News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

It's here

Started by GrinningYMIR, September 30, 2014, 05:00:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrinningYMIR

"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

AllPurposeAtheist

QUICK! BARRICADE THE TEXAS BORDER! Oh...and pin a medal on Rick Perry... preferably a big spiked one through the chest..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Solitary

Don't worry! Liara is immune to it.

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs103/en/

Transmission

It is thought that fruit bats of the Pteropodidae family are natural Ebola virus hosts. Ebola is introduced into the human population through close contact with the blood, secretions, organs or other bodily fluids of infected animals such as chimpanzees, gorillas, fruit bats, monkeys, forest antelope and porcupines found ill or dead or in the rainforest.

Ebola then spreads through human-to-human transmission via direct contact (through broken skin or mucous membranes) with the blood, secretions, organs or other bodily fluids of infected people, and with surfaces and materials (e.g. bedding, clothing) contaminated with these fluids.

Health-care workers have frequently been infected while treating patients with suspected or confirmed EVD. This has occurred through close contact with patients when infection control precautions are not strictly practiced.

Burial ceremonies in which mourners have direct contact with the body of the deceased person can also play a role in the transmission of Ebola.

People remain infectious as long as their blood and body fluids, including semen and breast milk, contain the virus. Men who have recovered from the disease can still transmit the virus through their semen for up to 7 weeks after recovery from illness.
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

stromboli

Wishful thinking, but hope he tongue kissed Perry before they quarantined him.

Or gave Perry some nipple.  :biggrin:

Yes, I'm making light of the suffering of others. Deal with it.

GrinningYMIR

Quote from: Solitary on September 30, 2014, 05:21:13 PM
Don't worry! Liara is immune to it.

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs103/en/

Transmission

It is thought that fruit bats of the Pteropodidae family are natural Ebola virus hosts. Ebola is introduced into the human population through close contact with the blood, secretions, organs or other bodily fluids of infected animals such as chimpanzees, gorillas, fruit bats, monkeys, forest antelope and porcupines found ill or dead or in the rainforest.

Ebola then spreads through human-to-human transmission via direct contact (through broken skin or mucous membranes) with the blood, secretions, organs or other bodily fluids of infected people, and with surfaces and materials (e.g. bedding, clothing) contaminated with these fluids.

Health-care workers have frequently been infected while treating patients with suspected or confirmed EVD. This has occurred through close contact with patients when infection control precautions are not strictly practiced.

Burial ceremonies in which mourners have direct contact with the body of the deceased person can also play a role in the transmission of Ebola.

People remain infectious as long as their blood and body fluids, including semen and breast milk, contain the virus. Men who have recovered from the disease can still transmit the virus through their semen for up to 7 weeks after recovery from illness.

I'm okay then
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

SGOS

This is scary stuff.  It's likely out now.  The article said it's not contagious like the flu.  Well, what the Hell is going on in Africa?  It seems pretty contagious.

stromboli

Quote from: SGOS on September 30, 2014, 05:58:11 PM
This is scary stuff.  It's likely out now.  The article said it's not contagious like the flu.  Well, what the Hell is going on in Africa?  It seems pretty contagious.

Largely because of ridiculous population numbers in unsanitary conditions, unprotected people handling bodies, you name it. Saw a show on National Geographic about Liberia. Be glad you don't live there.

SGOS

Granted Sierra Leone is backwards as Hell.  I have a friend who worked there in the Peace Corps.  I wouldn't want to spend time there during the best of times.  I like primitive, but when primitive gets unsanitary and extreme poverty is the norm, it's time to let go of nostalgic fantasy about yesteryear.

Hijiri Byakuren

If it jumps so much as one state closer to me, I'm booking the next plane to Australia.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

stromboli

Quote from: SGOS on September 30, 2014, 06:20:12 PM
Granted Sierra Leone is backwards as Hell.  I have a friend who worked there in the Peace Corps.  I wouldn't want to spend time there during the best of times.  I like primitive, but when primitive gets unsanitary and extreme poverty is the norm, it's time to let go of nostalgic fantasy about yesteryear.

I live "primitive" several days a year when camping, but I know how to keep sanitary. In this case, ignorance is not bliss. In the National Geographic show, infected people were sitting next to non-infected and large crowds were simply contained by a chain across an alley. Really disturbing. And there are people handling corpses without protective gear. I think to a large extent our "population bomb" is coming home to roost. Thank religion for much of it. An uninformed, faith based society ignorant of the knowledge that could protect them.

The Skeletal Atheist

Maybe it will infect the fucktards who were saying "hurr durr that's their problem".
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

Mermaid

Damn. I sure hope he survives it.

It also makes me wonder about the people who sat near him on the plane ride home. That sounds like a movie scenario, a guy gets exposed to a terrible virus, then gets on a damn plane to fly back home and infects people.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Mermaid

Reading comments to news articles is just painful.
Exhibit 1 from Yahoo News:

QuoteRESTRICT TRAVEL. Don't let anyone in or out of the country. It's THAT SIMPLE. Africa is a third world country. Just close down the borders

I want the money back. The hard-earned taxpayer money that was spent to send this person to school.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

josephpalazzo

Quote from: SGOS on September 30, 2014, 05:58:11 PM

The flu is airborne and so can be easily contracted. Ebola is not airborne but is transmitted through direct contact: shaking hands, kissing, etc.

stromboli

Quote from: josephpalazzo on September 30, 2014, 07:20:49 PM
The flu is airborne and so can be easily contracted. Ebola is not airborne but is transmitted through direct contact: shaking hands, kissing, etc.

We'll be brofisting with rubber gloves and masks from now on.