Fundie Family Disowns, Abuses Gay Student Son

Started by stromboli, August 29, 2014, 09:26:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lao Tou

That is seriously fucked up. Thankfully, the kid has a way out (lots of strangers stepped up tp help him). Even in 2014, the way things are now, who the hell would choose to be gay considering how much backlash and discrimination you will still face? This cannot be a choice, or not purely a choice. There may be posers like Madonna who pretend for a moment to be "cool", but the people I know who are gay, even in California where they are well protected, still have to look over their shoulders.

I grew up in a household like that kid's, where the "word of god" was all you needed. It is a good thing I am hard-wired to be straight. But even that has a lot of landmines. Oh, you like girls? Think about them? Get horny? You're going to hell for the "sin that cannot be forgiven."

We need to evolve a bit more.
Recovering Baptist

"My own view is that this planet is used as a penal colony, lunatic asylum and dumping ground by a superior civilization, to get rid of the undesirable and unfit. I can\'t prove it, but you can\'t disprove it either."
Christopher Hitchens, in "God is Not Great"

stromboli

_Xenu_

I could watch that if someone would adjust the video to be right side up and tweak the volume.
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

StupidWiz

This will be the toughest time of his life, he could become suicidal cause of this. I hope he'll find a new home, and new family who not only tolerate him but fully accept and celebrate him. As a child of a narcissistic parent, this only affirms my belief that family is not always blood, family is not always the one who gave birth to you. We ourselves define who our families are. If our so called family won't accept us for what we are, then we need to let them go and seek new family.

Btw, FWIW, I heard the internet has donated about 50 grand for him. I hope he'll use the money wisely.
... To teach superstitions as truths is the most terrible thing. The child mind accepts and believes them, and only through great pain and perhaps tragedy can they be in after years relieved of them. - Hypatia

Munch

Your right StupidWiz, family is not always blood. I've made the argument often, we can't choose our relatives, but we can choose family. My boyfriend hated his father, who never gave him anything and was happy to move countries to be away from his influence, despite having to leave his mother behind.

I hope this poor guy had friends who will be there for him :(
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Green Bottle

Quote from: _Xenu_ on August 29, 2014, 11:28:03 PM
I could watch that if someone would adjust the video to be right side up and tweak the volume.

I agree the volume could've been better, but i think mibbe the reason the camera is pointed down is he didnt want his god fearing homophobic family to know he was recording them.
The language used against him by his own family is fucking disgraceful and seems like he was assaulted as well, he probably realised what their reaction would be and feared even worse if they knew about the camera.
I think the further away from them he gets the better..
God doesnt exist, but if he did id tell him to ''Fuck Off''

Solitary

When love of Jesus trumps love of your son, it is insane, period! And when the word of God trumps science, it is as dumb as you can get. What a disgrace to treat your own son with contempt because of a belief of any kind that could be, or is bull shit. I'm so glad so many people supported this kid, and hope he finds a good place to live in peace. Amen! Thanks again Strom! You're on a roll. Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Munch

I just hope he can carry on his studies, get a degree, backed by his friends, and get a good job, all without his fucked up family. The best irony would be for him to become rich and successful.

stromboli

It has gone viral. This is from Huffpost, maybe a better video.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/28/family-son-coming-out-gay-video_n_5731462.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

This definitely needs to be seen by as many people as possible.

PickelledEggs

I saw this just now.... I don't even know what to say.... :(

Munch

Quote from: PickelledEggs on August 30, 2014, 04:45:50 PM
I saw this just now.... I don't even know what to say.... :(

I showed it to my mum, she raged at what a bitch the mother was.

At least we know he got a happy ending, since he can now have a life of his own and not be bound to those fuckers.

Aroura33

I think this is a cloud with a silver lining. As hard as that was to listen to, it was equally eating to hear how much support he got afterwards. It also sounds like he has a very supportive boyfriend and other friends, so I sincerely hope he comes out all the better for hacking off that tumor that was his "family".
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP"
Leonard Nimoy

doorknob

I hate this kind of religious abuse. No one deserves it. I'm glad people put together a fund for him to live off of.

stromboli

Quote from: doorknob on August 30, 2014, 05:35:14 PM
I hate this kind of religious abuse. No one deserves it. I'm glad people put together a fund for him to live off of.

And my hope is, now that Huffpost and hopefully other sites are airing this, that people will see just how deep the level of hate can be amongst the fundies.