News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

TV Series Thread

Started by PickelledEggs, August 26, 2014, 06:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

Adds more tragedy to a character who was already tragic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_xJtjO-jMo
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

drunkenshoe

I know I wrote it before, but could you guys look into Fleabag please?  *Amazon.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Blackleaf

What If...?

Episode 4: "What If... Doctor Strange Lost His Heart Instead of His Hands?"

Wow. This show's really shifted tones. The first two episodes were light hearted and funny. Third episode was kinda dark, but still funny. This one's just full on dark and sad, and I love it.

[spoiler]This is more along the lines of what I was expecting with this show. In the movies, things typically work out for the best, due in large part to a lot of luck. Basically, if the plot demands a good ending, it will come by some means. So it could be argued that the movies are the best possible timeline, or at least one of the very good ones. But what if the hero doesn't get lucky? What if you one part of the story that drastically changes the timeline? Then you get something like this, where Doctor Strange accidentally breaks reality, and the timeline itself falls apart. One part I found really cool was how Dr. Strange interacted with The Watcher, the show's narrator. It made sense within the show's plot, but it was also kind of a forth wall break. Very good episode. I think this one is my favorite so far, just because of how far they take this idea. I wonder, though, if future episodes will be as bleak, or if they'll return to the goofiness of the earlier episodes.[/spoiler]

Episode 5: "What If... Zombies!?"

It had to happen eventually. I know the comics did this kind of thing already, but I avoided it, because some of the ideas were a bit too gross for me to handle. Zombie Spider-Man doesn't use webbing to swing. He uses his veins... Yeck. I don't like to think about. I doubted this show would get that graphic, though. And, yeah. It's pretty PG. No blood or guts. It's about as safe as one could get with a zombie apocalypse. And it's pretty well written too.

[spoiler]Seems the zombies in this universe have at least some of their intelligence left. Otherwise, the zombified heroes wouldn't be much of a threat. Iron Man knows how to use his technology, magicians still know how to cast magic, etc. The twist with Vision was...I didn't see it coming, but it made sense with his character. The episode seems to end a bit prematurely, though. We're meant to assume they successfully cured the world of zombies, but what happens then? Do the zombified just collapse, unresponsive? Or do they come back to life, with chunks of their flesh missing? And then they show us Thanos with all of the Infinity Stones, he snaps his fingers, and the episode is over? Come on! You can't do that to us! What does zombie Thanos wish for? Does he wish to zombify the whole universe, or is his goal the same? If there's a zombie outbreak, it's not like starvation is a concern anymore. Everybody just eats flesh now. If people die of hunger, it will be because zombies ran out of living to feast on. This is the second time they've left an episode on a cliffhanger, and I doubt they're going to have a part 2 at some point. Unless season 2 is going to continue each timeline they started, aside from Strange's for...obvious reasons.[/spoiler]
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Just finished What If episode 4.  It's basically the Thousand Sons backstory, lol.

Hydra009

Lower Decks.  Star Trek show where low-ranking crew get up to wacky hijinks.  I thought it might get stale after a while, but it has really grown on me.

As much as it rips on Trek, it does genuinely have a soft spot for boldly going (the two tech/science geniuses are lovable and their enthusiasm is infectious), albeit acknowledging that sometimes being a stickler for the rules does more harm than good.

As a guy who's sick of death of scifi dystopia after dystopia, I really like tuning into a show where most people are genuinely good people trying to do good things and love to learn and grow as people.  There's something super wholesome about that vision of the future.

Shiranu

Wandavision got cheated at the Emmy's, but what's new?
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

Speak of Mephisto, I was just watching a video about Wandavision's central mystery and how it was told.

Mysteries tend to operate by certain rules.  Something (usually bad) happens, you're introduced to the setting and characters, the author then reveals clues that you use to figure out who done it and why.  Eventually, the author reveals everything, but if you're sharp enough, you can figure out who done it before the big reveal.

We know something's wrong in Westview.  We know Wanda is linked to it somehow.  Clues: the airplane, the beekeeper, the radio, the Sword logo, the commercials, the end credits viewed from afar as a sitcom in-universe, etc.  Vision could have been great as our Watson, piecing stuff together and helping us along our journey of discovery.

But then something happens.  Almost everything is revealed in episode 4, way before the audience could reasonably piece everything together.  So when Vision starts piecing things together, it falls flat because the audience already knows everything he's discovering.  There were some reveals after that, but the central mystery is utterly gone and these reveals don't really qualify as mysteries because they're either blindingly obvious (suspicious person did something bad, no way!) or impossible to predict (John P. Erection)

So a lot of Wandavision's appeal just kinda died on the vine, sad to say.

Shiranu

In my defense, I watch these shows either wasted or stoned out of my mind and so these key moments are very exciting and new to me.

Shiranu

Star Wars: Visions ... only about 5 minutes in, but holy shit this is fucking cool.

Think Star Wars meets Kurazawa meets anime, and you have the first episode. Holy shit.

Mr.Obvious

My brother and sister and sister in law are buying disney+ for a year for my gf's birthday. Yay!
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Hydra009

Quote from: Shiranu on September 23, 2021, 02:27:51 AMIn my defense, I watch these shows either wasted or stoned out of my mind and so these key moments are very exciting and new to me.
Don't get me wrong, just cause Wandavision had a couple flaws doesn't mean it wasn't damn good.  I'm just picking a show apart, analyzing the hell out of it, and figuring out what could have been better.  My own little What If, so to speak.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Shiranu on September 23, 2021, 03:08:48 AM
Star Wars: Visions ... only about 5 minutes in, but holy shit this is fucking cool.

Think Star Wars meets Kurazawa meets anime, and you have the first episode. Holy shit.

I was a bit confused when I first saw it. But after giving it a watch, I concur. It is very good. What people should understand about the series is that each episode is its own self-contained story, each with its own characters and unique art style. So aside from the anime style and the Star Wars setting, each episode is an entirely different experience. If you like anime and you like Star Wars, you will probably like Star Wars: Visions.
--Fulke Greville--

Shiranu

Just watched Ep. 4, "The Village Bride" ... really good episode. Episode 2 was okay, I wasn't big on episode 3's animation or voices (though the premise was interesting), so it was nice to see it hitting it's stride again.

1. Like the first episode it really wore it's influences on it's sleeve; mysterious stranger/gunslinger/ronin protects village being raided by bandits. It's cliche in both Westerns and Samurai movies, but it's cliche for a reason... it's a good story.

2. I like that it shows a more nature-oriented cultures interpretation of the force; you would think more cultures in the Star Wars universe would have mythical stories about it's magic, but maybe by the time of the Republic it was kind of like our world; technology has progressed so far that "civilized" people are so far removed from even thinking of it as folktales and superstition that it's not something most people are even aware of.

3. The animation is just really pretty.

Edit: 4. The soundtrack is done by the guy who did Nier Automata, so you know it good.

SGOS

The Exorcist 2016 FOX
I've watched two episodes.  It's interesting and well acted.  Pretty much expands on the original premise of the first 1970s film and borrows from the creep scenes, but also adds some of it's own.  The original movie was one of the most terrifying cinematic events of my life, but after watching it a couple more times the shock is gone.  The same for the FOX series.  It's not hold onto your seat horror, but well done so far.  It only went for two seasons and the third was cancelled, but I've seen TV series that were a lot worse that lasted much longer.  I don't know if that means anything or not.

Blackleaf

What If...? Episode 8: "What If...Ultron Won?"

Non-spoiler version: This is the ONE episode where watch order matters. Don't watch this one until after you've seen the previous episodes. The show has taken quite a turn.

Spoiler version: [spoiler]So, that scene where Dr. Strange hears The Watcher and asks him for help was building up to something, and it wasn't just a one-time thing. Very interesting. Future episodes, of course, will be affected by this turn. The Watcher has breaken their promise, and they've agreed to help a fallen timeline in exchange for the help of its Sorcerer Supreme. Next episode, I assume, they work together to beat Ultron and save the multiverse. But what then?[/spoiler]
--Fulke Greville--