News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Looking for a 1-on-1 discussion.

Started by redsoxfan77, September 29, 2014, 02:49:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsoxfan77

Hello,

I'm a theist who is up to having a one on one discussion with anyone about religion.  I am a Catholic, so matters that pertain to Christianity/Catholicism would be the area I am most able to comment effectively upon.  I came to the one on one discussion board so that I am not bombarded and buried under a ton of responses. 

It's been a few years since I was here last, so it's good to be back.  Other than that I'll check in here when I get the chance. If we are actively discussing a topic and I have to run I'll let you know so that you're not waiting at your computer for a response that will take some time in coming. 

the_antithesis

Quote from: redsoxfan77 on September 29, 2014, 02:49:57 PM
Hello,

I'm a theist who is up to having a one on one discussion with anyone about religion.

Why?

redsoxfan77

Why not?  Anyways, when I was here a few years ago I enjoyed talking to people here even if I didn't agree with them.  Other Atheist forums were angry and I found that this forum was more respectful.  And with that I'm being dragged away to do errands.  Back later.

stromboli

Quote from: the_antithesis on September 29, 2014, 02:52:00 PM
Why?

Same question. The only thing I think when I see something like this is that you think we are stupid and you are here to edify us, which is usually the case. Like this article points out, we know more about religion than theists
http://newsfeed.time.com/2010/09/28/survey-atheists-know-more-about-religion-than-believers/

Btw, people like Stephen Hawking, Bill Gates, Alan Guth, Sigmund Freud, Alan Turing, Richard Feynman and Lawrence Krauss were or are atheists. They are all smarter than you.

So.......why?

Minimalist

QuoteI am a Catholic, so matters that pertain to Christianity/Catholicism would be the area I am most able to comment effectively upon.

How can you remain in an outfit with the sordid revelations of your priesthood molesting children?

P.S. - Nice gesture by the Red Sox at Jeter's ceremony yesterday.  I usually don't have anything good to say about the Red Sox, either.
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

the_antithesis

Quote from: Minimalist on September 29, 2014, 03:09:35 PM
How can you remain in an outfit with the sordid revelations of your priesthood molesting children?

More importantly, an organization that protected child molester and covered things up for decades, if not centuries.

Frankly, that's an old question by now and not very interesting except it makes me wonder what the hell is wrong with you. If it was any other kind of organization, it would have lost all their membership. But because it's a religion, it continues to thrive.

AllPurposeAtheist

I'd love nothing more than a one on one discussion about something I don't give one rats turd about..

I'll start. Religion is utter bullshit.

Your turn.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Hydra009

Quote from: redsoxfan77 on September 29, 2014, 02:56:17 PMOther Atheist forums were angry and I found that this forum was more respectful.

redsoxfan77

As much as I want to talk to everyone else on here anti_thesis wrote in first so I'm going to respond to him.

Quote from: the_antithesis on September 29, 2014, 03:12:07 PM
More importantly, an organization that protected child molester and covered things up for decades, if not centuries.

Frankly, that's an old question by now and not very interesting except it makes me wonder what the hell is wrong with you. If it was any other kind of organization, it would have lost all their membership. But because it's a religion, it continues to thrive.

My belief is not based upon the evil acts of our members, but on the goodness of God. 

With that said, I've had friends (at least one confirmed this) who were molested by a priest. As a young Catholic the scandals infuriate me. We're pissed about it.  I can say that the priest that did this to him was later killed in prison.  I can also say my friend has had a tough life as a result of this, bouncing from one woman to the next. The fact is that Christianity and Catholicism do not condone this abuse.  Evil men did this, or failed to stop it. 

As for the abuse scandals in the US, they seem to be in rapid decline after it climaxed in the 50's-70's. Now and since the late 90's and early 2000's there has been increased scrutiny in an effort to keep this from happening.  So... where do all the pedophiles go now?  If they are no longer able to get into the clergy?   Look for positions of trust among the community and they will be there exploiting that trust. I.E. Public schools etc.

Check back in a few.

The Skeletal Atheist

Quote from: redsoxfan77 on September 29, 2014, 02:56:17 PM
Other Atheist forums were angry and I found that this forum was more respectful.  And with that I'm being dragged away to do errands.  Back later.
I think this is the first time this forum has ever been called respectful. Keep at it and you'll annoy one of us enough to debate you.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

Hijiri Byakuren

I'm game. Will it be a formal debate, or just a publicly-viewable discussion?
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

stromboli

Be sure and read the thread about Jesus didn't exist. There are also books on the subject with the same conclusion. Catholic priests have been buggering little boys for centuries. Get a clue, seriously.

Johan

Quote from: redsoxfan77 on September 29, 2014, 07:02:35 PM
The fact is that Christianity and Catholicism do not condone this abuse. 
The Catholic church knowingly and willfully protected known pedophiles for years. The church used every tactic available to keep victims quiet and protect the guilty from prosecution. The church that should have been there to help victims heal, instead paid victims off to keep them quiet. If that doesn't equate to condoning said abuse, I don't know what does. If you're good looking the other way on that, so be it. I'm not.

But lets move beyond that. There are tons of mono-theistic religions. Almost all of them claim that their god is the one true god and no other exist. So what makes you sure that your god is the right god? What makes you so sure followers of every other religion are wrong and will therefore burn in hell?
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

The Skeletal Atheist

Quote from: redsoxfan77 on September 29, 2014, 07:02:35 PM
  Evil men did this, or failed to stop it. 
Yes, that is true. Now would you call an organization that at every level failed to stop this, even though they had the power to, evil? Because I sure as hell would.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

Mike Cl

Quote from: redsoxfan77 on September 29, 2014, 02:49:57 PM
Hello,

I'm a theist who is up to having a one on one discussion with anyone about religion.  I am a Catholic, so matters that pertain to Christianity/Catholicism would be the area I am most able to comment effectively upon.  I came to the one on one discussion board so that I am not bombarded and buried under a ton of responses. 

It's been a few years since I was here last, so it's good to be back.  Other than that I'll check in here when I get the chance. If we are actively discussing a topic and I have to run I'll let you know so that you're not waiting at your computer for a response that will take some time in coming.
As a life long and die-hard (means I stand by them win or lose) Yankee fan, we would clash in more than one area. :)  I am always curious why a person believes in God; how were you introduced to the concept?  Now that you are an adult (I assume you are), why do you continue believing in God?  I have tried all my life to understand God.  I've been to several churches, bible schools, bible studies, and even been a church board president and vice president.  Always interested in the 'why' and 'purpose' of life--still am.  I have read the bible from cover to cover--not all at one setting, of course--and have a couple dozen books dealing with the bible.  They range from the absurd from the nonbelievers to the absurd believers and everything in between.  I've spent 4/5 years attending Jesus Seminar conventions and the like.  The typical problem with discussing this topic is that the theist usually falls back on name calling when they become uncomfortable with the direction the conversation takes--I enjoy a respectful discussion.  Often I learn stuff in that manner.  I probably would not try to dissuade you about your beliefs, but I would ask pointed questions; and I would expect the same in return.  I did respect the way the Sox Nation treated Jeter--that was classy.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?