News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Laptops for AutoCAD?

Started by PopeyesPappy, February 23, 2013, 07:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PopeyesPappy

Can anybody recommend a good laptop for running AutoCAD?
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

NitzWalsh

That's a big list, AutoCAD can run on a wide range of systems. I can run it on my laptop and it's an older i3 system.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
~ Arthur C. Clarke

PopeyesPappy

I'm not looking for one it can run on. I'm looking for one that it will run well on. I know for instance that some video cards work better than others. I just don't know which ones.

I was looking at one of these.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6834152387

It's not for me. One of the guys I've got working on my program will be using it.

commonsense822

What program are you using?

NitzWalsh

That would likely kick AutoCAD's ass. I've seen AutoCAD and other similar programs run great on systems with far lower specs than that. Sure some video cards work better than others. The video on that machine may not be the best available but it's not likely a hindrance for running AutoCAD.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
~ Arthur C. Clarke

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: "commonsense822"What program are you using?

We will be buying a copy of AutoCAD 2013. Not the light version. We will extruding 3d blocks from 2d.

SvZurich

Consider looking for laptops with discrete Nvidia GPUs.  Maybe an NForce board's integrated video would do, as it is an Nvidia chip.
Kimberly (HSBUH) aka Baroness Sylvia endorses the Meadow Party's Bill N' Opus for the 2024 Presidential election! Or a Sanders/Warren ticket.

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: "SvZurich"Consider looking for laptops with discrete Nvidia GPUs.  Maybe an NForce board's integrated video would do, as it is an Nvidia chip.

The one I linked earlier has a NVIDIA Quadro K2000M. I guess that's good for what I want?

SvZurich

It is.  :)  Just avoid anything that doesn't mention graphics or generically says "integrated".  That usually means the cheap Intel chip.
Kimberly (HSBUH) aka Baroness Sylvia endorses the Meadow Party's Bill N' Opus for the 2024 Presidential election! Or a Sanders/Warren ticket.

PopeyesPappy

SvZurich

BlackL1ght

AutoCAD will run better, the better specs your computer has. More minor differences than for gaming though. You should be fine with the above suggestions.
Vi veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: "BlackL1ght"AutoCAD will run better, the better specs your computer has. More minor differences than for gaming though. You should be fine with the above suggestions.
I guess that should have been the original the question. What are the minor differences between a gaming laptop and one used primarily for AutoCAD?

SvZurich

Very little.  Both have good CPUs, RAM, bandwidth, video cards, etc.  Nvidia tends to tweak their CAD GPUs for that function and weaken their rendering rates for games while charging a premium, but years ago people figured out how to flash the roms to make the cheaper gaming GPUs perform exactly the same, and the CAD GPUs to have gaming performance.

_Xenu_

That reminds of the old days of the 486, where the only difference between an LS and DX was a switch on the motherboard.
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home