What do you think is the purpose/should be the purpose of public school?

Started by zarus tathra, September 25, 2014, 04:50:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savior2006

The purpose of public schools is to give religious fundys of all stripes something to complain about: the dreaded specter of Secular Liberal Education that seeks to undermine traditional religious horseshit....

Whoops, I meant doctrine. Damn keyboard.
It took science to do what people imagine God can do.
--ApostateLois

"The closer you are to God the further you are from the truth."
--St Giordano

zarus tathra

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on September 26, 2014, 03:09:31 PM
Teach basic skills to think for themselves with basic knowledge of the real world,not some fantasy "We wish the world was X" bullshit. 

Every system of education has some idea of how the world SHOULD be.
?"Belief is always most desired, most pressingly needed, when there is a lack of will." -Friedrich Nietzsche

Ideals are imperfect. Morals are self-serving.

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: zarus tathra on September 26, 2014, 06:31:06 PM
Should be and fantasy bullshit are two different things..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

zarus tathra

No they're not. It's a matter of degree rather than of classification. The difference is not nearly as strong as the difference between, say, matter and energy, or gas and solid.
?"Belief is always most desired, most pressingly needed, when there is a lack of will." -Friedrich Nietzsche

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: zarus tathra on September 26, 2014, 08:23:54 PM
No they're not. It's a matter of degree rather than of classification. The difference is not nearly as strong as the difference between, say, matter and energy, or gas and solid.
You're right.. You SHOULD promote fantasy bullshit for fun and profit..

zarus tathra

Monarchy is fantasy bullshit because there is no God to give people divine right.

Democracy is also fantasy bullshit because people are not and will never be equal.

Capitalism is fantasy bullshit because goods and services and information have value and dyed sheets of silk paper and easily melted yellow metal (gold) do not.

And yet all have been promoted fanatically and spread by the sword all throughout human history.

AllPurposeAtheist

zarus tathra

Icarus

Quote from: zarus tathra on September 27, 2014, 02:16:55 AM
hurr durrr meathead
Is that all you can say?
It's appropriate when you'v shown to be resilient to understanding basic human concepts. I'll try to help you out, although I doubt you receive any assistance with a positive attitude.
Quote from: zarus tathra on September 26, 2014, 06:31:06 PM
Every PERSON has some idea of how the world should be.
Quote from: zarus tathra on September 26, 2014, 08:23:54 PM
Don't use science analogies, ever, especially when you don't understand what they mean. Matter is energy, solid is not a gas, they are not the same comparative.
Quote from: zarus tathra on September 26, 2014, 08:39:14 PM
Monarchy is fantasy bullshit because there is no God to give people divine right.
Democracy is also fantasy bullshit because people are not and will never be equal.
Capitalism is fantasy bullshit because goods and services and information have value and dyed sheets of silk paper and easily melted yellow metal (gold) do not.
And yet all have been promoted fanatically and spread by the sword all throughout human history.
Monarchies are given the right to rule by the people they rule, willingly or through other means. Democracy is an idea that changes depending on who you ask to define it, you define it as fantasy bullshit while others hold it above all else. Things have value because humans decide they have value, I'm not sure why you think that you alone can decide for all of mankind what has value and what doesn't.

Moralnihilist

Quote from: Icarus on September 27, 2014, 08:13:43 AMI'm not sure why you think that you alone can decide for all of mankind what has value and what doesn't.

Im guessing egomaniacal, that or small penis.

On second thought just small penis.
Science doesn't give a damn about religions, because "damns" are not measurable units and therefore have no place in research. As soon as it's possible to detect damns, we'll quantize perdition and number all the levels of hell. Until then, science doesn't care.

doorknob

I find this to be relevant to topic at hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OF0884mg650

oh and I just want to add I find this as historical but I don't agree that modern education is very effective at it's goal. Especially not in the city where kids have no respect for authority.

Also I think that currently the school systems in japan are most effective why we don't adapt that model of schooling is beyond me?

SGOS

Quote from: doorknob on September 27, 2014, 09:47:51 AM
I find this to be relevant to topic at hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OF0884mg650

oh and I just want to add I find this as historical but I don't agree that modern education is very effective at it's goal. Especially not in the city where kids have no respect for authority.

Also I think that currently the school systems in japan are most effective why we don't adapt that model of schooling is beyond me?
Whatever Horace Mann's original intentions, I think we have drifted away from the Prussian indoctrination=education model.  There is still much indoctrination going on in schools, but less than when I was in grade school.  Colleges seem to be hot beds of dissent that would make a Prussian shudder.  In fact, that kind of free thought is why a lot of Americans hate our school system so much.

But I did enjoy learning about the origin of our system.  That was news to me.  I like the part in the video where they had to figure out how to get the Prussian soldiers to stop thinking for themselves.  What chaos on the battlefield.  LOL

AllPurposeAtheist

Hydra009

Quote from: zarus tathra on September 26, 2014, 08:39:14 PMDemocracy is also fantasy bullshit because people are not and will never be equal.
That's not actually a requirement for democracy.

QuoteCapitalism is fantasy bullshit because goods and services and information have value and dyed sheets of silk paper and easily melted yellow metal (gold) do not.
Welcome to wonderful world of currency.  And yes, as we all learned in elementary school, paper money doesn't have any intrinsic value.  That's the point!

The Skeletal Atheist

Quote from: GrinningYMIR on September 25, 2014, 07:26:25 PM
Hell, the way they teach it now, we practically won the Revolutionary war all by ourselves, and that Washington was the greatest tactician in history
You're a fucking heretic. Washington personally spilt the Atlantic ocean and punched the king in the face. Afterwards a bald eagle, though not native to England, eviscerated Parliament. Meanwhile Jesus gave Thomas Jefferson the constitution on Mount Freedom, which had since been torn down by president Barack Hussein Bin Laden Obammer.

Anyone with the simplest understanding of American history would know that.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!