Imprisoned 1000 days without a trial

Started by Valigarmander, February 23, 2013, 12:26:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alaric I

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"Manning is corporate America's (and other nations) sacrificial lamb as the 'traitor' who must be imprisoned as a 'spy' forever or until the political class decides otherwise.

Although I agree he is most definitely a sacraficial lamb, I'm not sure what the proper punishment should be.  He did leak some info that could be damaging to the soldiers, but at the same time the enemy lacked the equipment to really have any use of this info.

QuoteIt's clear the US military is no longer accountable to the public

They never were, they are accountable to the President, the President in turn is accountable to the public.

QuoteOf course not all politicians, members of military nor police feel the same, but as long as they work for them they are to a degeee guilty of complicity.

I disagree.  That would allege knowledge of such acts, which few would have this knowledge.

commonsense822

Quote from: "Alaric I"
Quote from: "commonsense822"
Quote from: "Alaric I"This is why he is both.  He did the right thing in the wrong way.  I think a lot of people in Congress would ahve done something about it, it would at least get media attention without exposing this stuff in a way it should not have been done.

I'm sorry but I think you are misguided here.

Oh the irony.

Indeed....

zacherystaylor

When Obama first came into office he was asked if he would support a truth commission. He said no and he wouldn't prosecute those that were involved with torture either. Now we know that he will support imprisonment of those that expose crimes that never should have been covered up. I haven't seen all the information but what I saw doesn't involve endangering allies; instead it involves exposing crimes. We already know the Iraq war was based on lies and we don't prosecute the mass murders who got us into that.

This is a crock.

The truth according the commercial media and the government is a selective amount of propaganda. the real truth seems to be available in the library and the web if you sort through the crap.

truthiness

After Bradley Manning's statement, I am of the firm belief that he acted in the best interest of the American public, to include his fellow soldiers, and to innocent humans caught in war-torn areas that are constantly facing the ever-looming threat of becoming collateral damage. A disgusting term, it dehumanizes individuals, turning them into numbers instead of living, breathing people. The American government has become an empire, hell-bent on controlling others through multiple means, worst of all being direct force.  The government no longer represents the people, it no longer has the interest of the people in mind.  It is repulsive to think of how many atrocities have committed against people throughout the world, killing to spread "peace and democracy" when we don't even practice it as a nation.

Bradley Manning's statement during pretrial:

//http://www.alexaobrien.com/secondsight/wikileaks/bradley_manning/pfc_bradley_e_manning_providence_hearing_statement.html#update

Minimalist

What he did is nothing compared to what they have done to him.
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Fidel_Castronaut

Quote from: "Minimalist"What he did is nothing compared to what they have done to him.

Agreed. I can't believe someone is going probably get life for being a whistle blower.

There needs to be much more protection of whistle blowers worldwide. There have been some shocking scandals here in the UK with people (for example) shining a light on terrible malpractices within the NHS and other organisations only to be effectively cast out and bullied by their employers.
lol, marquee. HTML ROOLZ!

Special B

The U.S. govt. is breaking their own laws to hold him in prison without a trial. That should give you a hint which side is the "traitor".

Manning exposed corruption and lies to the benefit of all Americans. The traitors are the ones holding him in prison for exposing their treachery.

In this day of extreme political corruption, one would have to be a special kind of gullible sheep to believe Manning is a traitor.

We need more people like Manning. Way more.

No one was arrested over the Halliburton scandal; they got away with actual treason.
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan

Shiranu

QuoteThe U.S. govt. is breaking their own laws to hold him in prison without a trial. That should give you a hint which side is the "traitor".

Not anymore, they aren't. It is 100% legal by American law to hold citizens without charge or trial indefinitely.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Special B

Quote from: "Shiranu"
QuoteThe U.S. govt. is breaking their own laws to hold him in prison without a trial. That should give you a hint which side is the "traitor".

Not anymore, they aren't. It is 100% legal by American law to hold citizens without charge or trial indefinitely.

The Constitution says otherwise.

Shiranu

Quote from: "Special B"
Quote from: "Shiranu"

The constitution says otherwise.

And the people who enforce it and interpret say it IS legal, and that's ultimately what matters.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Special B

Quote from: "Shiranu"And the people who enforce it and interpret say it IS legal, and that's ultimately what matters.

It is what matters but not what is actually legal.

Of course the actual law doesn't help Manning. The government is above the law. That doesn't mean they aren't breaking it.

gussy

The 21st Century's John Brown.  

QuoteThey hung him for a traitor, they themselves the traitor crew

If the government is violating laws and treaties then someone needs to speak up.  1000 days in jail for pointing that out while the people that violated the law walk free.

Jason78

Quote from: "Alaric I"First off, he's a traitor.

Oh look!  It's the other way of spelling patriot.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato