Author Topic: TV Series Thread  (Read 126851 times)

Offline SGOS

Re: TV Series Thread
« Reply #1275 on: November 20, 2021, 04:36:15 AM »
Watching dexter: new blood, currently.

Yes. Just yes.
Dexter had been getting a bit more stale in the later seasons.
I think by the later seasons, I got used to the tension that drives the series.  I became confident that Dexter would always find a way to escape his latest jam, and I didn't find it as necessary to watch the next episode just for the relief it would provide.  I also got used to the fact that the tension was never going to go away.  Having said that, I never even considered missing an episode.

Of all the TV series I've seen, Dexter and Breaking Bad would tie for first place, although I would probably give a slight edge to Dexter... maybe.  Nothing else comes close to being in contention, IMO.  I didn't know New Blood was out, so I guess I have to sign up for Showtime again.

Offline Shiranu

« Reply #1276 on: November 20, 2021, 04:54:15 AM »
Rewatching Deep Space Nine... I tried to rewatch The Next Generation, but my god that show has aged horribly.

DS9 on the other hand? *Chefs' kiss*. Starts strong and only gets better.

I need to give Dexter and Breaking Bad a go sometime, I think I got a season into BB before I stopped watching it...
Terrorism is when you do what we do but wear a different uniform than us.

Online drunkenshoe

« Reply #1277 on: November 20, 2021, 05:44:38 AM »
We have a kind of saying as 'the country's Dexter need'. It could easily be 'a country's Dexter need'. LOL How much does your country need Dexter(s)?
"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are good people and bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides." Havelock Vetinari

Offline SGOS

« Reply #1278 on: November 20, 2021, 07:04:00 AM »
Our biggest problem is not cleaning up the messes of serial killers, so Dexter wouldn't change much.  Our biggest problems are happy gun owners that go berserk in the malls during unplanned psychotic breaks.

Online drunkenshoe

« Reply #1279 on: November 24, 2021, 02:14:34 PM »
I've just started Fargo's 3rd season. It's really good.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 12:48:39 AM by drunkenshoe »
"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are good people and bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides." Havelock Vetinari

Offline Hydra009

« Reply #1280 on: November 24, 2021, 07:34:41 PM »
Rewatching Deep Space Nine... I tried to rewatch The Next Generation, but my god that show has aged horribly.

DS9 on the other hand? *Chefs' kiss*. Starts strong and only gets better.
Imho, TNG is very different pre Best Of Both Worlds and post Best Of Both Worlds (Borg, Picard was assimilated, Battle of Wolf 359)

TNG had some fantastic talent which was sadly wasted on mediocre stories and the show in general suffered from its episodic rather than serial format (Babylon 5 was its polar opposite there).  Still, it helped bridge the gap between the replicated ham factory that was the TOS and the more... (mature?  realistic?  touching?) ....genuine 90s era.

DS9 is imo the best Trek show, period.  I am prepared to die on this hill and I have 5,000 photon torpedo armed and ready to launch.  Feel free to scan.

But even DS9 had its occasional bad episode.  I have to skip the baseball episode, anything with Vic Fontane, and a surprisingly large amount of Quark cross-dressing scenes.  That infamous bait-and-switch scene...

Still, dat Dominion War arc.  A true masterpiece.  And Gul Dukat remains Trek's most compelling villain, imo.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2021, 10:40:54 PM by Hydra009 »

« Reply #1281 on: November 24, 2021, 09:55:58 PM »
We just finished watching all eight seasons of Badehotellet (Seaside Hotel), a Danish dramedy set in the 1920s, 30s, and 40s about the guests and staff at a small hotel on the North Sea. It has an authentic period feel and is well-acted. The storylines are comfortably predictable yet engaging.

Offline the_antithesis

« Reply #1282 on: November 24, 2021, 11:48:12 PM »
... I tried to rewatch The Next Generation, but my god that show has aged horribly.
You probably started with season one. Start with season two or three. Three is more consistent. Season one is almost entirely made out olf unwatchable garbage.