Wheel of Time, the final book finally!

Started by Aroura33, February 24, 2013, 02:54:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aroura33

(WARNING: MAY CONTAIN SOME SPOILERS)

Any other WoT fans at all?  I know, most people who did start the series stopped around book 5 or 6, but I can't be the only one on these forums who stuck out all 14 books....right?

Sot he final book came out last month, and I got it for Valentines day!  Since everyone has been sick, I just this weekend had time to start reading it.  I'm more than half way done, and I'm honestly not sure what to make of it so far.

I was not terribly happy with Sandersons last 2 books in the series, but I am grateful that the books exist at all, considering that Mr. Jordan passed away.  So for me, the entire finale has been a mixed bag.  Well, I guess that is in keeping with the series, lol.

I must say, he's improved his writing of each character.  I actually like Rand now more than I have in the ENTIRE series, so there is that.  
I'm feeling like the spiritual parts of the book are drifting away from the Bhuddist/Taoist thing they started out as, only sort of paying lip service to it, and going WAY too much into the Jesus complex thing.  Maybe that is inevitable with a sacrificial hero, but really.  Rand, the sheapard, Light of the Morning, etc etc.  Might as well rename him Hesus or something.  And what is with the creator TALKING TO HIM??  And Moiraine and Nynaeve hear it too, for some reason??  Dumbest thing in all 14 books.  Period.

Also, WTF with the Seanchan????  Mat and Tuon were the only saving grace of books 10/11, but now they are just sort of a joke.  The Sharans, OTH, are so fascinating.  I know they needed to save the "surprise" of where Demondred has been and what he has been doing, but shit, I want to know more about their society.  They are the only people on that planet that allow their men to channel even knowing the will go mad. Screw the stupid Seanchan and their overly superstitious, totally retarded ideas about everything. And how did they never discover Sul'dam can channel?  In 3000 years???  Yeah, I don't buy it.

Ok, back to reading!
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP"
Leonard Nimoy

commonsense822

When I found out that Robert Jordan died I stopped reading them.  I literally thought no one else read those books though.  Oh I miss WoT.  Long live the Dragon Reborn!

SvZurich

The closest I ever came to it was looking over (and almost buying) the Amber RPG.  No dice, recreates that universe with you as a character able to shift worlds/dimensions.
Kimberly (HSBUH) aka Baroness Sylvia endorses the Meadow Party's Bill N' Opus for the 2024 Presidential election! Or a Sanders/Warren ticket.

Aroura33

Quote from: "commonsense822"When I found out that Robert Jordan died I stopped reading them.  I literally thought no one else read those books though.  Oh I miss WoT.  Long live the Dragon Reborn!
That is too bad.  If you made it through 11 books, you should finish the final 3! lol

He still has a huge fan base, though some are, of course, less than satisfied with the 3 books co-written by someone else.

Don't you want to know if Moraine lived?  Was Verin actually a Darkfriend/Black Ajah?  Who the hell was Mazrim Taim?  Where was Demondred all this time?  Do they win the last battle?  Do they win and just turn on each other for more war?  Does Rand live or not??

I'm curious, and so I couldn't help but keep reading.  All o those questions are answered!  Yay!  There are some flaws in the final books, but if you made it to book 11, you'll already have read the worst books by Jordan himself.

I still have about 150 pages left of the final book...must...go....read!!!   :rollin:
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP"
Leonard Nimoy

Icarus

I stopped at 8, I will get back into them if I ever have a huge period of time off or when I retire.

Aroura33

Quote from: "Icarus"I stopped at 8, I will get back into them if I ever have a huge period of time off or when I retire.
Honestly, it might be best if you just sty stopped there.  6 was the last good book.  I only vaguely even remember what happened in books 7 through 12.  You could probably skip all of those and just read the last 2 and you'd be good, lol.
Leonard Nimoy

commonsense822

I remember reading somewhere that Jordan originally only meant for there to be one book, but it was received well so he just kept on continuing the series.  Altogether I think he did a pretty good job, I definitely think the WoT could be expanded into a fairly profitable movie universe as well.

NitzWalsh

I have the first book, I tried reading it a while ago, but couldn't get into it. It didn't seem like a bad book from what I read though, I'll probably try again one day.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
~ Arthur C. Clarke

Icarus

Quote from: "commonsense822"I remember reading somewhere that Jordan originally only meant for there to be one book, but it was received well so he just kept on continuing the series.  Altogether I think he did a pretty good job, I definitely think the WoT could be expanded into a fairly profitable movie universe as well.

The books have too much depth to make it into a movie series, they would have to cut out 90% of the plot.

commonsense822

Quote from: "Icarus"
Quote from: "commonsense822"I remember reading somewhere that Jordan originally only meant for there to be one book, but it was received well so he just kept on continuing the series.  Altogether I think he did a pretty good job, I definitely think the WoT could be expanded into a fairly profitable movie universe as well.

The books have too much depth to make it into a movie series, they would have to cut out 90% of the plot.

Yeah good point.  There are so many interweaving plots and character viewpoints.

Aroura33

It could maybe be turned into a long series, like was done with the Avatar: The Last Airbender, the cartoon.  
There have been long running fully plotted sci-fi's, but has there ever really been a long running live action fantasy series?  There must be...but none come to mind.  I mean, Game of Thrones...but it's on HBO (and it's only nearing it's 3rd season, right?)

It would make a decent cartoon at least though.  I'm almost 40, and I would totally watch WoT the cartoon series.  It would be easier and cheaper than live action.  Animating all the channeling would be really, really costly in live action.
Leonard Nimoy

GrinningYMIR

WOT is so complex in it's storylines that it would have to do something like GOT in order to become media friendly. A movie just wouldn't do it justice, you can't fit all of the story that you can into a show.

That's something I've noticed, people want the big movie because it brings in money. But usually so much story gets cut out that the fans of the book or game are livid at the dumbed down version that lies in front of them. Its the reason that so many game/book adaptations don't do well. They can't fit 50+ hours of story into a movie, so they try to force as little and yet as much story in as possible. I.e Eragon, Hitman, and *cringes* Doom.

And they did make a comic series that basically translates the book into comic form, it's pretty good actually.
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit