News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The Police

Started by wolf39us, February 15, 2013, 08:12:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolf39us

Yes, I'm aware there exists unmarked cop cars.  Many of the unmarked I've seen are the same old "crown-victorias" WITH the spot light still attached.  That's not to say that other makes and models aren't around.  I just think that there should be MORE unmarked vs marked cars.  Also, the unmarked cars shouldn't resemble a standard cop vehicle.

I can spot an unmarked from a good distance usually... why?  Because they are the same fucking cars.  Hell, I've seen unmarked cars that have the lights installed IN their windshield, completely visible.

They can do a much better job blending in then they do now!

Colanth

It's very dependent on state laws.  In NY, for example, only an official vehicle can show flashing or rotating lights when in motion.  Even though a cop with state police power (which a cop in most major cities is) is "on duty" 24/7, whether in or out of uniform, or on or off the clock, he can't run lights on his personal vehicle.

BTW, most cops are not bad drivers, we're atrocious drivers.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

Seabear

QuoteBTW, most cops are not bad drivers, we're atrocious drivers.

Cops cause accidents all the time because they drive distracted, fucking about with the computers in their cars.
"There is a saying in the scientific community, that every great scientific truth goes through three phases. First, people deny it. Second, they say it conflicts with the Bible. Third, they say they knew it all along."

- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Johan

I wish I had a dollar for every time I've seen a cop driving while holding a cell phone to his ear.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

stromboli

Shitty drivers, people using cellphones or whatever, will stop doing that when they see a cop. Having cops go around in either unmarked cars or their own vehicles might be a way to write more tickets, but it wouldn't otherwise slow or stop that behavior. And like APA said, off duty cops can be as shitty drivers as anybody else. They use their cellphones and drive stupid just like the other stupid people.

AllPurposeAtheist

Most shitty drivers watch the brake light in front of them from to close a distance and toss in all the distractions, alcohol, weed, kids, phones, car electronics, etc., and shitty is the new normal. :roll:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Thumpalumpacus

Another reason I don't like the idea of letting cops put lights in their POVs is that it introduces uncertainty into the driver's mind when they're being pulled over.  Like I said elsewhere, in California, one robbery/rape tactic was to drive behind someone at night and induce them to pull over by flashing headlights int heir rear-view mirror. How much more dangerous those criminals might be if the driver had to pull over because of a police light that the criminal had obtained and installed?  The driver could not be certain of the car's legitimacy or not.  

Undercover vehicles, with no markings and no exempt registration, should be reserved for undercover investigations only.  Traffic enforcement cannot be completely effective because we simply don't have the numbers of officers that would be required.

If you see someone talking on the phone or texting, you could always lay heavy onto your horn and wake them up.  I've done that a couple of times and the deer-in-the-headlights look seems to be par for that course.  I imagine if enough people did that, you'd see less bullshit driving.
<insert witty aphorism here>

Shiranu

Quote from: "stromboli"Shitty drivers, people using cellphones or whatever, will stop doing that when they see a cop. Having cops go around in either unmarked cars or their own vehicles might be a way to write more tickets, but it wouldn't otherwise slow or stop that behavior. And like APA said, off duty cops can be as shitty drivers as anybody else. They use their cellphones and drive stupid just like the other stupid people.

This. I am more concerned about safe driving than writing tickets.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Plu

The best way to keep the road safe is to take away driver's licenses from people who don't drive safely. But somehow people think they have a right to a driver's license or something.

I heard that in the Netherlands you can actually have your driver's license returned to you after it's been taking away if you can show that you need it for your job. That's fucking bullshit. If you need it for your job you should have even more incentive to drive safely since you're on the road even more. Instead, we reward people for being shitty drivers more of the tim by returning their license only if they can show they're being a danger to society more than other people who don't get their license back.

Totally ridiculous.

Brian37

Quote from: "wolf39us"I was wondering everyone's opinion on a thought I had yesterday (and one that has been reoccurring in my mind).

Should all police officers be "able" to have lights installed in their personal vehicles?  I feel like I see a lot of shitty driving on the road all day long, but when there's a cop around, everyone's a god damn saint!

Wouldn't having officers driving around in their personal vehicles be a better deterrent?  Bet you didn't know that Honda Civic was a cop!  BLUE LIGHTS!

I understand that there is a negative to this (impersonating a police officer)... but surely this could be alleviated with some sort of effective identification.  Thoughts?

No and I hate that idea. The problem with that is there are already cases of police abuse. The idea of keeping them marked allows the public to hold them to account. Plus there have also been cases where people fake being cops.

I hate speeders too, so the best thing to do is complain to your local district and while they cant do it every day, if they get enough complaints they will put a speed trap in that area.

While the vast majority of police are honest, I've seen too much history in my life where police make mistakes or have have flat out been corrupt. The public should always have a way to have oversight of government themselves.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

St Giordano Bruno

I was pulled over once by an unmarked cop car, not long after I got my license when I was 18, and what made it look all that strange that "unmarked cop car" was actually a station wagon with two surf boards on top. I guess the cops need to do some surfing in their spare time where I come from, or they were just out to fool and trap us young larrikins.
Voltaire - "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities"

Johan

Quote from: "wolf39us"Yes, I'm aware there exists unmarked cop cars.  Many of the unmarked I've seen are the same old "crown-victorias" WITH the spot light still attached.  That's not to say that other makes and models aren't around.  I just think that there should be MORE unmarked vs marked cars.  Also, the unmarked cars shouldn't resemble a standard cop vehicle.

I can spot an unmarked from a good distance usually... why?  Because they are the same fucking cars.  Hell, I've seen unmarked cars that have the lights installed IN their windshield, completely visible.

They can do a much better job blending in then they do now!
You are aware that police do other things besides trying to catch people who drive like shit right? For that reason as well as others, it is beneficial to use easily identifiable cars. Also there many other tactics I've seen utilized to catch unsuspecting motorists in the act of driving like asshats which do not require the use of a beat up '72 dodge dart.

I understand what you're trying to accomplish with your idea. But there are potentially large liability issues that make it impractical. There are tons of other quite effective techniques which police could employ if they wanted to. If you feel they're not doing that enough where you live, then perhaps its time for you to get politically active and find out why.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

SvZurich

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"Another reason I don't like the idea of letting cops put lights in their POVs is that it introduces uncertainty into the driver's mind when they're being pulled over.  Like I said elsewhere, in California, one robbery/rape tactic was to drive behind someone at night and induce them to pull over by flashing headlights int heir rear-view mirror. How much more dangerous those criminals might be if the driver had to pull over because of a police light that the criminal had obtained and installed?  The driver could not be certain of the car's legitimacy or not.
Young Mitt Romney disagrees.   :twisted:
Kimberly (HSBUH) aka Baroness Sylvia endorses the Meadow Party's Bill N' Opus for the 2024 Presidential election! Or a Sanders/Warren ticket.

aitm

we could save tens of thousands of lives a year simply by getting rid of them cars. They kill innocent people every day. Why not ban them all......

er

wrong thread?

:twisted:
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Johan

Quote from: "aitm"we could save tens of thousands of lives a year simply by getting rid of them cars. They kill innocent people every day. Why not ban them all......
No need to ban them. Just wait about 20 or 40 years, and the cars will all be driving themselves and then most if not all issues caused by bad drivers will be history. Just get in, tell it where you want to go, and then sit back, curl up with a warm bottle of whiskey and slowly numb the pain of your miserable existence while the car drives you safely and efficiently to your destination.

The prospect of it kind of sucks for those of us who drive trucks for a living, but I'll be ready for retirement by that point so I don't really care.