News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Yes... well... no... fine!

Started by Noodle, February 23, 2013, 02:36:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noodle

It seems this is the only forum I can post a new thread on, until I have posted at least 10 posts on other threads. I hope I'm not being out of order by posting something other than an introduction. If so, apologies to the Mods. and all round.

Has anyone else seen this?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 7By_sQbOHk

I guess its only what can be expected from a science fiction writer.

What struck me about this video was when interviewee, Jason Beghe, said: '... and I asked myself, did I really believe all this...?'
Q. '...and did you?
A. '...No, but I accepted it...'

I'm wondering how many Theists are sitting in the same position, where in their 'heart-of-hearts' they don't really believe, but only accept?

I can totally relate.
[hrline][/hrline]

I believe in Dog

NitzWalsh

I think Scientology might be one of the more unique religious movements out there. Not because of what the church teaches though. I think it's unique because of the origins of it. We all know who created Scientology and can read things in his own writing, hear his voice, etc. We know he was a science fiction writer. There is a quote that is often attributed to him, "Y'know, we're all wasting our time writing this hack science fiction! You wanta make real money, you gotta start a religion!" I don't know if he actually said that, but if he did he went through with it.

He wasn't a particularly good author. He is built up by the church as a highly educated adventurer and military hero. The actual records of his accomplishments aren't even close to what the church says. He flunked out of college and lied about his military career. Point being, we know more about him than most originators of religious systems and people still get caught up in it. So to me it's not surprising that people accept Christianity, Judaism, Islam, and other religious claims. I'm sure there are plenty that just accept it because that's what they've been told.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
~ Arthur C. Clarke

aitm

but noods, ( yer now officially nicknamed noods) 10 posts ain't THAT hard.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Sleeper

Scientology is bollocks? Wow. I've got some real soul-searching to do.

And welcome, even though this isn't an intro.
Because LaPlace still holds sway.

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "Sleeper"Scientology is bollocks? Wow. I've got some real soul-searching to do.

And welcome, even though this isn't an intro.

I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

wolf39us

At least you guys don't live in Clearwater :-p

_Xenu_

Quote from: "wolf39us"At least you guys don't live in Clearwater :-p
I want to live in Clearwater. The entertainment would be nearly endless.
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

commonsense822

I lived in the south for a little when I went to college.  Got slapped in the face on campus by some christian dude handing out pamphlets.

I'd rather move to Oregon, or at least stay in the North East, less crazy.

Aupmanyav

Quote from: "NitzWalsh"I'm sure there are plenty that just accept it because that's what they've been told.
Some accept the religious belief of others for the moment since the God-less universe could be even worse.
"Brahma Satyam Jagan-mithya" (Brahman is the truth, the observed is an illusion)
"Sarve Khalu Idam Brahma" (All this here is Brahman)

AllPurposeAtheist

I'm starting Toothfarianism..the ONLY deity to pay COLD, HARD CASH under your pillow..it only cost a tooth so fuck that tooth for a tooth bullshit.. Tooth for a nickel!
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Thumpalumpacus

I've got a bud online who in his previous life did some semi-illicit, ahem, courier work, who had occasion to visit the HQ in Clearwater with guns and all.
<insert witty aphorism here>

Alaric I

I can easily relate to that.  I grew up in a christian home and was forced to attend church twice a week (well three if you count that I ran media for the church and had to sit through two services that were exactly the same).  I never really believed the story, but accepted it as it was all I ever knew.  I can see this happening with the kids in that church, but how dumb do you have to be to choose to believe that we are here thanks to aliens?

stromboli

From wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L._Ron_Hubbard
QuoteThe Church of Scientology describes Hubbard in hagiographic terms,[6] and he portrayed himself as a pioneering explorer, world traveler, and nuclear physicist with expertise in a wide range of disciplines, including photography, art, poetry, and philosophy. His critics have characterized him as a liar, a charlatan, and mentally unstable. Though many of his autobiographical statements have been proven to be fictitious,[7] the Church rejects any suggestion that its account of Hubbard's life is not historical fact.[8][9]
Similarities to Joseph Smith and other charlatans abound. Apparently it takes a certain personality to start a religion.

Supposedly he was relieved of command twice during the war for incompetence. Start a religion? Fuck yeah!

_Xenu_

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"I've got a bud online who in his previous life did some semi-illicit, ahem, courier work, who had occasion to visit the HQ in Clearwater with guns and all.
If you've got pictures...
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

Brian37

Welcome. Be sure to barbecue kittens, record the NFL without their permission and rip the tag off your mattress.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37