Emma Watson's UN Gender Equality speech

Started by PickelledEggs, September 23, 2014, 11:59:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PickelledEggs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-iFl4qhBsE

This is probably the most game-changing and inspiring things I have seen all year.

Poison Tree

Ok, I saw this posted on facebook where it was titled "Emma Waston's speech a game changer". Here it is "game-changing". I have to ask do you actually think this speech will change anything or is "game-changing" just hyperbole?
"Observe that noses were made to wear spectacles; and so we have spectacles. Legs were visibly instituted to be breeched, and we have breeches" Voltaire�s Candide

PickelledEggs

I have a feeling that it will definitely bring a metric shit ton of awareness to the points she made and what I already knew...  That it's about equality, that while women suffer the most, the burden that is put on men is also a problem, and how feminism is not about hating men, it's about giving women the same rights and privileges as men.

It had to be addressed and she did it. It's recognized by the UN, and it was all over the net, already making waves and raising awareness. So of course I think it's a game changer.

Sent from your mom

Icarus

The big question is, did she write her own speech?

Munch

Her speech is very strong, and hits all the right notes. she covers the fact that both men and women suffer inequality, and the expectations forced on men in how they must act in society otherwise deemed as weak.

However, there is something I feel she doesn't address, which to me is a firm example of just why feminism is not taken seriously today. Yes there is the strong opinion of men who deem women as weak and thus disempowering them, you see this in extremes in middle eastern countries with desert dwellers treating women like slaves, but there is another threat to it, and thats women themselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvYyGTmcP80

Bitches like this make the pursuit women have to be taken seriously so much more of a struggle, because of the brazen way 'feminists' like this act, people see feminists in this light as a result. Yes Emmas works are strong in going for a basic need of equality, but it won't fix this problem even if all men accepted women as equals, because your still have these angry irrational bitches claiming to be feminists 

Also I'd hate to undermine her speech because I feel as strong for equality myself, but her quote from Edmund Burke didn't include women in it, the full quote was "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”, not men and women. And although I would extend that quote to both sexes, it is just as easily for any woman hating man to turn that back and say it is a saying only applying to men.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Solitary

I think the fact that she showed how it effects men also was showing it is not just a problem for women in the world.
It was a terrific rational speech by a woman that is more mature than she looks. When she was speaking it reminded me of the flack that men and boys give Danica Patrick in her racing career by being aggressive and showing her emotions like men do, and being called a no talent bitch. Which is funny, because just to be in a race car like the men in last place shows she has talent. She usually qualifies fastest, how can she not have talent? I hope this speech is a game changer, where men and women don't have to meet the demands of societies bigotries, stereotypes, and just be themselves without feeling ashamed or belittled. Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Munch

Yeah. It's true what she says and I'm happy she pushed for equality for both, to just let us be who we are and not be bogged down by how society expects us to be.
It's just a shame any approach to what she hopes for equality will always be hampered by raging feminazis and wife beating fucktards.

Hydra009

I really like how she emphasizes that this is about both sexes and needs the support of both sexes.  All too often, we've had people narrow-mindedly fixate on only a single sex, as if one sex's problems aren't intertwined with the other.

This is definitely going to be an uphill battle, considering the certain opposition from SJW pseudo-feminists and actual misogynists.

Jason Harvestdancer

Munch's example shows the problem with feminism - they do nothing about their extremists, and thus the term means nothing.

At least Christians, when confronted with examples like the crusades, the inquisition, and Fred Felps all fall back on the No True Scotsman fallacy.  Feminists aren't even willing to go that far in confronting the extremists using the name "feminist."  The closest they ever get is "Not All Feminists Are Like That", or NAFALT.

Feminism cannot mean anything as long as it includes the definition provided by Emma Watson and that cool-aid hair colored least likable person ever.

So I say "I favor equality, and that is why I do not consider myself a feminist."
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

Mermaid

Quote from: Munch on September 24, 2014, 08:03:39 AM
Bitches like this make the pursuit women have to be taken seriously so much more of a struggle, because of the brazen way 'feminists' like this act, people see feminists in this light as a result. Yes Emmas works are strong in going for a basic need of equality, but it won't fix this problem even if all men accepted women as equals, because your still have these angry irrational bitches claiming to be feminists 
Her delivery is not very polite, but she is a feminist. And she's angry. I disagree, however, that she is an irrational bitch. She is obviously frustrated and she feels like she is not being heard. She is rude and classless. She will never get her message across by cursing and insulting the person she is debating.

Women speaking out and being outraged being called "angry irrational bitches" is part of what she is angry about.

A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Mermaid

Quote from: Jason_Harvestdancer on September 24, 2014, 01:33:58 PM
Munch's example shows the problem with feminism - they do nothing about their extremists, and thus the term means nothing.

Really?
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Solitary

If she was a man and did the same things she does, be called manly man?  :eek: :lol:
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Munch

Quote from: Mermaid on September 24, 2014, 04:09:18 PM
Her delivery is not very polite, but she is a feminist. And she's angry. I disagree, however, that she is an irrational bitch. She is obviously frustrated and she feels like she is not being heard. She is rude and classless. She will never get her message across by cursing and insulting the person she is debating.

Women speaking out and being outraged being called "angry irrational bitches" is part of what she is angry about.

Don't get me wrong I agree with the pursuit of finding justice for women to have it as equal as men and to, as Emma said it, break from the stereotypes society has set. But I also disagree with pushing so hard for it you just come off as angry and aggressive, it doesn't create a positive or productive voice of reason, it just makes you look as bad as those your fighting against.

Just like how intelligence and reason is the forefront of being an athiest, it too should apply for getting social rights for both genders to be equal, but just screaming at people like a banshee. I'm someone who campaigned for gay rights for many years, and still do online sometimes, but I learned the winning voice is always the voice of reason and logic, like Watsons here.

Mermaid

She's an idiot, I'll grant you that. But that doesn't mean her message is wrong. That kind of behavior will invariably have the opposite effect. My issue was with your calling her an irrational bitch and questioning whether she was a "real" feminist.

I think we are on the same page as far as representing.

Munch

I just feel that like with any form of social justice, you need to have people represent a cause with reason, intellect and able to stand their ground. Having someone rage and act that way isn't going to help, and unfortunately because of just how badly some feminists rage and go at this in the worst possible way, that is what makes the negative stereotype for why people dislike feminists.

My mum told me about how the feminist movement began and her remembering what it use to be about, of social change, of women showing the world they are part of it and are as important as men, as you expect feminism to be. But she also said how she agrees with people on how some people calling themselves feminists have no idea how to go about it, and are just making the idea of feminism into a disgrace.