News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

National Register Of Historic Places

Started by stromboli, September 14, 2014, 12:30:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_National_Register_of_Historic_Places_listings

Some in every state. I'm going to become a Wikipedia editor because I have specific knowledge in certain areas, having to do with Southwestern early cultures and Mormonism, Spanish exploration in Utah and other stuff. I'm providing this link because the next phase of my existence will involve exploring ghost towns and other ruins. I have, by the way, many photographs and much information concerning the Pueblo Native American culture. If you are interested I will post them.

There are no doubt places on the historic register near you. Broaden your horizons, go for a short drive and see them. In my case, I'll have a metal detector along, just for the hell of it.

Hydra009

I've visited Cape Hatteras once.  Almost got lost getting there but then I turned on my GPS.

USS North Carolina as well.  It was very metallic and afloat.  The cannons looked like they used to shoot stuff.

SGOS

I lived in Arizona for a year back in the early 70s.  Someone told me about some cliff dwelling remains in southern Utah, and I visited them.  I can't remember where exactly, but they were out on some dirt road, and you could drive to the base of the cliffs, and then climb up to the dwellings.  There were no signs, and no one around.  No one was looking after them.  I don't know if it was like National Monument Land, or private or what, but they looked pretty much undisturbed and I don't recall signs of vandalism.

SGOS

There were gun battlements along the Penobscot River in Maine, when I lived there.  It seemed strange thinking about some foreign power sneaking their WWII boats up the river to attack the US.  You could still walk around in the battlements.  They were like tunnels with periotic cannons poking out.

And the US owned or leased Rhode Island farmland along the edges of Narragansett Bay.  They had cows grazing and fortified fake barns and silos that actually housed hidden cannons guarding the bay.

stromboli

Quote from: SGOS on September 14, 2014, 02:38:55 PM
I lived in Arizona for a year back in the early 70s.  Someone told me about some cliff dwelling remains in southern Utah, and I visited them.  I can't remember where exactly, but they were out on some dirt road, and you could drive to the base of the cliffs, and then climb up to the dwellings.  There were no signs, and no one around.  No one was looking after them.  I don't know if it was like National Monument Land, or private or what, but they looked pretty much undisturbed and I don't recall signs of vandalism.

There are remnants of Pueblo and Fremont dwellings in numerous places. fortunately some have been protected and serve as monuments or even museums. The Edge Of The Cedars Museum in Blanding- of which I have many pictures- is a repository of hundreds of examples on Native American pottery. The museum itself is built on the site of a former Pueblo village. It is a place worth visiting if you ever go to the Grand Canyon or visit Monument Valley. It is just North of there.

If you drive much in that area- Bridges National Monument is also in the area- you'll see a lot of pictographs and other signs of Pueblo culture. The Hovenweep National Monument ( I have pictures) is in the process of restoration and unfortunately is well off the beaten path, but is actually, I think, in Colorado. One of the most interesting drives we made was from Hovenweep to Monte Verde National Park. Would be a great trip on a motorcycle.

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

stromboli