Author Topic: TV Series Thread  (Read 21982 times)

Re: TV Series Thread
« Reply #285 on: November 04, 2017, 11:40:36 PM »
The Walking Dead 8x02

I really liked this episode!  It actually feels like an all-out war.  And yeah, I gave them a pass and stopped counting ammo or else I'd drive myself crazy this episode.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 11:48:51 PM by Hydra009 »

« Reply #286 on: November 06, 2017, 01:01:55 PM »
The Walking Dead 8x03

I absolutely love The Kingdom!

They might have a goofy dramatic flair and other eccentricities, but they're good people with a strong, close-knit, capable community.  And their reliance on horses over vehicles highlights their pragmatic, unassuming nature.  Even their armor, which admittedly is poorly protective and ill-fitting, at least offers some protection and serves as a uniform to allow Kingdomers to recognize each other at a glance and helps them stand out from other survivors.

Offline Mr.Obvious

« Reply #287 on: November 07, 2017, 03:13:19 AM »
Stranger Things season 2 was pretty epic.

I love how the show boils up until the last two episodes. The boiling is intense and intriguing. And then the climax, it feels deserved and is just amazing.
And such great characters!
E = Mc²

In the end, we are all standing in the dark,
trying to figure out why we are here.
But let us not choose one direction
without proof of where it is headed.

Check your pocket for matches
so we can observe and learn together
as fast friends and relative idiots.

Offline Mr.Obvious

« Reply #288 on: November 07, 2017, 01:57:52 PM »
Stranger things speculation.
Contains spoilers up to and including season 2

« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 03:06:34 PM by Mr.Obvious »
E = Mc²

In the end, we are all standing in the dark,
trying to figure out why we are here.
But let us not choose one direction
without proof of where it is headed.

Check your pocket for matches
so we can observe and learn together
as fast friends and relative idiots.

Offline trdsf

« Reply #289 on: November 07, 2017, 03:02:12 PM »
Getting caught up on Doctor Who in time for the regeneration, and QI Series O is on.
"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning." -- Calvin and Hobbes
"I thought I committed regicide today, but I committed deicide!" -- Sadie Doyle, Beyond Belief

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #290 on: November 11, 2017, 07:48:43 AM »
Getting caught up on Doctor Who in time for the regeneration, and QI Series O is on.

I haven't seen the new Doctor. Read it is a female now.  I must not be looking around at the right times.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!  b 1950

Offline trdsf

« Reply #291 on: November 12, 2017, 12:31:28 AM »
I haven't seen the new Doctor. Read it is a female now.  I must not be looking around at the right times.
They haven't had her intro episode yet.  That'll be on Newton's Birthday (commonly celebrated as Xmas).
"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning." -- Calvin and Hobbes
"I thought I committed regicide today, but I committed deicide!" -- Sadie Doyle, Beyond Belief

« Reply #292 on: November 13, 2017, 03:17:21 PM »
Walking Dead 8x04

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #293 on: November 15, 2017, 04:58:04 AM »
They haven't had her intro episode yet.  That'll be on Newton's Birthday (commonly celebrated as Xmas).

Thank you.  Saved me 6 weeks of searching the screen TV guide looking for it until then. 

A female Doctor Who should be a very interesting new approach. 

Offline trdsf

« Reply #294 on: November 15, 2017, 11:44:03 AM »
Thank you.  Saved me 6 weeks of searching the screen TV guide looking for it until then. 

A female Doctor Who should be a very interesting new approach.
It's been floated a couple times.  Tom Baker infamously trolled his retirement announcement by offering his best wishes to his successor "whoever he or she may be".  They considered a female Doctor to try to reinvigorate the show after Colin Baker.  And of course there was a lot of buzz that Smith's successor might be either a woman or a non-white actor (I was hoping for Sue Perkins personally).  I suspected the reason they regenerated the Master into Missy was to test the waters.

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #295 on: November 15, 2017, 12:13:30 PM »
It's been floated a couple times.  Tom Baker infamously trolled his retirement announcement by offering his best wishes to his successor "whoever he or she may be".  They considered a female Doctor to try to reinvigorate the show after Colin Baker.  And of course there was a lot of buzz that Smith's successor might be either a woman or a non-white actor (I was hoping for Sue Perkins personally).  I suspected the reason they regenerated the Master into Missy was to test the waters.

Well I certainly will be prepared for acceptance.

With the acknowledgement that there have been male Doctors I did not like and there could be the wrong woman as The Doctor.  But time heals many dislikes.  I hated ST:TNG at first, but loved ST:Voyager from the get-go.

The right person, the right quirky characteristics, the right attitude, and I'm on board...  But one thought...  Oh please don't let the new Doctor dress all frilly.  I'd gag.

Offline trdsf

« Reply #296 on: November 15, 2017, 12:41:56 PM »
Well I certainly will be prepared for acceptance.

With the acknowledgement that there have been male Doctors I did not like and there could be the wrong woman as The Doctor.  But time heals many dislikes.  I hated ST:TNG at first, but loved ST:Voyager from the get-go.

The right person, the right quirky characteristics, the right attitude, and I'm on board...  But one thought...  Oh please don't let the new Doctor dress all frilly.  I'd gag.
They've revealed her outfit.  It is not frilly.  It's a throwback to the quirkier and idiosyncratic styles of the original series, and there are a number of sartorial shout-outs to previous Doctors.

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #297 on: November 15, 2017, 12:49:21 PM »
They've revealed her outfit.  It is not frilly.  It's a throwback to the quirkier and idiosyncratic styles of the original series, and there are a number of sartorial shout-outs to previous Doctors.

OUTSTANDING!  I love the "long trench coat" idea.  I was thinking "lab coat", but that's close.  Might there be a scarf?  Or is this one all utterly practical?  That might be too much like the previous Doctor.  There has to be something odd.  Interesting...

Offline trdsf

« Reply #298 on: November 15, 2017, 01:04:11 PM »
OUTSTANDING!  I love the "long trench coat" idea.  I was thinking "lab coat", but that's close.  Might there be a scarf?  Or is this one all utterly practical?  That might be too much like the previous Doctor.  There has to be something odd.  Interesting...
The stripes on the shirt and coat are roughly the colors of the Fourth Doctor's first couple scarves (I know, I've knit two of them).  The coat is the color of the Seventh Doctor's first jacket, but cut long like Baker's or Smith's.  There's been a lot of discussion about a scarf in the fandom -- on a different forum I belong to, I pointed out that she has one, if she can remember where she hung it up a few regenerations back.  `:)`

I think it's an outfit that's psychologically reminiscent of Pat Troughton's or Tom Baker's: it says "You're going to underestimate me, and then I'm going to crush you."

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #299 on: November 15, 2017, 01:20:55 PM »
The stripes on the shirt and coat are roughly the colors of the Fourth Doctor's first couple scarves (I know, I've knit two of them).  The coat is the color of the Seventh Doctor's first jacket, but cut long like Baker's or Smith's.  There's been a lot of discussion about a scarf in the fandom -- on a different forum I belong to, I pointed out that she has one, if she can remember where she hung it up a few regenerations back.  `:)`

I think it's an outfit that's psychologically reminiscent of Pat Troughton's or Tom Baker's: it says "You're going to underestimate me, and then I'm going to crush you."

I don't know the Doctors like you do.  But I like your analysis.  I can at least remember them when you mention them.