U.S.A. and gun control, is there really a serious problem?

Started by Rob4you, August 30, 2014, 11:53:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: Johan on September 12, 2014, 10:01:55 PM
Oh for fucks sake. Every driver is a responsible driver until they're not. Every parent is a responsible parent until they're not. Every teacher is a responsible teacher until they're not.  Next.
Well there you are then.. Everyone is a responsible commenter on AF until they're not.  Next..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Cocoa Beware

From here (Canada) it sure looks like you have a serious problem.

I remember a few years ago when a family member from Tennessee was visiting here and she was practically amazed when she discovered almost nobody carried a gun here. It was as if it was mandatory to her, like a wallet or something.

There's the obvious notion you need to carry a gun because everyone else does, but in America there's more to it then that; its as if some people need them or... hysteria will ensue.

I speak of course of the kind of paranoia that pervades when a notorious mass shooting occurs, causing firearm sales to temporarily skyrocket out of fear that the weapon involved will no longer be made available. Apparently Its not enough to just have a gun, but every single available feature and accessory is somehow desperately needed.

And who is coming up with these bizarre pro-gun arguments? Is the gun industry using its vast resources to circulate insane nonsense?

For example comparing guns to cars? I suppose more people in America die from car accidents then from gunfire, but cant you at least spare a moment to think this one out? The argument dies instantly when you consider the function and purpose of both.

Mister Agenda

Quote from: Johan on September 02, 2014, 07:11:37 PM
Studies also show you are significantly more likely to be in a plane crash if you learn to fly airplanes. Didn't stop me from learning to fly nor did it stop me from flying for a living. And yet, here I am still kicking. Must be a miracle that I survived I guess because according to the statistics, I should have been dead long ago. Statistics don't always tell the whole story nor do they always tell the true story.

The true story might be that people who are in real danger of being shot are more likely to acquire their own gun for protection. Do the statistics include suicide, the number one gun death situation in US rural areas? You can probably not worry about that one if you're not suicidal...but it's something to take into account if you have, oh say, a teenager.
Atheists are not anti-Christian. They are anti-stupid.--WitchSabrina

Johan

Quote from: Cocoa Beware on September 16, 2014, 09:07:47 AM
And who is coming up with these bizarre pro-gun arguments? Is the gun industry using its vast resources to circulate insane nonsense?

For example comparing guns to cars? I suppose more people in America die from car accidents then from gunfire, but cant you at least spare a moment to think this one out? The argument dies instantly when you consider the function and purpose of both.
What is the function and purpose of alcohol?
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Hydra009

Plot twist:  Cocoa is a teetotaler.  :P
(could be the case, you never know)

Johan

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Hydra009

So...someone like that wouldn't be using it as a beverage.

Johan

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 16, 2014, 09:25:12 PM
So...someone like that wouldn't be using it as a beverage.
It doesn't change the fact that thousands of deaths each year can be directly attributed to alcohol. And yet no one is calling to outlaw alcohol. Therefore it doesn't change the fact that the function and purpose of a car is irrelevant to the previously made point that everyone is a good driver until they're not yada yada yada.

Hydra009

Quote from: Johan on September 16, 2014, 09:38:10 PMIt doesn't change the fact that thousands of deaths each year can be directly attributed to alcohol. And yet no one is calling to outlaw alcohol.
This is simply a repackaging of your earlier argument comparing guns to cars.

Johan

No. Its showing that my earlier argument is valid. BTW my earlier argument was not comparing guns to cars. Rather it was showing that the notion that 'every gun owner is a good gun owner until they're not (therefore they need to be stopped)' is a pointless bullshit argument. I used gun owners vs drivers to do it but I could just as easily use gun owners to drinkers or gun owners to smokers or gun owners to gamblers. I also used parents and one other example which escapes me now and which I'm too lazy to go look up.

The point is in every case, people get hurt inadvertently. In every case, there are regulations in place which is as it should be and nearly everyone is perfectly happy with those regulations. Except guns.

I have no idea where you live but I can almost guarantee you that tonight within 200 miles of where you are, a drunk is going to get behind the wheel of a car and hurt or kill someone. It won't even make the morning news unless there's also a fire involved AND good video of it. Drunks? We could give a fuck. Bad drivers? Who cares. But guns? Oh my god you gun owners are mad and must be stopped because you can just never be sure when one of them will snap. Sorry, its a lame argument that couldn't hold water if it had a bucket.

And again, I say that as a gun owner who believes guns should be more difficult to get and more tightly regulated. But if you're going to bring an argument, bring a valid one. And if you can't be bothered to bring a valid argument, expect to have its lack of validity pointed out.

Hydra009

Quote from: Johan on September 16, 2014, 11:28:14 PMAnd again, I say that as a gun owner who believes guns should be more difficult to get and more tightly regulated.
This is precisely my stance, as well.

Cocoa Beware

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 16, 2014, 09:15:31 PM
Plot twist:  Cocoa is a teetotaler.  :P
(could be the case, you never know)

Well kind of... I prefer smoking weed. You still get a kind of hangover, but its not near as uncomfortable.

Anyways, it turns out that we are all in agreement, because I also think limitations on gun ownership is probably the most sensible course of action.

The industry seems more focused on opposing this rather then an all out ban, since the providing of extraneous gun features and accessories has proven to be an absolute money making machine.

I feel an all out sudden ban is foolish, dangerous and (especially) unrealistic; I should have been more clear on that, my bad.

SGOS

Quote from: Cocoa Beware link=topic=6050.msg1041218#msg1041218bad.
date=1410957089

Well kind of... I prefer smoking weed. You still get a kind of hangover, but its not near as uncomfortable.
I remember back in the 70's, probably while high on pot, a friend of mine came up with this half serious observation.  He said that alcohol was better for you than pot, because the hangover from alcohol would remind you to exercise moderation.

And so it is with guns.  Moderation is fine, but when you realize you just shot and killed someone, it would remind you to exercise more moderation in the future with your guns.

OK, I don't know why I made that comparison.  I think my blood sugar might be too low.