Emma Watson's UN Gender Equality speech

Started by PickelledEggs, September 23, 2014, 11:59:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mermaid

Like you said, I feel the same way about some atheists. There will always be a spectrum in this regard.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Munch on September 24, 2014, 11:28:20 AM
Yeah. It's true what she says and I'm happy she pushed for equality for both, to just let us be who we are and not be bogged down by how society expects us to be.
It's just a shame any approach to what she hopes for equality will always be hampered by raging feminazis and wife beating fucktards.

Feminazis are not feminists, IMO. They are some weird pseudo-misogynistic-feminist brand of nut jobs. The whole point of feminism is what Emma Watson said in her speech, equality.

And she hit the nail on the head when she said both men and women need to be involved for it to work. Honestly, although I despise feminazis, I have a huge itching feeling they spawned out of the hate-scum of the earth because for the longest time, no one stood up and said men also have to stand up for it. She finally made it official, even though some of us men already knew that.

The problem with feminazis is that they look for privilege over men... in many ways the same way religions have privilege in the government already. They are bullies. That Beyonce song Girls Rule the World is a good example of the shit they peddle. When you try to gain rights by taking other people's away you are going to gain unnecessary hate towards your cause. That is the problem with the feminazis. It kind of sucks for women that they won't actually get to be the more powerful gender, but for this to work and for us to have real harmony, feminazis are going to have to suck that one up and just help the worthwhile cause of encouraging everyone to embrace equality. (in essence stop being fascist shits and start being pro-equality)

Real feminism, what Watson is encouraging everyone to take part of, is gaining of equal rights. Not saying that women are more important than men or that men are scum, but that we are both equally important.

I think Emma Watson would have been digging herself a hole if she went in to any more detail than she did just hinting about it not being about "men-hating" The point of the speech was to address what we need to do, not about what we shouldn't do.

Hydra009

Quote from: PickelledEggs on September 24, 2014, 09:19:18 PMfor the longest time, no one stood up and said men also have to stand up for it. She finally made it official, even though some of us men already knew that.
*cough*

It's not exactly a new argument, but yeah, it's definitely one that has been sorely needed lately.

Shiranu

Every time I hear the word feminazi from otherwise intelligent people, I die abit inside.

Anyone who uses one of Rush Limbaugh's catchphrases and scapegoats instantly loses a little respect from me. Might as well just start quoting Ayn Rand and Glenn Beck, or Sarah Palin, while you're at it...
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

PickelledEggs

True, Hydra. And yeah. It did need to be formally addressed... Again. And I don't think it could have been done any better.

Shir, dude...  Did you not read what I said? There is a difference between feminazi and feminist. Feminazis are fascists in 2 huge ways. They try to make men lower than  women in social status (when they should be trying to make enforce their equality) and many of them are super misogynistic towards fellow women saying things like "don't wear  this!"  "Don't do that!" the whole point of women's empowerment is making so they can do whatever they want without needed to be ordered to do so. If that's not warranting the title "feminazi", I don't know what is. And it's those women  that take the word feminist as their own, (when they aren't feminists, they're being oppressive in their own way) and give feminists a bad name.

Sent from your mom

Munch

I'm glad you get what I mean Pickelled, the difference between real feminism and the feminazis is sadly what makes it harder for people like Watson to be taken seriously by a lot of people, since how many people will think of when they think feminist will be these angry, hate filled ball crushers.

The problem with these women is they think coming down aggressively on all men is the only way for women to gain standing in the world, even though not all men do think like control freak wife beaters, many men in western culture know women are on the same level as them and don't treat them any differently to there male friends and family.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

PickelledEggs

No. I totally know what you are saying, Munch. I just thought she was very clear that man-hating isn't what feminism and her cause is about... And u though she was very clear that her cause was about being proactive as 2 parts of a whole, women and men, not 2 different sides.

Bringing up every issue blocking a cause would only confuse people. It would have not been a smart move for her to lengthen and scatter the direction of her speech to address the problems more than she already did. She was clear that the problem, as a whole, is that women are not viewed equal to men, and she focused on the action we need to take and how to go about it very directly . 

Sent from your mom

Mermaid

Quote from: PickelledEggs on September 24, 2014, 09:19:18 PM
Feminazis are not feminists, IMO. They are some weird pseudo-misogynistic-feminist brand of nut jobs. The whole point of feminism is what Emma Watson said in her speech, equality.

And she hit the nail on the head when she said both men and women need to be involved for it to work. Honestly, although I despise feminazis, I have a huge itching feeling they spawned out of the hate-scum of the earth because for the longest time, no one stood up and said men also have to stand up for it. She finally made it official, even though some of us men already knew that.

The problem with feminazis is that they look for privilege over men... in many ways the same way religions have privilege in the government already. They are bullies. That Beyonce song Girls Rule the World is a good example of the shit they peddle. When you try to gain rights by taking other people's away you are going to gain unnecessary hate towards your cause. That is the problem with the feminazis. It kind of sucks for women that they won't actually get to be the more powerful gender, but for this to work and for us to have real harmony, feminazis are going to have to suck that one up and just help the worthwhile cause of encouraging everyone to embrace equality. (in essence stop being fascist shits and start being pro-equality)

Real feminism, what Watson is encouraging everyone to take part of, is gaining of equal rights. Not saying that women are more important than men or that men are scum, but that we are both equally important.

I think Emma Watson would have been digging herself a hole if she went in to any more detail than she did just hinting about it not being about "men-hating" The point of the speech was to address what we need to do, not about what we shouldn't do.

Emma Watson's delivery was spot on, and I applaud her for that.

Your use of the word "Feminizi" is an example of the foundation of the issue. While I think we agree on the goal of equality, I think that first, the playing field has to be leveled for that to be anywhere near achievable. Do you understand what is so offensive about the word Feminazi in this context?

You say that "feminazis" want special treatment? Do I understand that correctly?

For a strong woman to be labeled as such (you may as well call her a fat, ugly man-hating lesbian) you are reinforcing what makes her so angry in the first place.

I am truly not understanding your use of the word "misogynist" in this context, either.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Mermaid

Quote from: Munch on September 25, 2014, 05:20:43 AM
I'm glad you get what I mean Pickelled, the difference between real feminism and the feminazis is sadly what makes it harder for people like Watson to be taken seriously by a lot of people, since how many people will think of when they think feminist will be these angry, hate filled ball crushers.

The problem with these women is they think coming down aggressively on all men is the only way for women to gain standing in the world, even though not all men do think like control freak wife beaters, many men in western culture know women are on the same level as them and don't treat them any differently to there male friends and family.

There you go. You are making the assumption that by speaking out as feminists, women are speaking out against men.

THIS is the crux of the issue, for this is not the case AT ALL.

I have a lot of wonderful, caring, sensitive men in my life who do everything they can to be respectful of women. These same men make jokes about how, for example, a failing baseball team plays like a bunch of ladies. Is this okay? This is a very small thing but these small things add up. Women are seen as somehow weaker and lesser in every aspect of our daily lives. Why is that? Why is everyone so goddamned concerned with Hillary Clinton's pantsuits? And this?

Sexism ranges from the incredibly subtle to the overt and it is ingrained in the very fabric of our culture. So much so that a lot of people do not ever get it. The playing field is very far from level at this point.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Shiranu on September 25, 2014, 02:19:53 AMEvery time I hear the word feminazi from otherwise intelligent people, I die abit inside.
Then I guess you're gonna die, because feminazis are real. And they are assholes. Anita Sarkeesian, I'm looking at you.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Mermaid

Another thought that I feel is important to make: Our cultural bias against women lays with both genders, not just men. Pointing out gender injustices is not a slight to men at all. It's something that every one of us is responsible for, men, women, and anywhere in between.

Listen to me drone on. It must be my time of the month.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Mermaid on September 25, 2014, 11:07:41 AM
Another thought that I feel is important to make: Our cultural bias against women lays with both genders, not just men. Pointing out gender injustices is not a slight to men at all. It's something that every one of us is responsible for, men, women, and anywhere in between.
I absolutely agree. I don't want my hatred of assholes to be confused with being a misogynist; I just hate assholes.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

PickelledEggs

Mermaid. The only reason I said feminazi in my first post was to reply to Munch's use of the word. Honestly, I don't think I did a very good job communicating what I meant because I do find the word offensive and prefer not to use it, so sorry about that... . In fact the only reason I used it so many times in this thread since Munch's post, was to compare the difference between his accusations and what Emma's goal was.

I'm at work right now and don't have enough time to sneak away from the register to type a full reclassification of what I meant to say (including the bit about misogyny) but I'll do it when I get out.

Sent from your mom

Jason Harvestdancer

Quote from: Shiranu on September 25, 2014, 02:19:53 AMAnyone who uses one of Rush Limbaugh's catchphrases and scapegoats instantly loses a little respect from me. Might as well just start quoting Ayn Rand and Glenn Beck, or Sarah Palin, while you're at it...

One of these things is not like the others,
One of these things just doesn't belong,
Can you tell which thing is not like the others
By the time I finish my song?

Three of these things belong together
Three of these things are kind of the same
Can you guess which one of these doesn't belong here?
Now it's time to play our game (time to play our game).
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

Solitary

There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.