News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Hindu's Hate me on Tumblr

Started by MagetheEntertainer, September 01, 2014, 05:25:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peacewithoutgod

Quote from: Baruch on August 25, 2015, 06:53:09 AM
Peacewithoutgod - As long as one is in the US, and it is legal not to belong to a Church, then one is still free.  Of course that could change.  And I don't live in fear of the Christians or Muslims ... but I understand your worry.
What about the children who grow up in fear that they may go to sleep and wake up dead in hell? Are they free?

At this point in history, religious liberty and most civil liberties are not more endangered in any Western country like they are in America - obviously the opposite was true, but if you don't live here now you have no idea just how scary it is.
There are two types of ideas: fact and non-fact. Ideas which are not falsifiable are non-fact, therefore please don't insist your fantasies of supernatural beings are in any way factual.

Doctrine = not to be questioned = not to be proven = not fact. When you declare your doctrine fact, you lie.

Baruch

Yes, the religions in the US have been roaring of late.  Yes, i live in the US.  But fear is a dialectic and a choice.  And freedom isn't as important to me as you, in the sense that I see it as mostly an illusion.  I am bound by many individual and social constraints ... freedom is not much of an option ... unless one is a criminal, but then criminals are bound by the logic of the streets.

Yes, telling scary stories to children is an abuse.  But so is having unnecessary austerity so that they don't have enough food to eat, or decent schools to attend.  The rulers are "leaning in" and doing their best to make the world into the hell that exists in their greedy hearts.  So it was in the days of Pharaoh, so it is still today.  And Moses, as liberator, is just a folk story.  But I can sympathize with the emotion behind it.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

peacewithoutgod

Quote from: Baruch on August 25, 2015, 01:58:35 PM
Yes, the religions in the US have been roaring of late.  Yes, i live in the US.  But fear is a dialectic and a choice.  And freedom isn't as important to me as you, in the sense that I see it as mostly an illusion.  I am bound by many individual and social constraints ... freedom is not much of an option ... unless one is a criminal, but then criminals are bound by the logic of the streets.

Yes, telling scary stories to children is an abuse.  But so is having unnecessary austerity so that they don't have enough food to eat, or decent schools to attend.  The rulers are "leaning in" and doing their best to make the world into the hell that exists in their greedy hearts.  So it was in the days of Pharaoh, so it is still today.  And Moses, as liberator, is just a folk story.  But I can sympathize with the emotion behind it.

Having decent public schools to attend in the US isn't necessarily about the funding, if you know what I mean!

EDITED FOR TECHNICAL ERROR WITH QUOTED TEXT
There are two types of ideas: fact and non-fact. Ideas which are not falsifiable are non-fact, therefore please don't insist your fantasies of supernatural beings are in any way factual.

Doctrine = not to be questioned = not to be proven = not fact. When you declare your doctrine fact, you lie.

Mike Cl

Like you, peacewithoutgod, I find people who use the phrase 'just a theory', to be telling me in advance that they are too ignorant to explain anything to me, or to understand anything they are saying.  If a 'scientist' were to use that phrase, I'd know that that person was not a scientist and not worthy of being listened to. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

CrucifyCindy

You know gravity is just a theory
“Rational thought is a failed experiment and should be phased out.”
 William S. Burroughs

حسن اÙ,,صباح - Ù,,يس هناك Ù...ا هو صحيح ØŒ ÙƒÙ,, شيء Ù...سÙ...وح به

Mike Cl

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Nihil-ist

Quote from: peacewithoutgod on August 25, 2015, 05:29:11 AM
The world isn't out to get ME, but xtian leaders in America, where I happen to live, have always been out to get other people through aggressive evangelism

P.S. If you happen to be a troll, which you have given more than adequate evidence to suspect that you are, YOU LOSE!

Yeah I could have been nicer I apologize. You're still looking at it from a win/lose view as if you're being attacked.
You want to free people but so do they. When they're preaching damnation they think they're saving "souls." It's quite the game. I just want to be able to discuss ideas openly with out any dogma. Immediately you jump to wedge without actually reading. Self organized critically had nothing to even do with that and you call it wedge too.
It's obvious evolution is a real thing. Happens constantly on all levels. I never had any disagreement with that. Why can't we have a normal conversation without it turning to war?
Fucking anti-smokers you know hitler was an anti-smoker? Godwin's Law

Everyone is the same but has had different life experiences. You have no choice over when and where you're born neither does anyone else.
That determines most of your life experiences. From your life experiences comes your expectations, world view, and personality.
You basically have no control from the start. No matter how much hate you have from someone try to recognize they didn't choose that life the same way you didn't yours.
You could be anybody you just happen to be you! A game from the start.

Quote"There is a simple inquiry for dealing with denial and projection. When something is bothering you and it brings you into conflict with some object - the most common is another person, although you can imagine you are at war with the society, the government, the church, the corporations, the weather the list is endless - you ask yourself if it is true that one of the hooks for these projections is actually responsible for your bad feelings.

Of course your ego is going to say that it is. The ego has a vested interest in it's projections. Projections protect it and keep it in business. They bolster it's self-esteem, it's sense of rightness. It needs to think that it is innocent. Actually it is innocent insofar as it is actually self. Unfortunately, Maya(illusion) has seen to it that it does not know the truth of it's nature and it thinks it is a person because it is conditioned by society; nothing projects like a group of individuals. Societies have ready-made enemies at their fingertips. Hitler had the Jews, Stalin the petty bourgeois capitalists, the Christians Satan, whites the blacks, husbands wives and wives husbands.
We need someone to blame. I cannon be the problem. But the truth is: I am the problem. There is no problem apart from me.

This method takes the ego into account and asks "Is it really true that..."
Sometimes it is true that the world is out to get you. So you need to look at the facts closely and see if it is reasonable to assume that the problem lies elsewhere. Not all problems are caused by the world. In fact, very few problems are centered on objects. Even if an object is causing the problem, is it really a problem apart from the thought that it is a problem? If it isn't, then all problems ultimately belong to me.

In the third stage of this inquiry you go a bit deeper. You inquire into the reason you have the problem. You say "who would I be without this belief?"
This is the hard part because this is where you discover that the problem is essential to your identity. The answers always is "I would be happy"
"At some point in human history there were no gods."
"Deus est mortuus logica obtinet"

Baruch

Falling is real, that is the empiricism.  Gravity as per Newton or Einstein, that is just a theory (but more than a hypothesis).  Unless of course you are in a hot air balloon ... but that exception can be assimilated into the general notion of falling.  And even hypotheses should only be ascribed to actual scientists ... for the common public, it is just BS.  I don't like the other end ... calling some result of science a law.  Deism BS.  Science has nothing to do with the court system or the legislature.  But it did once, when Congress decided on their own definitions of Volt, Ampere and Ohm ... such that Ohm's Law (oops) was invalid.  Congress was trying to do what the French government did (with metric) ... but failed badly on ignorance.  Ohm's theory however is good enough to get you electrocuted.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Solitary

Let's not forget people claiming phi is three and trying to make it law because religious text says so. The square root of two drove the Greeks literally crazy.
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

peacewithoutgod

Quote from: Solitary on August 28, 2015, 10:40:55 PM
Let's not forget people claiming phi is three and trying to make it law because religious text says so. The square root of two drove the Greeks literally crazy.
Was this before or after Pythagoras got his theorem to work on his triangles?

peacewithoutgod

Quote from: Baruch on August 26, 2015, 07:11:23 AM
Falling is real, that is the empiricism.  Gravity as per Newton or Einstein, that is just a theory (but more than a hypothesis).  Unless of course you are in a hot air balloon ... but that exception can be assimilated into the general notion of falling.  And even hypotheses should only be ascribed to actual scientists ... for the common public, it is just BS.  I don't like the other end ... calling some result of science a law.  Deism BS.  Science has nothing to do with the court system or the legislature.  But it did once, when Congress decided on their own definitions of Volt, Ampere and Ohm ... such that Ohm's Law (oops) was invalid.  Congress was trying to do what the French government did (with metric) ... but failed badly on ignorance.  Ohm's theory however is good enough to get you electrocuted.

"Deism BS" - what do you mean by that? If you believe there's probably a god somewhere who made this universe, you don't need to have to be gnostic enough to have a name for it.

Baruch

Deism is about an absentee creator god ... but this is imagined in the first chapter of Genesis ;-)  Deism is theism comfortable enough for 18th century intellectuals.

The Pythagorean brotherhood, in legend, killed their brother, Hippias, because he proved that the square root of two is irrational.  That is why those numbers are still called irrational.  For a Greek mathematician (they were mostly employed in casting horoscopes, just like Kepler) ... numbers were the non-zero counting numbers (sacred to Pythagoreans) or the pure ratios of those numbers.  Of course, one can approximate an irrational number with a rational number for most practical purposes anyway.  Pi is a very irrational number, being of the sub-class ... transcendental.  Only G-d knows the final digit of Pi ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

peacewithoutgod

Quote from: Baruch on August 29, 2015, 09:38:59 AM
Deism is about an absentee creator god ... but this is imagined in the first chapter of Genesis ;-)  Deism is theism comfortable enough for 18th century intellectuals.
On deism you probably said something similar before, but again only you seem to understand this as proof that deism makes no better sense than theism, or that it really is the coward's way out of not being counted as a theist (if I understand you correctly on that). While I would more contend that deism is the coward's way of avoiding being counted as an atheist, I cannot and would not discount it as a logically unsound position - all deities are unfalsifiable, as is the notion that an unknown of supernatural powers is responsible in some ways for our existence, therefore deism is equally possible against any more concisely-declared deity of the theist. On your contentions regarding deism, I am certain that you have equated deism with theism, and I think this requires better clarification if it is to be accepted as true.

On what Genesis has to say, you do realize that most of us here are atheists, and aren't much impressed with that book in particular?

The Pythagorean brotherhood, in legend, killed their brother, Hippias, because he proved that the square root of two is irrational.  That is why those numbers are still called irrational.  For a Greek mathematician (they were mostly employed in casting horoscopes, just like Kepler) ... numbers were the non-zero counting numbers (sacred to Pythagoreans) or the pure ratios of those numbers.  Of course, one can approximate an irrational number with a rational number for most practical purposes anyway.  Pi is a very irrational number, being of the sub-class ... transcendental.  Only G-d knows the final digit of Pi ;-)
Solitary noted earlier that the Greeks respected only whole numbers. I found this to be an interesting thought, in that the use of Pi - 0.14, when solving right triangles with the Pythagorean Theorem (sure you can round off Pi, but the positions for a fraction which are closest to the decimal point matter the most, which is why I was taught to keep at least the first two decimal places) would generate errors significant enough to bring down temple buildings when so applied - wudd'n ya tink?

Solitary

Quote from: Aupmanyav on November 24, 2014, 01:27:32 AM
How come?
If you have to ask, then you don't understand, and no explanation could make you understand why. One imaginary friend is delusional, but more than one is----never mind, you are correct, the universe is full of gods, goddesses and God, even if they don't present themselves accept in dreams they are real and should be worshipped.  Now go feed rats with bowls of milk, and never step on an ant, and I will be your friend because I love animals. I like nice people like you, that feel the presents of the universal cosmic force we are all connected to spiritually. To bad more people don't realize it. I'm being serious! I understand your beliefs very well.

There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

peacewithoutgod

Ok, maybe now we're at least on the same page. Problem is that Genesis isn't about an absentee creator god, don't know where you get that other than it not being named, and that it was written by Hebrews that is to be expected. Genesis doesn't describe that god as absentee at all, nor particularly nondescript regarding its wishes for its said creation. It interacted with Adam in every way which a god would be expected to, and it came around just in time to catch him munching that forbidden fruit with Eve.

No, Genesis does not look to be any case for deism. That deity can be presumed to be old, bad-tempered Yahweh. If you believed in that one in the 17th Century, then you were a theist, not a deist. So are you, Baruch, admit it!

Why would it be so bad for you to admit your deism? Does it scare you that much to believe you're that much closer to being like me?  :evil: