News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Ken Ham and his Big Ass Ark!

Started by MagetheEntertainer, September 19, 2014, 11:34:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason Harvestdancer

You should know that when I see something described as an "adjective-ass noun", I mentally shift the hyphen one word to the right.

So Ken Ham has a Big Ass-Ark.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

stromboli

Personally I see it as nothing but cannon fodder for us. That he has made it such a high profile issue- PR to drum up interest, no doubt- also makes it a big target for critics. Everything from building the boat with modern equipment to using moderm materials and any cost over run or structural failure becomes another glaring example of the stupidity involved.

Makes me think somebody has sold him on the idea that a build that big is feasible. It amounts to about a 45 story skyscraper laid out horizontally. Good luck with that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on September 20, 2014, 07:29:59 PM
I think it was over 11 months, actually, before they got out of the ark. Could be mistaken.
All I've seen is the 150 figure. I could be wrong too, of course.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mr.Obvious

Aparantly Ten months, both of us were wrong :p

QuoteGenesis 8:4-5English Standard Version (ESV)

4 and in the seventh month, on the seventeenth day of the month, the ark came to rest on the mountains of Ararat.
5 And the waters continued to abate until the tenth month; in the tenth month, on the first day of the month, the tops of the mountains were seen.

At least we're not quite as wrong as those who believe this myth though.

source: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Genesis+8%3A4-5&version=ESV
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

stromboli

And here we go with the ark again....

We don't know where the ark was built, but the ruins of Babylon are in Iraq, so I'll choose that. The highest elevation in Iraq is about 2,000 feet above sea level. Most of the country is well under 1,000 feet, but I'll choose the highest elevation. If the ark was built above 2,000 feet, the elevation of Ararat at the summit is 14,000 feet. since the scripture says mountain tops were visible, we can conclude the ark was on the highest part of Ararat. So you are talking about a conservative minimum of 10-12,000 foot elevation of the ship, enduring rough sea states and remaining seaworthy and whole for some length of time, not only holding enough food and water for all the occupants.

Even if it was built in Turkey not far from the mountain, all the logistics are pretty prohibitive for the concept being feasible. So ol' Ken can build his ark and waste millions on what is an obvious fallacy if he wants. Hope he empties the pockets of  many thousands of christian donors, personally. Yes I'm cruel and no I don't feel sorry for gullible sheep.

The funny part is you could put up one billboard outside the front gate and blow the whole thing out of the water just by pointing out how fallacious it is. I'm pretty sure that is exactly what will happen.

Solitary

Just think how it must have been on the Ark when the serpents started talking, the goats trying to eat the burning bushes, and mules talking about the goat in Serpentize. What the fuck! How can any adult believe in such nonsense? Did all the plants suddenly (miraculously) come to life again to be eaten? There are children's fairy tales that are more believable. I'm still trying to think of one.  :wall:
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

stromboli

Quote from: MagetheEntertainer on September 20, 2014, 03:58:13 PM
The Ark is only a little bit bigger than the wyoming

So I'm pretty sure that a ship that size could be sea worthy if built with modern nautical knowledge, my whole beef with the thing is 1, it couldn't carry that many animals, 2 there is no way noah could have built it with his stone age knowledge regardless of how many slaves he had, and 3 how the fuck did noah go to the south pole to save the penguins?  (i'm not even going to go into all the ways that the flood itself is impossible.

Right. what I meant was that in order to make a boat that size sea worthy would require a lot of internal support, eliminating most of the room for animals and stores. The other ships mentioned were all built well into the Iron Age with metal support materials and fasteners. And they were also built by dedicated shipyards. The ark was built during the early to mid Bronze Age, and there is no mention of any metal used in construction. And Bronze is nowhere near as strong as iron for fasteners.

Munch

Quote from: stromboli on September 21, 2014, 06:10:45 PM
Right. what I meant was that in order to make a boat that size sea worthy would require a lot of internal support, eliminating most of the room for animals and stores. The other ships mentioned were all built well into the Iron Age with metal support materials and fasteners. And they were also built by dedicated shipyards. The ark was built during the early to mid Bronze Age, and there is no mention of any metal used in construction. And Bronze is nowhere near as strong as iron for fasteners.
ah ah ah, the bible says it was. Lets not try to give credence to ken hams delusions, I could just as well draw up work plans for how the gingerbread house was built and use icing sugar for cement.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin