delivered like a chemical agent and works very rapidly. Bubonic Plague was thought not to be the main killer because it moves too slowly, conveyed by rat bites and would take much longer to spread than the plague did. They still don't know for certain what it was. Even Ebola has been considered. If ISIS gets serious and decides on something like Anthrax as a weapon, they could do some very serious damage with it.

AllPurposeAtheist

The weapons of choice are still high explosives.. Much tidier to scrape up tiny body parts with a shovel..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

The Skeletal Atheist

Quote from: kilodelta on October 29, 2014, 06:07:32 PM
It depends on the method of dissemination. Viral hemorrhagic fevers (Ebola, Marburg) can be weaponized to be devastating. Natural outbreaks have their limitations. e.g. not naturally airborne, limited exposure across a population at one given time, normally are not introduced to a populations multiple times. But, weaponized VHFs can overcome all those limitations.
Quote from: stromboli on October 29, 2014, 09:30:07 PM
Anthrax would be a weapon of choice by many. Some of the plague scenarios of the Black Death that depopulated much of Europe and Britain have been attributed to it. It can be delivered like a chemical agent and works very rapidly. Bubonic Plague was thought not to be the main killer because it moves too slowly, conveyed by rat bites and would take much longer to spread than the plague did. They still don't know for certain what it was. Even Ebola has been considered. If ISIS gets serious and decides on something like Anthrax as a weapon, they could do some very serious damage with it.

Tell me more...
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

kilodelta

Yup. Explosives are the weapon of choice. But, imagine if they made radioactive AIDS bombs that are implanted in rabid zombie dinosaurs that emit the brown note with hidden subliminal messages that brainwash people to buy stuff on Black Friday with their Exxon credit cards.
Faith: pretending to know things you don't know