Emma Watson's UN Gender Equality speech

Started by PickelledEggs, September 23, 2014, 11:59:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solitary

There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Munch

Quote from: Mermaid on September 25, 2014, 10:56:19 AM
There you go. You are making the assumption that by speaking out as feminists, women are speaking out against men.

THIS is the crux of the issue, for this is not the case AT ALL.

I have a lot of wonderful, caring, sensitive men in my life who do everything they can to be respectful of women. These same men make jokes about how, for example, a failing baseball team plays like a bunch of ladies. Is this okay? This is a very small thing but these small things add up. Women are seen as somehow weaker and lesser in every aspect of our daily lives. Why is that? Why is everyone so goddamned concerned with Hillary Clinton's pantsuits? And this?

I'm not making that assumption, really i'm not. I know many feminists do infact speak what is the real deal with feminism which is the pursuit for equality for both sexes, and do so in logical and reasonable ways.
All I've been saying is there are women who don't do this, women who do wish to kick men in the balls and even use violence to do it, and still call themselves feminists, ones that are man haters. There are women who are like this, and people will see them as they call themselves feminists, and assume that is what a feminist is.

Please don't accuse me of degrading the purpose of a real feminist, one whos about equality for both like Emma Watson is. You know full well what I mean when I say some women are just not for having the same equality as men, some just want to ball break.

I am against cruelty to women, just as I am against cruelty to men in the same situation.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Shiranu

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on September 25, 2014, 11:01:28 AM
Then I guess you're gonna die, because feminazis are real. And they are assholes. Anita Sarkeesian, I'm looking at you.

I'm sorry, who exactly is Sarkeesian putting in concentration camps? Mass genocide? Where are the millions of dead men carried out by her and her like?

Less literally, how is she infringing on your rights at all by having some extreme opinions? You have extreme opinions as well about things, are you therefor a nazi as well? Or is it only when a woman criticizing a man that they become a nazi?

There is alot she says (and does) that I disagree with, but that doesn't make her a nazi because her opinion is strong and contrary to mine. That shit is just as annoying as, "OBAMA IS HITLER!" or "BUSH IS HITLER!"

I guess we are also athenazi's because we think religion should die out and causes more harm than it really does. And I really hate those Afronazis who are pissed off about their culture being repressed by the majority. And we all know "that one guy" who is such a damn vegitarinazi, amirite?

To each their own, but it is such a stupid meme that was coined by far-right nutjob sexist assfucks like Limbaugh and only allows of them to have some validity. Fuck the term feminazi.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Mermaid

Quote from: Shiranu on September 25, 2014, 03:53:54 PM

To each their own, but it is such a stupid meme that was coined by far-right nutjob sexist assfucks like Limbaugh and only allows of them to have some validity. Fuck the term feminazi.
Thank you.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Mermaid

Quote from: Munch on September 25, 2014, 02:46:19 PM
I'm not making that assumption, really i'm not. I know many feminists do infact speak what is the real deal with feminism which is the pursuit for equality for both sexes, and do so in logical and reasonable ways.
All I've been saying is there are women who don't do this, women who do wish to kick men in the balls and even use violence to do it, and still call themselves feminists, ones that are man haters. There are women who are like this, and people will see them as they call themselves feminists, and assume that is what a feminist is.

Please don't accuse me of degrading the purpose of a real feminist, one whos about equality for both like Emma Watson is. You know full well what I mean when I say some women are just not for having the same equality as men, some just want to ball break.

I am against cruelty to women, just as I am against cruelty to men in the same situation.
Apologies if I misinterpreted what you said.

It's the term "feminazi" that set me off.

And my point is that women have to break through a barrier of sexism and repression before men and women can be truly on an even playing field. That is a Herculean task.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Green Bottle

Aye ok, it was a good speech but i doubt that she wrote it herself, second rate actress that she is.
Apart from the Harry potter movies what has she done, sorry i forgot, she starred in that fuckin crap movie Noah did she not.
God doesnt exist, but if he did id tell him to ''Fuck Off''

Hydra009

Quote from: Green Bottle on September 25, 2014, 06:45:47 PM
Aye ok, it was a good speech but i doubt that she wrote it herself, second rate actress that she is.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Shiranu on September 25, 2014, 03:53:54 PM
I'm sorry, who exactly is Sarkeesian putting in concentration camps? Mass genocide? Where are the millions of dead men carried out by her and her like?

Less literally, how is she infringing on your rights at all by having some extreme opinions? You have extreme opinions as well about things, are you therefor a nazi as well? Or is it only when a woman criticizing a man that they become a nazi?

There is alot she says (and does) that I disagree with, but that doesn't make her a nazi because her opinion is strong and contrary to mine. That shit is just as annoying as, "OBAMA IS HITLER!" or "BUSH IS HITLER!"

I guess we are also athenazi's because we think religion should die out and causes more harm than it really does. And I really hate those Afronazis who are pissed off about their culture being repressed by the majority. And we all know "that one guy" who is such a damn vegitarinazi, amirite?

The fuck kind of tangent are you going on here? By your logic, I should be putting anyone who uses bad grammar in concentration camps because I apply the label "Grammar Nazi" to myself. There's misunderstanding a tongue-in-cheek way of describing an asshole, and there's being an idiot. You are the latter right now.

By the way, you'd totally be in a concentration camp right now if I were a literal Grammar Nazi. :lol:
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

PickelledEggs

Ok. So... yeah...

Anyway, mermaid. Like I was saying. The only reason I said feminazi was in reply to Munch saying the word. Not that makes it right... (it doesn't at all)... but I'm glad you and shir called me out on that for the reason that I would rather fuck up with something like that and be able to fix what I said in the company of reasonable people. (first and last time I will ever use that word) Looking back, I should have stayed focused and explained that was probably one of the big reasons man-hating wasn't gone in to in depth in the speech. When Munch thought I was agreeing with him, and all of a sudden I was the offensive one to you, I knew something was WAY off in my wording. Because it's exactly the opposite of what my stance is. Although that it probably didn't help my wordage typing that out a min after I woke up this morning in my bed and on my phone. I REALLY fucked that paragraph up.

For when I was talking about misogynistic women, I was talking about the women that "slut shame" and whatnot. I'm not sure what the problem is with sleeping around if that's what a person is in to, but people telling other people what to do, even if it's women ordering other women what to do or women shaming other women like that is not feminism how I understand it. If feminism is about achieving equality for the female part of the population, isn't restricting women from doing what they want hindering that? I found it similar to that stupid "Virtue Makes You Beautiful" video in that sense. I really don't even know what that has to do with what the speech was about.... which I guess, ironically confused me and everyone else that read my cluster-fuck of a paragraph....

Seriously. Sorry, Mermaid. It's really embarrassing that I am 100% in agreement with what you are saying and my wordage misrepresented that. I'll shut up in this thread now so I don't fuck myself over any more. :(

Mermaid

You are pretty awesome, PE. You seriously do not need to apologize to me for anything. I really hope you don't shut up. :)

GrinningYMIR

*ahem* I find Emma Watson's speech both poignant and enjoyable in that it applies feminism to both women and men, and describes it as a broader subject rather than just women trying to find their places in society which they should already have.

I'm not certain quite how to word it, but I do like this speech and what it stands for
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Hydra009

Quote from: Mermaid on September 25, 2014, 10:56:19 AMI have a lot of wonderful, caring, sensitive men in my life who do everything they can to be respectful of women. These same men make jokes about how, for example, a failing baseball team plays like a bunch of ladies.
You're absolutely right.  I've been noticing this sort of unconscious sexism a lot lately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrqaw7lB76c

Props to female fighter pilot followed by sexist jokes.  Two steps forward one step back.

PickelledEggs

Hydra009

Everything about that makes me rage.  And you know what?  All that Marlboro man BS is a pretty good illustration of how sexism is a problem that also affects men.  Gender inequality isn't just a woman's issue.  It affects everyone.

Munch

Quote from: Mermaid on September 25, 2014, 04:18:05 PM
Apologies if I misinterpreted what you said.

It's the term "feminazi" that set me off.

And my point is that women have to break through a barrier of sexism and repression before men and women can be truly on an even playing field. That is a Herculean task.

Oh I know it is, I said it myself that such a task to have worldwide equality in the men and women debate, heck, all societal aspects, would be a huge undertaking, more then what world leaders could manage to change.
Just understand as people have already said here, the words feminazi or grammar-nazi are tongue in cheek names that honestly has nothing to do with Nazism, it's just what has been coined for a while now, like how people say something is gay when describing something they think as weak or lame, you just have to assess the context of how they say it.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin