People literally DYING to take the ice bucket challenge...

Started by AllPurposeAtheist, September 20, 2014, 03:50:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllPurposeAtheist

On a side note I personally witnessed a large chunk of ice nearly break a woman's shoulder as some dipshit dropped a bucket of ICE, not icewater on her from a balcony..
Quote(Reuters) - A Kentucky firefighter who was severely injured a month ago while helping college students take part in an "ice-bucket" fundraiser died on Saturday from his injuries, authorities said.

Captain Tony Grider, 41, of Campbellsville was hurt along with three other firefighters when an aerial ladder got too close to a power line as their department doused a university band with water.

Kyle Smith, the chief of Campbellsville Fire and Rescue, said Grider died at noon at University of Louisville hospital.

"His family would like to sincerely thank all of those who have been there for them following this tragic accident," Smith said in a statement.

Grider and his three colleagues were injured on Aug. 21 when they were attempting to help students at Campbellsville University participate in the ice bucket challenge to raise funds to fight amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, also known as Lou Gehrig's disease.

Grider and another firefighter, 22-year-old Simon Quinn, sustained electrocution injuries in the initial incident. Two other firefighters suffered lesser injuries coming to their aid, officials said.

Quinn was released from hospital earlier this week.

"These injuries were very severe and both firefighters have fought extremely hard to overcome them," Smith said.

Arrangements for Grider's funeral service were still pending.

What could POSSIBLY go wrong with power lines and lots of water?  :shifty:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Hydra009

Donating is the preferred way to help out.  You don't have to do the ice bucket thing if you don't want to.  And please don't hurt yourself in the process.  I'm seeing a lot of these people wrench their backs and/or conking themselves in the head trying to do this stuff.  FFS, people.

I didn't even imagine people would possibly shock themselves as part of this.  :'(

AllPurposeAtheist

My thoughts too.. If the ALS foundation wants money from me the easiest way to get it is to simply ask. I'm not even remotely about to have muscular spasms brought on by letting some turd dump ice water on me and THEN pay for the honor..

stromboli

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: stromboli on September 21, 2014, 06:23:53 PM
I'm a cheapskate. The only ice I've got is in my cooler.
Take the ice cooler challenge dude.. Don't be a pussy forever.. :lol:

Desdinova

One would think that firemen, of all people, would be aware of power lines in the vacinity of their equipment.
"How long will we be
Waiting, for your modern messiah
To take away all the hatred
That darkens the light in your eye"
  -Disturbed, Liberate

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: Desdinova on September 22, 2014, 08:49:37 AM
One would think that firemen, of all people, would be aware of power lines in the vacinity of their equipment.
It's Kentucky. I personally know thousands of people from Kentucky and believe it or not it's one of their smarter moves..

JohnS

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: JohnS on September 22, 2014, 04:13:42 PM
Why don't these people just pray/ask to God to cure ALS?
Because like all good republicans god is a disease CREATOR... NOT a disease curer..

Moralnihilist

Science doesn't give a damn about religions, because "damns" are not measurable units and therefore have no place in research. As soon as it's possible to detect damns, we'll quantize perdition and number all the levels of hell. Until then, science doesn't care.

AllPurposeAtheist

Nothing like underestimating the weight of a bucket of water..