Why Is Trying To Find The Facts On Topics Looked Down At On This Forum?

Started by Solitary, September 07, 2014, 12:24:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solitary

SmOn Do some people here just want to believe fallacies without finding the truth just like the theists do? I belong to the Skeptic Society, and I will debate and seek out the facts until the cows come home to find out if I'm right or wrong. If anyone here has a problem with that---YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH. Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Solitary on September 07, 2014, 12:24:12 AM
SmOn Do some people here just want to believe fallacies without finding the truth just like the theists do? I belong to the Skeptic Society, and I will debate and seek out the facts until the cows come home to find out if I'm right or wrong. If anyone here has a problem with that---YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH. Solitary

Uhhhhhhhh...... what?

Jason78

Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Munch

Solitary, most of us here are atheists or agnostics, I believe looking for truth and facts in a world of bullshit is par for the course.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

GrinningYMIR

"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Jmpty

Do you have some evidence to back up your story? :)
???  ??

StupidWiz

... To teach superstitions as truths is the most terrible thing. The child mind accepts and believes them, and only through great pain and perhaps tragedy can they be in after years relieved of them. - Hypatia

the_antithesis

Hydra009

Well, you could always learn this stuff yourself.  Or failing that, start a thread about it and ask people there instead of facepalmingly insisting that all bees are the same species even after being corrected a couple of times (though, to your credit, you eventually got it correct), bizarrely claiming that the species definitions are "like reading the Bible", then after a couple people asked you to drop the matter, you insist that they "want to believe fallacies without finding the truth just like the theists do".

There's a difference between asking questions while legitimately trying to learn and attempting to debate a topic that one has an alarming inability to grasp while simultaneously demanding answers, ignoring them, and getting irate at the same time.

josephpalazzo

I believe that your frustrations came from another thread involving the definition of "species", in particular what is a species in regard to bees. I believe there was miscommunication and that was resolved with Hydra's last post (correct me if I'm wrong).

But this OP also raises a few issues. 1) What is the truth? We can easily fall into the conundrum of objective/subjective nature of truth. 2) Also from logic, we know that "true/false" values are attributed to statements about facts, and not to facts. 3) Your OP also raises the question of understanding. For instance, one can go through my bloq Einstein's Derivation of the Famous Equation, E=mc2 a dozen times and never understand how Einstein reached his conclusions. It's good to see that you have a sceptic mind, we need more people like you in the world, but a word of caution if you can allow me: do not let your scepticism lead you into solipsism or nihilism, pitfalls that are fruitless and counter-productive.

Hydra009

Quote from: josephpalazzo on September 07, 2014, 01:23:53 PMI believe that your frustrations came from another thread involving the definition of "species", in particular what is a species in regard to bees. I believe there was miscommunication and that was resolved with Hydra's last post (correct me if I'm wrong).
I thought it was as well.  Apparently, it wasn't nearly as resolved as I thought.

Hydra009