News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Finished the Tough Mudder Yesterday!

Started by Jack89, February 24, 2013, 11:57:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack89

I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to complete it, but I did, and with a pretty respectable time.  Pretty sore this morning, but still pumped.

If you haven't heard of the Tough Mudder, it's a 10-12 mile run/military style obstacle course that'll just plain kick your ass, but in a good way.  :-D    here's a link - //http://toughmudder.com/

There was a couple of obstacles that had me worried.  I'm a bit claustrophobic and there are some tunnels that are so tight you can't even crawl through on your knees.  I was so charged up though, that they weren't a problem at all. I was also a little worried about 2 of the obstacles that zap you with electricity, because of the metal plates in my head and the screws in my shoulder.  They warn you to bypass these obstacles if you have metal in your body, but I said screw it and did them anyway.  They hurt like hell, but I didn't have a seizure or anything.  My son was a little worried about that.

The best part about the Tough Mudder is that there are some obstacles where you really have to work as a team.  My favorites were the mud hills that were so slick you couldn't get up pushing and pulling each other up.

Good times.

Almost forgot, they've raised over 5 million dollars for The Wounded Warrior Project.

stromboli

Yeah, pain. Congratulations. Wish I were 20 years younger, I'd do it.

aitm

Quotebecause of the metal plates in my head

:-"
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "Jack89"I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to complete it, but I did, and with a pretty respectable time.  Pretty sore this morning, but still pumped.

If you haven't heard of the Tough Mudder, it's a 10-12 mile run/military style obstacle course that'll just plain kick your ass, but in a good way.  :-D    here's a link - //http://toughmudder.com/

There was a couple of obstacles that had me worried.  I'm a bit claustrophobic and there are some tunnels that are so tight you can't even crawl through on your knees.  I was so charged up though, that they weren't a problem at all. I was also a little worried about 2 of the obstacles that zap you with electricity, because of the metal plates in my head and the screws in my shoulder.  They warn you to bypass these obstacles if you have metal in your body, but I said screw it and did them anyway.  They hurt like hell, but I didn't have a seizure or anything.  My son was a little worried about that.

The best part about the Tough Mudder is that there are some obstacles where you really have to work as a team.  My favorites were the mud hills that were so slick you couldn't get up pushing and pulling each other up.

Good times.

Almost forgot, they've raised over 5 million dollars for The Wounded Warrior Project.

Wow
Way to go You!!!! =D>
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

Jack89

Quote from: "aitm"
Quotebecause of the metal plates in my head

:-"
Yeah, but they're just little plates...

AllPurposeAtheist

There's a problem with plates? I have a reconstructed eye socket full of titanium..
OH! That's right.. medical science hasn't advanced one iota since 1923.. :roll:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

stromboli

I have metal springs in my right arm holding what is left of my bicep tendon together, from an industrial accident- that being me thinking I was a forklift and trying to pick up a full size plate of steel. Been basically a one armed man for 20 years. But seriously, back in the day, this kind of stuff was awesome. did a lot of off road motorcycling, wrestling bikes in the mud and what not, fun stuff. I fucking hate being old.

NeoLogic26

I've seen this before and toyed with the idea of doing it. I don't think I could handle it without some training first, though. Looks like a blast.
"For me, I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you." - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Jack89

Quote from: "NeoLogic26"I've seen this before and toyed with the idea of doing it. I don't think I could handle it without some training first, though. Looks like a blast.
It was a blast.  The charged up, positive mood there was infectious.  Damn near everyone was grinning ear to ear the whole time.  It was great.  

You definitely have to train for it ahead of time.  I work out 5-6 days a week when I can.  I'm 48 years old and the VA says I'm 70% disabled (I try to deny it most of the time), so my body doesn't cooperate sometimes. I had to stop lifting heavy, and now just do body-weight exercises, some kettlebell work, and run a few days a week.  I feel so much better when I'm working out.  

@stromboli - I know how you feel man.  I figure I only have a few years left of playing hard before I'll have to call it quits.  The old injuries flare up more often than they use to and try to keep me down.  I'll keep at it as long as I can though.