News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

TV Series Thread

Started by PickelledEggs, August 26, 2014, 06:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trdsf

The #MakeMoreMST3K Kickstarter is in its final day; they're $62,000 short of the final stretch goal with until 11pmEDT to get there.  They hit the base goal of $2 million in one day; the final stretch goal is $5.5 million for a full 12 episode Season 13 (including two hosted by Joel himself, putting him in the theater for the first time in almost 30 years), plus a bonus goal of $5.8 million, the reward for which is still a secret... but I trust Joel, I bet it's awesome.

And since I started typing this message, they now only need $59,000 for the last stretch goal.

Joel's right -- he doesn't need a network, the MSTies are self-supporting.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Blackleaf

Realized I never talked about the Falcon & the Winter Soldier finale. Non-spoiler version: I liked it. I thought it was a satisfying conclusion to the story. Even if it feels a little soon for it to be ending. However, seeing this series as a whole now, it seems less like "Falcon & the Winter Soldier" and more like "Falcon: Featuring the Winter Soldier." Bucky gets his time to shine, and he has some character development in the show, but the story seems less interested in him than in Sam. But he was another candidate for inheriting Sam's shield, so it's interesting to see the three possible Captain America successors interact with each other, seeing how they contrast, and how this dispute is resolved.

[spoiler]Sam's Captain America costume is awesome, and his speech is very well done. I think it was kind of a copout to have the villain killed by someone else, though. It feels like they did that so they could kill her off without Sam compromising his morals. Also, didn't expect the failed Captain to become an ally at the last minute. Guess even he can't deny Sam was a better fit for the shield than himself. Still don't know what Elaine from Seinfeld's deal is. I guess they're saving that for a second season or a different show. Also looks like the Flag Smashers are still active and may return in the future. Overall, I'm glad I watched this.[/spoiler]
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Blackleaf

@Hydra009 - Why aren't you on Discord yet? I'm cycling through streaming services. Planning to go with Amazon Prime next and need suggestions. I'm already caught up on Cobra Kai. I plan to watch the rest of The Boys. I remember you recommending a sci-fi show, but I don't remember the name. And then there's that superhero cartoon people have been meming recently.

"Think, think, think!"

"You are a toy, Buzz! Think!"
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

I'm not a big fan of Discord.  And that meme is from the superhero show Inv..

That meme is inherently super spoilery, so I don't recommend looking at any Invincible memes online unless you want to get spoiled hard.  The subreddit spoiled me on stuff from the comics even after I had already watched the entire show lol.  Nowhere is safe!

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on May 07, 2021, 11:45:30 AM[spoiler]Sam's Captain America costume is awesome, and his speech is very well done. I think it was kind of a copout to have the villain killed by someone else, though. It feels like they did that so they could kill her off without Sam compromising his morals. Also, didn't expect the failed Captain to become an ally at the last minute. Guess even he can't deny Sam was a better fit for the shield than himself. Still don't know what Elaine from Seinfeld's deal is. I guess they're saving that for a second season or a different show. Also looks like the Flag Smashers are still active and may return in the future. Overall, I'm glad I watched this.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Imho, Bucky had a full character arc - he started as a directionless, post-traumatic ex-soldier, stopped avenging and starting helping people, put the past behind him, and grew to have normal human relationships with Sam and Sam's family.  Him smiling after waking up nightmare-free on Sam's couch was his moment of triumph - the completion of his personal journey that started in Wakanda.

I liked Sam's speech as much as the next guy, but wtf does "do better" even mean in policy terms?  Are we resettling and reseting or not?

Elaine is awesome AF and I am so intrigued by everything going on with her and Kirkland Captain America.  Speaking of psycho Cap, of course he's an ally.  He wanted to team up from literally day one.  It was Black Falcon and Wintersoldat who turned him down.  And just because he made one whoopsie doesn't mean he's 100% evil from there on out.  Revenge undeniably is a motivation, but he has other motivations, too.  He got those Medals of Honor for a reason, albeit an unclear and possibly not purely virtuous reason.

And lol, the Flag Smashers are very much dead.  Zemo's butler blew the crap out of them before they could escape with Flag Smasher-friendly police.  Even in jail, Zemo is chalking up wins.[/spoiler]

Blackleaf

FFS. That was the most intrusive product placement I've ever seen.
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

I wanted one so bad to drink while watching that show, but covid and lack of wide availability dashed my hope.  Just as well.  Awful stuff, or so I've heard.

Mr.Obvious

We began watching 'raised by wolves'. This show is really speaking to me. Mostly the atmosphere of the vast empty, mostly dead universe. And a humanity divided tearing itself to pieces in its midst. The futility of that, always captivates me.
Only watched 2 episodes so far. But almost immediately, I recognized ridley Scott's touch.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Hydra009

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on May 30, 2021, 04:06:14 PMWe began watching 'raised by wolves'. This show is really speaking to me. Mostly the atmosphere of the vast empty, mostly dead universe. And a humanity divided tearing itself to pieces in its midst. The futility of that, always captivates me.
Only watched 2 episodes so far. But almost immediately, I recognized ridley Scott's touch.
It gets sooo good! ...and then kinda weird.

Hydra009

I'm watching Vikings, and despite their frequent goofs (lit braziers during midday lol) it looks like they really did their homework with the Native Americans of what I assume is supposed to be Vinland.

They look fairly advanced, with permanent wood-framed dwellings (surprisingly spacious!), canoes, cloth robes and pants, fur pelts, bone/seashell jewellery, distinct tribal warpaint, and possibly even some metalworking or at least trade with metalworkers.  And the actors speaking what I assume is a historically-accurate native language is a big plus.

Probably the best representation of natives since Westworld season 2.  Very humanizing, with the natives behaving as civilized people rather than the usual savage depiction.  Don't get that very often on TV.

Hydra009

LOKI!

I love the Time Variance Authority (TVA for short).  Its yellow-orange ambiance and iconography reminds me a lot of Ouroboros from City of Heroes, which has an almost identical function.

I like how bemused and/or irritated they are by outsiders.  It really shows that they've seen it all.

[spoiler]And my favorite part of this episode was that we finally see Mephisto on screen!   :evil:[/spoiler]

trdsf

Watching old Julia Child episodes on Roku.  I'm still not sure I would try brains or sweetbreads, but she definitely made them less scary.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Mike Cl

Quote from: trdsf on June 09, 2021, 02:00:45 PM
Watching old Julia Child episodes on Roku.  I'm still not sure I would try brains or sweetbreads, but she definitely made them less scary.
Memories.  When my daughter was 5-7, she loved Julia Child.  And I had to watch every show for almost two years.  I could never figure out what the attraction was--cooking of the weird voice--but whatever, she did not want to miss a show.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Sorginak

I really enjoyed WandaVision, it was so well done, so I think I'll like Loki just because of his character.

What I have no interest in watching, however, is The Falcon and the Winter Soldier.

What I am currently watching is Sweet Tooth.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12809988/
QuoteA boy who is half human and half deer survives in a post-apocalyptic world with other hybrids.

trdsf

Quote from: Mike Cl on June 09, 2021, 02:18:16 PM
Memories.  When my daughter was 5-7, she loved Julia Child.  And I had to watch every show for almost two years.  I could never figure out what the attraction was--cooking of the weird voice--but whatever, she did not want to miss a show.
I think it's the same thing that makes Bob Ross so much fun to watch -- confidence in the viewer's ability to do this too.  It comes across from both of them.