What Is Seen Cannot Be Unseen

Started by Solitary, September 20, 2014, 02:00:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solitary

There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Mermaid

Is there anything violent in this video?
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

AllPurposeAtheist

I'm not to sure which is worse..them or the Syrian regime of Assad.. Both are pretty shitty. But excesses will eventually topple them. The pious always fuck up in the end..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: Mermaid on September 20, 2014, 02:56:13 PM
Is there anything violent in this video?
ISIS violent? mercy no good woman! Well....if you swear allegiance and give up almost any ambition to be anything beyond an Islamic drone.. Then it's not exactly PG rated..

Mermaid

Forgive me, I just cannot see one of those beheading videos. I live in fear that I will accidentally come across one and I will not be able to unsee it.
Shit like that prevents me from functioning.

I think I'll play it safe. Sorry to interrupt.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

AllPurposeAtheist

They showed dead soldiers who had been beheaded and their heads displayed on fence posts and one guy who had been crucified.. Just think..when the pious in the US try to overtake everything in the name of Jesus they'll undoubtedly do the same..  It's coming in some state someday.. I hope I'm long gone and my grandkids are 500 year old corpses, but it'll happen someday..

Solitary

As a species we have came a long ways in 6,000+ years of recorded history, with the help of ignorance and religious nonsense, haven't we? What is really amazing is that the Middle East was the most enlighten region on earth at one time, until religion took over. It seems that the United States is heading in the same direction with the fact that we almost elected a Man that belongs to a religion that wants this country to be a Mormon theocracy.  :wall: Scary shit! Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Savior2006

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on September 20, 2014, 03:36:29 PM
They showed dead soldiers who had been beheaded and their heads displayed on fence posts and one guy who had been crucified.. Just think..when the pious in the US try to overtake everything in the name of Jesus they'll undoubtedly do the same..  It's coming in some state someday.. I hope I'm long gone and my grandkids are 500 year old corpses, but it'll happen someday..

Yeah, I'm with Mermaid. I'm not watching that shit. But yeah, religious fundamentalism, especially in Islam, is a threat to all of humanity.

I don't know if our Christian and Jewish fundys here can compare to that. 
It took science to do what people imagine God can do.
--ApostateLois

"The closer you are to God the further you are from the truth."
--St Giordano

Savior2006

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on September 20, 2014, 03:36:29 PM

Yeah, I'm with Mermaid. I'm not watching that shit. But yeah, religious fundamentalism, especially in Islam, is a threat to all of humanity.

It took science to do what people imagine God can do.
--ApostateLois

"The closer you are to God the further you are from the truth."
--St Giordano

Shiranu

Quote from: Savior2006 on September 20, 2014, 11:13:55 PM

Ours? Nah. But go to the third world and they are just as bad (at least Christians, Hindus, very few Buddhist, don't know about Jews outside maybe the ultra-orthodox warmongers in Israel). And if it isn't for a religious cause it's for political (one group supports the gov't, one doesn't... political oppression/occupation), economic (one tribe is poor and oppressed by another, drug trade)... and yet all of them claim to be devout followers of their faith and often wage war in the name of their religion to show that their cause is "right".

Just look at people like Cromwell who massacred the Irish by the tens of thousands because they were "heretics" (Roman Catholic rather than Anglican), the concept of manifest destiny which killed millions or, in more recent times, the mass ethnic cleansing of Muslim groups in Africa by radical Christian tribes.

There have been Christian genocidal groups like ISIL for hundreds of years, we just turn a blind eye to them because our cultures are still predominately Christian and we like to believe our shit doesn't stink as bad as the "other guys".
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur