News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Your Basic National Park Trip

Started by stromboli, September 03, 2014, 09:29:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

Your basic Aquamarine mountain stream pool.

stromboli

Your basic geological feature while driving picture. This is day 9, the beginning of the Lewis and Clark National Forest.

Solitary

The Corona saw is the best, I use it to do the trimming in my yard. Fantastic trip! Thanks for sharing! Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Green Bottle

Excellent pics there Stromboli, great scenery, u live in a lovely part of the US..
God doesnt exist, but if he did id tell him to ''Fuck Off''

PopeyesPappy

Sven is going to be very unhappy with you over your choice of saws...

Also, no shovel?
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

stromboli

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on September 04, 2014, 07:10:21 PM

Also, no shovel?

The shovel is in the box. Never used it at a national park. Your basic milspec folding war surplus.

stromboli

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on September 04, 2014, 07:10:21 PM

Also, no shovel?

To answer your question, the Sven saw does cut slightly faster because it cuts in both directions, but you have to assemble it, which is cumbersome, it is longer when taken down and cost 1/3 to twice as much as the Corona. The Corona is also available through Lowe's and other outlets. It opens and is ready in a snap, it stows in a smaller space, weight is pretty close between the two saws, and the Sven won't fit in my camping boxes

PS; I also have a Sven.

stromboli

And just to expand on that a little bit, most parks and the national forests I have camped in don't allow cutting of wood in the park or forest. Nearly all of them have firewood in lengths available, which only require splitting. I split the wood with my Trailmaster bowie and a big oaken dowel/baton.. Works fine and is easier on my Sciatic nerve back problems because I can do it sitting. I most often carry an axe, but unless you've got a humongous log to split, the knife/ baton method works fine. I have a Cold Steel Kukri and another machete, but  they have never proved useful.

Also, I'm not a big fire builder. I don't like the people that need to build gargantuan fires, so I have never had to saw a log bigger than the Corona can handle. I build just enough fire to cook or just as often don't bother, because we can pack enough prepared ahead or cold food to last for a typical 10/12 day trip. If you think about it, building a fire and the logistics involved with cooking gear, grates, whatever, requires additional gear. I have a 2 burner Coleman stove that works very well, and an additional single burner unit for making coffee or whatnot. Less hassle and a lot faster. Ambience maybe not, but functional yes.

On the Glacier trip we ate only one meal not out of the car because we stayed at Shelby at a motel on Sunday night, so we could be out early and get to the park early. That night we ate at a diner nearby. Otherwise food we brought, either eaten cold or cooked on the stove.

stromboli

We went through Yellowstone on the way home. This is our third time there, but we've never been in that part. This is your flip screen out the passenger side backshot of a buffalo trolling the tourists. I think they actually do it deliberately just to create traffic jams.

stromboli

This image illustrates what the geysers do to the vegetation. The streams running out are boiling and then cool. There is nothing living in the water for miles, until it cools sufficiently.

stromboli

This is Southbound towards the South gate. This area was hit hard in the 1988 fire, when the park manager wisely let it burn. 11 years ago when I first came here, the trees were half this tall. They were so uniform it looked like a Christmas tree farm.

stromboli

First shot of the Tetons heading South. The Tetons and Yellowstone are virtually one park, though they are counted as two. One entry fee gets you into both. The two times previous we came we camped in Teton. The second time, a young man was attacked by a bear at night in his tent. The boy wasn't badly hurt. Unfortunately, they have to destroy the bear.

You can rent boat trips or canoes or the lakes are open for boating. They are immense and beautiful.

stromboli

Last shot of the Tetons. South from here is Jackson Hole. A tourist rat nest that you unfortunately have to drive through. If you are in to all that touristy/artsy fartsy/ whatever shit, have a ball. I drive though and get the hell out.

SGOS

I remember when that first ski lift was put in a Jackson Hole, it broke all records, at least in the US for highest vertical rise.  I think that was in the 60s.  I ran down there the next summer and rode it to the top of the mountain.  Jackson was still a quiet place back then.  I knew it wouldn't be for long.