Arizona nine-year old kills instructor in Uzi gun lesson accident

Started by Youssuf Ramadan, August 27, 2014, 05:37:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solitary

Quote from: Brian37 on August 27, 2014, 12:15:56 PM
Why do adults like target shooting? Same reason they like steep down hill skiing. Same reason they like skydiving. Same reason morons like Evil Kanievil(sp) stupidly like jumping buses on a motorcycle.

The difference with guns is that with that risk taking there is fare more death because of ego and the no rules climate the industry sets up.
I don't indulge in shooting targets, but I have skydived and did Alpine skiing. I will not ride a motorcycle on any highway, just off road. 
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Solitary

I think the girl should have been trained on a bazooka or flamethrower.  :wall: Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

aitm

Quote from: Brian37 on August 27, 2014, 12:15:56 PM
Why do adults like target shooting? Same reason they like steep down hill skiing. Same reason they like skydiving. Same reason morons like Evil Kanievil(sp) stupidly like jumping buses on a motorcycle.

The difference with guns is that with that risk taking there is fare more death because of ego and the no rules climate the industry sets up.
well, lets be honest here.  I get what you're trying to convey, but I don't agree. Individually, I would think that jumping out of a plane or downhill skiing or cliff diving or even scuba diving is more inherently dangerous than target shooting. The kid wasn't actually "target shooting" the kid is a kid who was simply pointing a gun and pulling the trigger. There is indeed a difference. This should not be associated with "target shooting". its was a stupid idea that has now become a Darwin nominee... I am sure the dead's parents and family are just as happy about that. I really have no problem with giving a kid a gun to shoot, but I, unlike many, would hold the gun for them because...well.... I'm not completely stupid or confident in a kids ability to handle a weapon until I actually see that they can.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

stromboli

Shiranu

I like targeting shooting,  guess I am an idiot for enjoying something you don't...

Far more likely to injure someone in a car than to shoot them,  considering I never shoot when anyone is around.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure that people are more against the whole Bullets and Burgers fully automatic adventure for the whole family than against responsible target shooting.

Youssuf Ramadan

Yes indeed, this thread is about kids being able to shoot an uzi, not a responsible adult at a target range.  Big difference.

Munch

In a way this story is poetic. The shooting range owner didn't question for a moment the moral implication of letting a child handle a weapon used for killing.. and he got killed by said child.
You can actually see southpark making a sketch from this and they wouldn't even need to embellish anything.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Jmpty

I hope the kids parents feel like shit for the rest of their lives. But they won't. The little girl will, though. As a parent myself, I can't fathom the thought evem crossing my mind to let one of my kids shoot an automatic weapon. What the fuck for?
???  ??

DunkleSeele

Quote from: Jmpty on August 29, 2014, 09:28:30 AM
I hope the kids parents feel like shit for the rest of their lives. But they won't. The little girl will, though. As a parent myself, I can't fathom the thought evem crossing my mind to let one of my kids shoot an automatic weapon. What the fuck for?
Exactly, whoever is so dumb to let their 9yo daughter get anywhere near an automatic weapon will probably just write this off as "Oh well, shit happens." Stupidity at its highest level.

LoriPinkAngel

Am I the only one who is wondering how/why the weapon got switched to automatic?  Wouldn't avoiding that until you can handle single shots be part of lesson #1?

stromboli

Quote from: LoriPinkAngel on August 29, 2014, 11:37:01 AM
Am I the only one who is wondering how/why the weapon got switched to automatic?  Wouldn't avoiding that until you can handle single shots be part of lesson #1?

But where's the fun in that?  :biggrin:

billhilly

This was beyond stupid.  Teaching a kid to shoot a .22 long gun is one thing.  A nine year old girls shouldn't have even been learning to shoot a handgun in 9mm, much less an submachine gun (SMG).  Full auto is hard for full grown men to control.  That's why proper technique is to shoot short, controlled bursts.  They take off on you similar to a fire hose.  The barrel tends to "walk" to the left (in the direction of the instructor in this case).  What happens is you pull the trigger on full auto and the SMG starts to walk on you.  The natural reaction is to grip tighter which of course pulls the trigger so you end up helplessly spraying bullets till your mag runs out.

Looks from the video like she lost control as soon as she went full auto and the barrel walked up and to the left right into the instructor's face.  Don't let nine year old girls play with SMG's.  If you do, don't let them go full auto,  if you must do that, don't give them a full,32 round magazine.  This was so stupid and so predictable on so many levels.

Atheon

We don't let people drive until they're 16, smoke until they're 18, or drink until they're 21. But somehow it's legal to let a 9-year-old fire an Uzi.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Hydra009

Quote from: Atheon on August 29, 2014, 01:24:17 PMWe don't let people drive until they're 16, smoke until they're 18, or drink until they're 21. But somehow it's legal to let a 9-year-old fire an Uzi.