Author Topic: TV Series Thread  (Read 28522 times)

Offline Cavebear

Re: TV Series Thread
« Reply #315 on: January 27, 2018, 02:12:42 PM »
I rewatched some DS9.  It just now struck me how 90% of that show was characters having conversations.  And for the most part, they were interesting conversations.  There's a great mix of characters, with a variety of different backgrounds and perspectives.  It felt cosmopolitan in a way that no Trek has before or since.

Well, basically, it was a space city, not just a ship.  I liked Odo.  I didn't like Sisko much, especially after they made him sort of deistic.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Offline Baruch

« Reply #316 on: January 27, 2018, 04:50:16 PM »
Well, basically, it was a space city, not just a ship.  I liked Odo.  I didn't like Sisko much, especially after they made him sort of deistic.

I liked Garak vs Bashir.  Sisko was a prequel to the Obama deity.  Odo?  You just wish you could sleep in a bucket ;-)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 04:52:23 PM by Baruch »
שלום

Offline SGOS

« Reply #317 on: January 28, 2018, 11:28:13 AM »
I just finished watching the third year of Better Call Saul, since year 3 just came out on video.  That took three days.  I tried to space the episodes out to savor them, but it's far too interesting for me to do that.  Year 1 and 2 were maybe a bit slow, but still highly interesting, but as often happens the crew is finding it's stride, and 3 really shows that.  I'm not sure if I over evaluate Better Call Saul because of my love affair with Breaking Bad, but I suppose I don't really care why I like it.  I'm now into watching the year over again to savor it some more.  I hate waiting a whole year for he disks, but then waiting for the next episode when there are only 10 in a season would drive me nuts too.

Online Hydra009

« Reply #318 on: January 28, 2018, 01:17:20 PM »
I liked Odo.  I didn't like Sisko much, especially after they made him sort of deistic.
I'm most fond of the aliens in that series; Garak, Quark, Odo, Kira, and Gul Dukat.  They have such fascinating backstories and perspectives that conflict to varying degrees with Starfleet ideals.

The prophet stuff rubbed me the wrong way, but I grew to like Sisko.  The scenes were he plays hardball are a real treat.

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #319 on: February 02, 2018, 02:29:45 AM »
I'm most fond of the aliens in that series; Garak, Quark, Odo, Kira, and Gul Dukat.  They have such fascinating backstories and perspectives that conflict to varying degrees with Starfleet ideals.

The prophet stuff rubbed me the wrong way, but I grew to like Sisko.  The scenes were he plays hardball are a real treat.

Sisko was a good hard negotiator.  Quark grew.  Odo was always a bit weird.  Among the things I always enjoyed about all the Star Trek shows was that they always managed to come up with some special character who was "different".  Too many other sci-fi shows just had some human with antennas.  From Spock to the Voyager Doctor, each was interesting and unique.  And each explored what it meant to be "intelligent".

Online Sal1981

« Reply #320 on: February 10, 2018, 07:26:33 PM »
Watched 2 episodes of the Netflix series Altered Carbon. It's very Blade Runner-esque.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool" --- Richard P. Feynman

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #321 on: February 13, 2018, 09:42:11 AM »
Sisko was a good hard negotiator.  Quark grew.  Odo was always a bit weird.  Among the things I always enjoyed about all the Star Trek shows was that they always managed to come up with some special character who was "different".  Too many other sci-fi shows just had some human with antennas.  From Spock to the Voyager Doctor, each was interesting and unique.  And each explored what it meant to be "intelligent".

I will easily admit that the first time I saw the 1701 Enterprise in 1967, I was in awe of anything they did.  I was 17.  But as time went on, I grew and they didn't really.  Until New Generation.  And then DS9 and Voyager.  And then the movies.

I began to study the special characters.  Spock, Data, Guigan, the Doctor, Odo, 7 of 9.  They were all very different, but each was exploring some part of our human nature.  Someday, I may write about that.

Online Mr.Obvious

« Reply #322 on: February 14, 2018, 05:08:04 PM »
I heard netflix came out with a great anime series.

Three episodes into kakegurui, I'm starting to suspect people meant devilman crybaby.
E = Mc²

In the end, we are all standing in the dark,
trying to figure out why we are here.
But let us not choose one direction
without proof of where it is headed.

Check your pocket for matches
so we can observe and learn together
as fast friends and relative idiots.

Online Sal1981

« Reply #323 on: February 16, 2018, 08:13:20 PM »
Have ya'll seen Black Mirror?

Currently watching the first season, and it's quite an intriguing hypothetical about how Internet has changed the society.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool" --- Richard P. Feynman

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk